Booting Linux using NT Boot Manager

Post by Chris Sutcliff » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Anybody have any clue on how to get Linux to boot using NT Boot manager?  I
added the following line to boot.ini:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\="Linux"

My Linux is sitting on the third partition of my first hard drive, so I
assumes that this would work, instead, the NT Detect starts, and I get a
page fault.

I'm open to suggestions!

Thanx!

Chris

Booting Linux using NT Boot Manager

Post by Tom Pfeife » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Chris, see this mini-HOWTO which covers that exact subject.

http://www.caldera.com/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

Tom

>Anybody have any clue on how to get Linux to boot using NT Boot manager?  I
>added the following line to boot.ini:

>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\="Linux"

>My Linux is sitting on the third partition of my first hard drive, so I
>assumes that this would work, instead, the NT Detect starts, and I get a
>page fault.

>I'm open to suggestions!

>Thanx!

>Chris

Booting Linux using NT Boot Manager

Post by Osmo Vuor » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>My Linux is sitting on the third partition of my first hard drive, so I
>assumes that this would work, instead, the NT Detect starts, and I get a

Where is/will the lilo itself?

Osmo

Post by James M. Roger » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Anybody have any clue on how to get Linux to boot using NT Boot manager?  I
> added the following line to boot.ini:

> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\="Linux"

> My Linux is sitting on the third partition of my first hard drive, so I
> assumes that this would work, instead, the NT Detect starts, and I get a
> page fault.

> I'm open to suggestions!

> Thanx!

> Chris

  One of my friends has got it working, using these instructions:

http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

Booting Linux using NT Boot Manager

Post by Phil » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998 08:29:39 -0400, "Chris Sutcliffe"

>Anybody have any clue on how to get Linux to boot using NT Boot manager?  I
>added the following line to boot.ini:
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\="Linux"

You can try using BOOTPART, that is what I used on my system which
boots into Windows NT 4.0 WKS, Windows 95 & RedHat 5.1.

If you want the file just e-mail me.

There are a number of such softwares floating around on the Net.

1. setting up triple boot using bootpart and NT Boot manager

I am trying to triple boot my machine with Linux, Win95, and NT Server
4.0. I would like to use the NT boot manager to select the OS to boot.
I tried using Bootpart as suggested by some previous replies.

I downloaded and used bootpart to create a linux entry in the NT boot
manager, however when I select the linux option under the boot manager
during bootup a message appears saying the following:

"Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
<winnt rooot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

  Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? I installed the
LILO bootloader to the first sector of the boot partition. I can also
boot into Win95 and NT by selecting their entries under the NT Boot
manager.  Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks

        Derek

2. help with icmp translation

3. Booting from third drive using NT boot manager

4. NIS Database Make Problem - RH 6.1

5. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

6. Getch?

7. booting linux with NT boot manager

8. Q: Slackware 3.0 3Com PCI Networkcard and AUX mouse support

9. Q: Can the NT boot-manager be configured to boot Linux as well?

10. Booting Linux from NT Boot Manager?

11. How to boot Linux from NT Boot Manager?

12. boot linux from NT 4.0 boot manager

13. Booting Linux from the Windows NT 4.0 Boot Manager