aha 1510

Post by Jeremy Ka » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

help!
i thought id show a friend what a non_MS OS could be, but it turns out
i cant install.
i need a boot disk for slackware 3.1 that supports adaptec 1410A.
the closest i could find on the distro CD's was one for ada142x.
i tried that and the generic scsi, and neither worked.
its a cdr-510 NEC cd-rom.
i checked cdrom.com, but found nothing new. any help would be greatly
appreciated. im also looking for info on this adapter. im thinking
about getting a SCSI HD to run Linux off of, but i dont know if anything
can be booted off this.

aha 1510

Post by Hugh McCur » Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> help!
> i thought id show a friend what a non_MS OS could be, but it turns out
> i cant install.
> i need a boot disk for slackware 3.1 that supports adaptec 1410A.
> the closest i could find on the distro CD's was one for ada142x.
> i tried that and the generic scsi, and neither worked.
> its a cdr-510 NEC cd-rom.
> i checked cdrom.com, but found nothing new. any help would be greatly
> appreciated. im also looking for info on this adapter. im thinking
> about getting a SCSI HD to run Linux off of, but i dont know if anything
> can be booted off this.

1410 or 1510?  In any event, for a AHA1510 you need to pass an argument
to LILO such as

aha152x=0x340,11,7,1,0

The 340 is the address of the card and the 11 is the IRQ.  I don't remember
what the rest is, but I did find this is some Linux document (or I wouldn't
know about it).  If you are really stuck, I'll try to find out.

If you can't get this to work, you still have a couple of alternatives.

You can copy the Slackware directory structure (or the parts that you need)
to your hard disk (containing DOS).  Then you can install from the DOS
partition instead.

Or you could make a ton of floppy disks and install from them.

--
Hugh McCurdy