Catch-22 on Red Hat 7.0+update rpms install

Catch-22 on Red Hat 7.0+update rpms install

Post by Norm » Tue, 15 May 2001 12:24:19

I am faced with the problem of installing Red hat 7.0 plus the
updates from the Red Hat update site.  Attempting, logically,
to install the fixes in date order, I am faced with the
following problem:

When Red Hat updates a module for bug fixes or security more
than once, they go back to the older problem(s) for which
the module had to be updated for, and change the rpm involved
to the newest rpm for the module.  This makes sense in that
you would not have to update the module twice.  However, it
also results in dependency problems after many fixes have
occurred.

Example:  The 2nd and 23rd problems required updating rpm
"larry".  When you try to install larry-*.rpm and the other
rpms needed to fix problem #2, you find that larry-*.rpm
requires the new version of the "moe" rpm that was updated
for problem #17.  When you try to add moe-*.rpm into the rpm
command, you find that moe fails because "shemp" isn't
installed.  Try to install "shemp" and you find out it
multiply defines the routine "__eyepokeclient" along with the
installed version of the curly rpm.  Curly was updated along
with to fix problem #12 (at which point larry and moe could
be installed without curly but now required shemp).  And so
on...

Of course,the Red Hat Network will solve this problem for
you with up2date if you buy a subscription from them, but I
feel it should be possible to create a fully updated system
in some sort of systematic manner.  Has anyone come up with
one that works without a payment or subscription service?
--
Norm (This message does not constitute an endor*t of the
news service which inserted the adverti*t below).

Catch-22 on Red Hat 7.0+update rpms install

Post by Anthony DeRoberti » Tue, 15 May 2001 17:07:27

Quote:> but I feel it should be
> possible to create a fully updated system in some sort of systematic
> manner.

ncftp updates.redhat.com
... get update for your distro ...

rpm -Fhv *.rpm

There is no reason to do them in the order released, or one at a time.
Let RPM work out the dependencies!

If it complains about missing packages, do a rpm -Uhv on them, then try
the rpm -Fhv line again.

You could even use rpm's various dependency options to tell you which
packages must be rpm -U'd first. Once you put all this in a script, you
have an up2date equivelant.

Post by Tim Hayne » Tue, 15 May 2001 19:13:52

> > but I feel it should be
> > possible to create a fully updated system in some sort of systematic
> > manner.

> ncftp updates.redhat.com
> ... get update for your distro ...

> rpm -Fhv *.rpm

Network required, and a good one at that. Here on ADSL at 40-70K/s it took
me 2.5hrs on Friday afternoon to do this. (And not from updates.redhat.com,
either, but from our colo on a jolly nice link.)

Oh, and you'll totally *le on your kernel if you do this. And RPM
itself won't thank you.

Quote:> There is no reason to do them in the order released, or one at a time.
> Let RPM work out the dependencies!

Er. I think if you read the above you'd see that's where he'd gone wrong.

If you really get stuck with these packages, and, worse still, with broken
packages where symbols get redefined in different directions, then you can
always grab the source-RPMs and compile them from there.

~Tim
--

and settled down to sleep.                  | http://www.veryComputer.com/

Catch-22 on Red Hat 7.0+update rpms install

Post by Dimitri Mazi » Wed, 16 May 2001 03:08:58

Quote:> Of course,the Red Hat Network will solve this problem for
> you with up2date if you buy a subscription from them, but I
> feel it should be possible to create a fully updated system
> in some sort of systematic manner.  Has anyone come up with
> one that works without a payment or subscription service?

<advocacy flamebait>
Yes, it's called apt.
</flamebait>

hehehe
Dima
--

http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/descript/gpgkey.dmaziuk.ascii -- GnuPG 1.0.4 public key
We're sysadmins. Sanity happens to other people.         -- Chris King in asr

Post by Tim Hayne » Wed, 16 May 2001 05:38:34

> > Of course,the Red Hat Network will solve this problem for
> > you with up2date if you buy a subscription from them, but I
> > feel it should be possible to create a fully updated system
> > in some sort of systematic manner.  Has anyone come up with
> > one that works without a payment or subscription service?

> <advocacy flamebait>
> Yes, it's called apt.
> </flamebait>

Why is this flamebait?

~Tim
--

Is touching the sacred earth                | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org
And warming the hallowed ground             |

Post by Anthony DeRoberti » Wed, 16 May 2001 12:10:49

> Network required, and a good one at that. Here on ADSL at 40-70K/s it
> took me 2.5hrs on Friday afternoon to do this. (And not from
> updates.redhat.com, either, but from our colo on a jolly nice link.)

*shrug* Guess I'm spoiled from doing it over T1. Not so painful at
300+K/sec.

Quote:

> Oh, and you'll totally *le on your kernel if you do this.

Yes, you'll have to do a mkinitrd, lilo, and whatnot. I guess I forgot
this since I don't use RPM to mange my kernels.

Quote:> And RPM
> itself won't thank you.

I've never had problems of that sort, even going from RPM 3->4.

Post by Anthony DeRoberti » Wed, 16 May 2001 12:11:57

> Why is this flamebait?

Because it won't run on the OP's system?

Post by Tim Hayne » Wed, 16 May 2001 18:13:09

> > Why is this flamebait?

> Because it won't run on the OP's system?

Why wouldn't it run on the OP's system?

~Tim
--

How to get to Sesame Street?                | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org

Post by Christian Ros » Thu, 17 May 2001 10:14:10

> Of course,the Red Hat Network will solve this problem for
> you with up2date if you buy a subscription from them, but I
> feel it should be possible to create a fully updated system
> in some sort of systematic manner.  Has anyone come up with
> one that works without a payment or subscription service?

Yes, up2date. You can use up2date freely and on as many systems you want
and as much as you want. The only thing it takes is going to
https://www.redhat.com/network/ and getting a free RHN account.

Christian

Post by Christian Ros » Thu, 17 May 2001 10:16:12

> > Of course,the Red Hat Network will solve this problem for
> > you with up2date if you buy a subscription from them, but I
> > feel it should be possible to create a fully updated system
> > in some sort of systematic manner.  Has anyone come up with
> > one that works without a payment or subscription service?

> <advocacy flamebait>
> Yes, it's called apt.
> </flamebait>

On Red Hat (which was the system discussed), it's called up2date.

Christian

1. RPM Catch-22

It seems that many RPM files now use something called "Data type 9"
e.g.

Data type 9 not supported

Data type 9 not supported

RPM version 2.3.11

So how does one bootstrap to the new version of rpm if rpm itself, and
it's source, are stored in the new format?  I remember there is a tool
that allows one to convert rpm to tar.gz or cpio files, but does it
support Data type 9.

The funny thing is the incompatible file formats and forced upgrade
to the next version are the hallmark of our favorite commercial
software vendor.

A pointer to a tar'd version of a recent rpm or to the tool that
converts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-John

2. Can you run a windows application and linux at the same time?

3. rpm catch-22

4. SNMP apps for Linux?

5. CD Install Catch-22, Newbie depressed

6. Kconfig broken in 2.5.58?

7. RedHat Install Catch-22! Still no success :-{

8. HELP!!!! Harware Woes!!!!!

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. catch-22 file system

11. Bizarre Catch-22: Kadb & Kernel Modules

12. Catch-22 with fsck

13. RedHat catch-22