Slackware on MS DOS Partition?

Post by Charles W. Bailey, J » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

The Linux Ready-to-Run Slackware from Walnut Creek indicates that you can run Linux from
an MS DOS partition and avoid having to repartition your disk, but I can't find any instructions
on how to do this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Post by Drew Golde » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>The Linux Ready-to-Run Slackware from Walnut Creek indicates that you can run Linux from
>an MS DOS partition and avoid having to repartition your disk, but I can't find any instructions
>on how to do this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

>Best Regards,

Works like a top.  I have installed this on three of my
machines.  You must make the Boot and Colorlite UMSDOS Install
Disks that support the UMSDOS filesystem.  It really is cool.

Linux gets installed on c:\linux and it looks like they have
one file in each directory that keeps track of the "long"
filename - however they did it, it works like a champ.
However, I can tell you that the ext2fs is better speed wise.

drew

1. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

i need to access/share data with an NT machine (not on a network)
i have 10G removable hard drives
i am trying to put a file system on it to allow access by both linux and
NT
linux won't mount an ntfs file system
the NT person put 4 primary (?) dos partitions on the disk
and if i run fdisk in linux it sees 4 FAT16 partitions
but it will only let me mount the first one

how do i mount the other 3 ?

is there some special way the disk needs to be formated by NT ?

thanks for any help,
dan

2. digital unix failed to mount linux 2.2.x kernel nfsd exported filesystem

3. MS DOS Entended Partitions

4. pcmcia setup problems

5. Installing Slackware 2.0 from DOS partition

6. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi (Adaptec 2940 and Linux 3.03)

7. slackware 3.5 on dos/win95 partition

8. a bootp question

9. Problem mounting DOS partition for Slackware

10. BIG PROBLEM: Slackware 1.10 trashes my DOS 6.2 partition on Ultrastor

11. DOS 6.22 partitions and Slackware 2.3 FDISK -- no recognition

12. Installing Slackware to DOS Partition