PS/2 mouse not working!!

Post by John Kenne » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

>  Hi, I have a Gateway 2000 box, and I just finished installing Linux on it.
>  Everything is working fine (even X!), except for the fact that the mouse
>  does not work. The computer has a PS/2 mouse, ...
>  In SETUP, I choose the PS/2 option, ...

  Try recompiling the kernel for the PS/2 mouse.  My gateway works fine.

PS/2 mouse not working!!

Post by Rene Pijlma » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, I have a Gateway 2000 box, and I just finished installing Linux on it.
>Everything is working fine (even X!), except for the fact that the mouse
>does not work. The computer has a PS/2 mouse, and it is therefore not connected
>to COM1, but to an auxiliary port. In SETUP, I choose the PS/2 option, but then
>when I move the mouse (in text mode), all that happens is that, randomly, some
>of the upper portions of the screen become white. When I try to run X, it dies
>complaining that no mouse device was found; if I change the XConfig file to a
>Microsoft type mouse, it runs, but the pointer of course does not move.

>PLEASE HELP!!!!

>Raul Ordonez
>Dept. Electrical Engineering
>The Ohio State University

Raul,

My PS/2 mouse works just fine. Here's my setup:

  /dev/mouse is a symbolic link to /dev/psaux

  XF86Config contains:

        Section "Pointer"
            Protocol    "PS/2"
            Device      "/dev/mouse"
            Emulate3Buttons
        EndSection

  My /var/adm/messages shows the kernel has detected the mouse:
        Apr 16 15:09:50 fortytwo kernel: PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.

  "selection" and "gpm" are not started at boot-up.

HTH,
-Ren\'e Pijlman-                      _-^^-_

                                   //   _ -  /
On no account allow a Vogon       || \  -  /\\
to read poetry at you.            ||  \___/ ||
- Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy ||       //|\

PS/2 mouse not working!!

Post by Tim Jon » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

: Hi, I have a Gateway 2000 box, and I just finished installing Linux on it.
: Everything is working fine (even X!), except for the fact that the mouse
: does not work. The computer has a PS/2 mouse, and it is therefore not connected
: to COM1, but to an auxiliary port. In SETUP, I choose the PS/2 option, but then
: when I move the mouse (in text mode), all that happens is that, randomly, some
: of the upper portions of the screen become white. When I try to run X, it dies
: complaining that no mouse device was found; if I change the XConfig file to a
: Microsoft type mouse, it runs, but the pointer of course does not move.

Raul,

You cannot use select/gpm in text mode if you have a PS/2 mouse.  Check
your rc init files (I believe /etc/rc.d/rc.local) and remove the startup
line for starting gpm (or select if an older Linux version).

Tim

PS/2 mouse not working!!

Post by Patrick Mowe » Mon, 08 May 1995 04:00:00

: Hi, I have a Gateway 2000 box, and I just finished installing Linux on it.
: Everything is working fine (even X!), except for the fact that the mouse
: does not work. The computer has a PS/2 mouse, and it is therefore not connected
: to COM1, but to an auxiliary port. In SETUP, I choose the PS/2 option, but then
: when I move the mouse (in text mode), all that happens is that, randomly, some
: of the upper portions of the screen become white. When I try to run X, it dies
: complaining that no mouse device was found; if I change the XConfig file to a
: Microsoft type mouse, it runs, but the pointer of course does not move.

: PLEASE HELP!!!!

: Raul Ordonez
: Dept. Electrical Engineering
: The Ohio State University

I had the same problem with XConfig until I made sure to set up the mouse
as /dev/ps2aux (I think).  As for using the mouse in shell, I was a slow
learner until I figured out that all it really does is allow you to use
the left mouse button and highlight text then play it back by pressing
the right button (I use it to do more in mc, but like I said, I was a
slow learner :-D )

hope this helps,

Pat Mowers