IBM Laptop XFree86 Setup Problems

Post by kontama » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:27:27

I've got an IBM 760xl laptop and cannot configure the correct settings for
the X server with Redhat 7.3.

I've tried these links but still don't work:

http://home.planet.nl/~hkreb/tp760XL/Linux760XL.htm

http://www.geocities.com/digitallyblunted/Linuxlaptop.html

I constantly get an out of sync display.  The Redhat distro auto detects the
trident 9660 driver and
I've chosen the generic 800x600 laptop display and the IBM 9514-B display
but still gives me
the same problems...

I've even changed it to the Trident 9385 driver...still the same problems..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

IBM Laptop XFree86 Setup Problems

Post by with.. » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:29:45

Try this one:

http://www.sanpei.org/Laptop-X/Laptop-X/IBM_ThinkPad_760XL

You can find it through the Xfree86 link on
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com (which you already found).

If that doesn't work, try tweaking the mode line by hand. You can
try the XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO.

good luck

IBM Laptop XFree86 Setup Problems

Post by 4seaso » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:47:49

For what it's worth, I had a lot of trouble with my ThinkPad 365X and never
did get it to work reliably with XFree86 4.x & Red Hat 7.1 (I admit I
didn't fuss with it too long) but 3.3.x and Suse 7.3 works okay. But
there's a quirk with this machine which causes a blank screen with 2 orange
lines when X starts. The solution is to do an Fn-F7, and it works okay
until the next reboot. A big difference between 3.3.x and 4.x seems to be
that 3.3.x uses the SVGA driver for Trident support whereas 4.x has a
dedicated driver.

Oh, and don't forget that if you're using XFree86 4.x, your config file is
probably XF86Config-4.

The ONE TIME I got 4.x to work was after an install of the latest Peanut
Linux: I was fussing with plugging and unplugging an external monitor when
*bing*-there it was on my ThinkPad LCD, latest KDE and all. I woudn't begin
to know how to repeat this lucky break! But it was so painfully slow on my
133 MHz machine that it was a moot point, and I decided that a leaner
environment than Gnome or KDE was called for. WindowMaker works pretty
well, and so does Sawfish, running directly atop X (it's pretty minimal,
but I kind of like it)

I haven't done too much with the ThinkPad since that time: I'm still
wanting to pare the OS down further for better performance, probably more
than the Red Hat and SuSe installers will allow. Despite being small,
Peanut didn't seem to be the answer either--it seems to assume a faster
processor than I have--but Debian should be interesting, as it makes kernel
customization (relatively) easy. My experiences in moving to Debian after
years of Red Hat and Suse is a whole 'nother story in itself, but I no
longer feel like tearing my hair out, so I've made progress ;-)

Jeff

> I've got an IBM 760xl laptop and cannot configure the correct settings for
> the X server with Redhat 7.3.

> I've tried these links but still don't work:

> http://home.planet.nl/~hkreb/tp760XL/Linux760XL.htm

> http://www.geocities.com/digitallyblunted/Linuxlaptop.html

> I constantly get an out of sync display.  The Redhat distro auto detects
> the trident 9660 driver and
> I've chosen the generic 800x600 laptop display and the IBM 9514-B display
> but still gives me
> the same problems...

> I've even changed it to the Trident 9385 driver...still the same
> problems..

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

IBM Laptop XFree86 Setup Problems

Post by kontama » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:29:28

Thank you for your advice!
As soon as I get some time... I'll try your suggestions..

Quote:> I've got an IBM 760xl laptop and cannot configure the correct settings for
> the X server with Redhat 7.3.

> I've tried these links but still don't work:

> http://home.planet.nl/~hkreb/tp760XL/Linux760XL.htm

> http://www.geocities.com/digitallyblunted/Linuxlaptop.html

> I constantly get an out of sync display.  The Redhat distro auto detects
the
> trident 9660 driver and
> I've chosen the generic 800x600 laptop display and the IBM 9514-B display
> but still gives me
> the same problems...

> I've even changed it to the Trident 9385 driver...still the same
problems..

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

1. IBM TP750CS Laptop, PCMCIA SCSI setup/install problem

I was wondering if anyone could assist me with this problem:

I once got slackware 96 installed successfully on my IBM
Thinkpad 750CS with Adaptec SlimSCSI by first having booted dos to get the
power turned on for the pcmcia cards. This means that 'pcmcia in use' LED
was lit, and stayed lit after a warm boot.

I recently needed to replace my dos with win95(horrors, I know), and find
that there is no way to reproduce this same fix, to the best of my knowledge.
When I install linux now, I get the same error indication from the scsi
controller which I got before I discovered about booting dos- which is that it
cannot find any of the devices I have attached to the scsi controller. I
use the boot command line:

ramdisk floppy=thinkpad aha152x=0x340,11,7,1

Any assistance you could offer would be deeply appreciated.
--

Computer, Education, and Community Development Consultant

2. Sys call for Available Memory? - Attempts to help, but still no answer after months. :-(

3. Setup of XFree86 3.3.1 on Toshiba 305CDS laptop

4. Newbie question

5. Xfree86 setup for IBM Thinkpad385xd model no.2635-8eu

6. Mailing everyone in one shot

7. IBM A31p laptop, IBM 2631 Docking Station and Mandrake 9.1

8. kproc consuming all the CPU

9. Laptop mounting problem in IBM Thinkpad 380ED

10. Display size problem on IBM ThinkPad 365XD laptop?

11. IBM Thinkpad 750C Laptop problems

12. Keyboard problem in Linux-Mandrake 5.3/IBM laptop

13. Problem with IBM 770 Laptop....