Problems with Netscape 4.6x and Netscape 4.7x

Problems with Netscape 4.6x and Netscape 4.7x

Post by Lammergeie » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello.

I am having a few problems with Netscape Communicator, and I recently bought
Redhat 62 Professional Edition. While I purchased this edition to take
advantage of the numerous networking applications within, I had also hoped
that the upgrade would solve my Netscape communicator problems that had
ocurred when I was using Redhat 6.2 Deluxe Edition.

Now, I get down to describing my problems.

At some point during the period that I was running Netscape Communicator 4.6
on Redhat 6.1, the browser suddenly hanged for several minutes after being
started up when I was working offline. I subscribe to a dial-in internet
service. After those few minutes, the home page, which was a file on the
local harddisk would load. Communicator 4.6 setup with the initial
installation of Redhat 6.1

Ever since that event, the same thing occurs everytime I start up
Communicator.

Ive got other communicator problems too. For instance, Communicator crashes
when the Java 1.2.2 plugin from Blackdown has been installed, as it does
with the Macromedia Flash 4 plugin.

In an attempt to solve these problems, I uninstalled all the Netscape RPMs,
and deleted the /usr/local/netscape directory. Then I reinstalled all the
Netscape RPMs that go with Communicator and reconfigured everything.

The above problems remained.

I once again uninstalled all the Netscape RPMs and installed all the RPMs
associated with Navigator 4.6, and tried again.  The first problem ceased.
But the latter two problems remained.

The upgrade to Redhat 6.2 Professional did not bring about improvement in
the above situation.

I need to view sites with Flash 4 content and run Java applets on my Linux
machine, but am unable to do under present conditions.

Would you please advise on the solution to my Communicator problems.

Regards.

Kelvin

Problems with Netscape 4.6x and Netscape 4.7x

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Hello.

>I am having a few problems with Netscape Communicator, and I recently bought
>Redhat 62 Professional Edition. While I purchased this edition to take
>advantage of the numerous networking applications within, I had also hoped
>that the upgrade would solve my Netscape communicator problems that had
>ocurred when I was using Redhat 6.2 Deluxe Edition.

>Now, I get down to describing my problems.

>At some point during the period that I was running Netscape Communicator 4.6
>on Redhat 6.1, the browser suddenly hanged for several minutes after being
>started up when I was working offline. I subscribe to a dial-in internet
>service. After those few minutes, the home page, which was a file on the
>local harddisk would load. Communicator 4.6 setup with the initial
>installation of Redhat 6.1

What is the order of your /etc/host.conf file?
Make sure it is 'hosts,bind'. Seems netscape
is looking to the net for dns and timing out.

Quote:>Ever since that event, the same thing occurs everytime I start up
>Communicator.

>I've got other communicator problems too. For instance, Communicator crashes
>when the Java 1.2.2 plugin from Blackdown has been installed, as it does
>with the Macromedia Flash 4 plugin.

Known problem, this java and netscape tiff. I think I read
a post yesterday stating that this has to do with fonts. I
believe java needs the misc fonts and these are missing.
Do a Deja search, you should get some hits. This is the
first I have heard of the Flash problem.

[...]

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
Allen's Axiom:

1. Netscape 4.7x pop up list problem

Hi,

I'm running Redhat 7.2 and am using communicator for some web access I
require.  The problem is that when a pop up (drop down) list is too long,
I cannot access the whole list because the bottom section of the list
disappears off the screen.  With netscape 6 this does not occur because
the pop up lists have a scroll bar.

I can't use cursor keys to try and get to the bottom items on the list
and Ican't see them so the mouse can't get them.  Interestingly, on
Freebsd 4.5 with linux communicator 4.79 the list goes close to the
bottom of the screen and gives a "more" option which when selected gives
the bottom items on a list next to the first.

Apparently communicator is getting confused about screen area for the
list.I've also had the same problem on a machine running debian sid.  I'm
running KDE 2.2.2 but I've had the problem with twm as well.  The machine
is mostly stock RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.9, running XFree 4.1.

Any suggestions for tackling this problem?

Thanks!

ps.  I need to use communicator for various reasons, so another browser
is not an option.

2. Poweroff on ABIT KX7-333

3. Netscape 4.7X

4. Sun Expert Exchange on x86

5. Netscape 4.7x and spell check

6. WANTED: linux machine/vendor recommendations (laptop & desktop)

7. Non Netscape Proxy between Netscape Commerce Server & Netscape Browser

8. SLIP software for sparc solaris?

9. Netscape 4.7x crashing on Red Hat 7.0

10. Netscape 4.7x and Spell Check

11. 3c509 and 1.3.6x/1.3.7x

12. 1.3.6x 7x ...ipfw...where do we go from here?

13. Solaris 2.6: Netscape 4.6x crashes with Java enabled