Sound configuration with Redhat 5.2 and the 2.0.36 Kernel

Sound configuration with Redhat 5.2 and the 2.0.36 Kernel

Post by Bryan Christia » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
    I keep getting an error when attempting to use sndconfig to install one
of my two soundcards.  It says "error opening /dev/audio"  The card I am
trying to configure is an old Ensoniq Soundscape(not a VIVO90).  My other
soundcard is a generic PCI card based on Aureal's Vortex chipset(A3D).  If
it's not too much of a problem please E-mail responses to me as well as
posting them to the newsgroup.

Post by Paul Lemmen » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

 >    I keep getting an error when attempting to use sndconfig to install one
 >of my two soundcards.  It says "error opening /dev/audio"  The card I am
 >trying to configure is an old Ensoniq Soundscape(not a VIVO90).  My other
 >soundcard is a generic PCI card based on Aureal's Vortex chipset(A3D).  If
 >it's not too much of a problem please E-mail responses to me as well as
 >posting them to the newsgroup.
Same problem here. If it happens on exactly the same way, sndconfig
backups /etc/conf.modules to conf.modules.bak, then try's the settings and
freaks out. All things equal, you should find a temp-file of snd-config in
/tmp. Move this to /etc/conf.modules (which doesn't exist at that moment)
and reboot you'r box.

Mobile: 0650-244949    Read the Source     www.student.kun.nl/paul.lemmens

"That young girl is one of the least benightedly unintelligent organic
life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to
avoid meeting." (The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, Marvin the
Paranoid Android)

1. Setting up two ne2000 with Redhat 5.2 ( kernel 2.0.36-0.7)

I have a home Lan whose server is an older 486 / 100 and as a result I
have installed RH 5.2 on it; the newer machines used the 2.2 kernel (
Redhat 6.0 and Redhat 6.1) I have been having trouble installing a
second NE2000 to connect to a DSL line. This machine is an ISA bus
machine. In order to activate the cards, it uses an isapnp command. I
have tried the following:
Using lilo and the 'append ' command I have tried passing addresses and
IRQ's for both cards. This did not work. I have edited the
/etc/conf.modules with aliases for each of the cards, and their
associated addresses and irq's on the options line. This did not work
either. I have noticed that Redhat by default activates cards in the
rc.sysinit file which is prior to loading the modules. Perhaps I should
relocate the card initiation, but as yet I haven't.

I have noticed that when I have two cards in the machine, the inability
to properly load the second one, precludes eth0 from working. I have
currently removed the second card. If possible, could you also mail a

Alan Polinsky

2. Setting up Gauntlet Filtering..

3. adaptec 2940U and Redhat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36)

4. Multi-homed Netra

5. Problem with cxterm5.0.p3 on RedHat Linux 5.2, kernel 2.0.36

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. Setup Apache 1.3.3 with RedHat 5.2 [kernel 2.0.36]

8. User and passwd

9. Upgrading kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.12 in Redhat 5.2

10. XF86-3.3.3.1/RedHat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36) - X won't run

11. RH 5.2, 2.0.36 and Sound

12. Scsi Problem,,,,RedHat 5.2 ( 2.0.36 on i586)

13. rtlinux and RedHat 5.2 (2.0.36)