repost of problems encountered loading Caldera 2.2 with KDE onto NEC "Ready 220T" laptop

repost of problems encountered loading Caldera 2.2 with KDE onto NEC "Ready 220T" laptop

Post by Richard Bara » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 05:59:58

To all, thanks for politely informing me of my less-than-informative
original post.  I hope this one provides a little more information!  I
ultimately want to have one machine running, LinUX, one running OS/2, and
one running WindowsXP(just so I can have some programs that aren't supported
by the other two, like UC Berkeley's upcoming "BOINK" software for
scientific research).  Anyway, I've tried to answer some of your questions,
and would appreciate any feedback.

            I'm using a NEC "ready 220T" laptop, and have successfully
installed LinUX with KDE, which is what I'm using.

Quote:> What Linux distribution? There are hundreds.

            Caldera OpenLinUX 2.2 with KDE

Unfortunately, two things are not working.  First, the CD, which installed
the whole darned thing, is not responding to the little "cd" icon I created
on the KDE desktop...it's gotta be the command line.

Quote:> Did you actually create the icon, as opposed to copy it from a menu? What

is the icon supposed to do? What does "not responding" mean?

            Near the end of the install process, I was given the option of
"creating" useful icons for the KDE desktop.  One was for accessing CD, and
several were for links to LinUX-related websites.  I "created" the icons by
following the directions, which were simply to left-mouse click on the
desired icons.  When I click on the CD icon, first I get a grey "KFM" window
that says "Trying to open file/auto/cdrom, with an option to cancel.
Immediately thereafter I get a grey "KFM Error" window which says "Could not
read file:/auto/cdrom  File does not exist or access denied", with another
"cancel" option.  If I right click and choose "properties", I get

File name        CD-ROM.kdelnk
Full name        /root/desktop/CD-ROM.kdelnk

under "general"

kfmclient openURL file:/auto/cdrom/.

under "execute"

Second, although my PCMCIA network card was detected, and LinUX detected my
net settings(gateway address, etc), it's not talking to the network, and I
can't find anything within KDE that allows me to re-visit network settings.

Quote:> How about System Settings ... Network?

        I have no "settings" under "system" in the KDE pull-up menu.  I DO
have a "networks" setting under "Settings".  When I activate it, all I get
is "talk configuration"???  Under "Internet", I have "network utilities",
which allows me to look at "Ping", "Traceroute", "Host resolution",
"Finger", and "mtr".  If I select "COAS"(Caldera open administration
system), I have a "network" button with "TCP/IP", "Ethernet interfaces", and
"Mail transfer".  "TCP/IP" gives me "NIS" and "resolver" as options.  Under
"Ethernet interfaces", I get a window which shows "eth0" as my network
device, with an interface address of 192.168.1.2, which is what this
computer should be for my peer-to-peer network.  "default route" and "init
at boot time" are enabled, and "PNP configuration" is disabled.  Having
completely formatted my harddrive and then cold-loading Caldera 2.2, I feel
that the only way the computer could've come up with these(correct)
addresses was to have detected them during install...but it doesn't want to
let the computer be recognized now that I'm actually running the OS.
Quote:> Paul Lutus

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:31:13

>             Caldera OpenLinUX 2.2 with KDE

Doubtful if anybody can tell you anything about it. You'll have to tell
us.

Quote:> desired icons.  When I click on the CD icon, first I get a grey "KFM" window
> that says "Trying to open file/auto/cdrom, with an option to cancel.

Look at the icon properties and tell us what they say.

Quote:> Immediately thereafter I get a grey "KFM Error" window which says "Could not
> read file:/auto/cdrom  File does not exist or access denied", with another

Looks like caldera uses automount to access your cd. That should be
fine, so the natural question is "do you have a DATA cd in the drive"?
And what drive? What do the icon properties say, and are they correct?
If you are running automount, what do /etc/auto.* say, and are they
correct?

Quote:> File name        CD-ROM.kdelnk
> Full name        /root/desktop/CD-ROM.kdelnk

And what does it say inside that. And WHY ARE YOU RUNNING AS ROOT!
Don't!!!!!!!

Quote:> kfmclient openURL file:/auto/cdrom/.

So check and see if automount is running on /auto, or if they use some
othetr mechanism.

Quote:> Second, although my PCMCIA network card was detected, and LinUX detected my

It's up to you to do things like that.

Quote:> net settings(gateway address, etc), it's not talking to the network, and I

There's no way to "detect" such things. Do you mean you are running a
dhcp server and picking up data like that via dhcp?

Quote:> can't find anything within KDE that allows me to re-visit network settings.

What? Kde is not involved with network setting. Configure the pcmcia
utils the way you want. Edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts to suit.

Quote:>         I have no "settings" under "system" in the KDE pull-up menu.  I DO

Puhleeeese STOP USING A GUI. We can't help you if you do that. It's
meaningless. Like telling us what you are seeing through multicoloured
spectacles that only you have ever worn.

Just go investigate the mechanisms they are using, and go with them.

Is the new caldera based off debian? If you were to say so, we could
tell you which files to go and look at. But start with pcmcia.

Peter