Newbie with Linux-setup questions

Post by wulf.. » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I'm considering to set up Linux on my pc and am looking for
replies on the following:

pc hardware:
P100/32mb,   2x 1gb SCSI 2940
Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM
Printer Epson LQ1050

OS/2 with bootmgr, harddisk partitioned in 6 parts.

1. can I install Linux next to OS/2? How?
2. does Linux support above hardware?
3. what is the best Internet software to use?
   -right now I am using OS/2 Bonuspack-
4. are all partities accessable?

Where can I find answers on above specific questions?
Is there a FAQ somewhere?
(I admit, for most of you these are newbie questions indeed)

rgds/Marcel Wulffraat

Post by thomas smit » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I'm considering to set up Linux on my pc and am looking for
> replies on the following:

> pc hardware:
> P100/32mb,   2x 1gb SCSI 2940

 ... anything SCSI is supported...
Quote:> Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM

 ...I hate Diamond, but it is support somewhat

Quote:> Printer Epson LQ1050

  a printer is a printer....
Quote:

> OS/2 with bootmgr, harddisk partitioned in 6 parts.

> 1. can I install Linux next to OS/2? How?

  free up space on your hd and partition it for Linux...then set up a boot scheme.
Quote:> 2. does Linux support above hardware?

  yes. You have good hardware for Linux, as a matter of fact. Nice and 'standard' :)
Quote:> 3. what is the best Internet software to use?
>    -right now I am using OS/2 Bonuspack-

  believe it or not, there's a Netscape available FREE for Linux at ftp.netscape.com

Quote:> 4. are all partities accessable?

  ?
> Where can I find answers on above specific questions?
> Is there a FAQ somewhere?
> (I admit, for most of you these are newbie questions indeed)

  You need a good book ( I reccommend 'Running Linux' by Welsh ( see
http://www.ora.com )
...a good distribution, I recommend RedHat 3.0.3 ( see http://www.redhat.com )
  and do some surfing... http://www.linux.org.

Good luck.
  Come back when you have problems, or when you master it, come back and give
advice. : )

-thomas-
--
"Daddy, why will this magnet pick up
that nail but won't pick up your Linux

http://www.prado.com/~trsmith

Post by Arcadio Alivio Since » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I'm considering to set up Linux on my pc and am looking for
: replies on the following:
: pc hardware:
: P100/32mb,   2x 1gb SCSI 2940
: Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM
: Printer Epson LQ1050

        Well, put it to you this way ... I got a 50Mhz i486DX/2 with 12MB
of RAM and 512k of video memory.  And I've been running Linux with X
Window without any  problems for a while now.  BUT ... if you wanna trade
your system for a system that Linux can work with for sure, I'd be happy
to offer you mine. :-)

        Or in other words ... YES.  Your setup is more than enough.
Linux and X Window should really fly on a system like that.

: OS/2 with bootmgr, harddisk partitioned in 6 parts.
: 1. can I install Linux next to OS/2? How?

        Yes.  Just be sure, when you install LILO (the LInux LOader ..
its a litle program that boots Linux off a hard disk and can also double
as Boot Manager type program), to NOT install it on the Master Boot
Record.  If you do, you'll over write Boot Manager.

: 3. what is the best Internet software to use?

        Linux distributions usually come with all the standard UNIX
networking tools (telnet, ftp, gopher, archie, etc.).  There's Netscape
for Linux if you wanna use Netscape.  Java is also available for Linux.
In fact, Linux is the first operating system to support Java binaries ...
i.e. it treats Java binaries just like any other Linux binary.  (note:
this feature is new to Linux kernel v.2.0.0 ...)

:    -right now I am using OS/2 Bonuspack-
: 4. are all partities accessable?

        >crickets chirping<

: Is there a FAQ somewhere?
: (I admit, for most of you these are newbie questions indeed)

        Yep.  Check a SUNsite mirror.  But your best bet is to obtain one
of the many Linux tomes that available now.  One that I can recommend is
called "Linux Unleashed".

Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Sophomore, Computer Science Major at the University of Maryland at College Park
Amateur competitive bodybuilder

"D.A.R.E. .... to keep cops off donuts."

1. Newbie running Win95 / Linux setup question..

I don't know if this would help or not seeing as I didn't get to read your
first post but when I installed Linux on my system I created a 2GB
partition for my Win95 setup, install System Commander.  Created a 1GB
partition for Linux and a 35MB for swap and then installed Linux.  The next
time I turned on my computer SC automatically detected Linux and added it
to my startup options.  Oh, by the way, I had to set Linux to boot from
it's primary partition and not the MBR.

                                        The Hatchet

2. Getting a userid on server side, generating a unique number, etc.

3. Newbie LAN Setup Question (Win2K, Win95, Linux)

4. Creating a POP3 mail server on AIX

5. Newbie running Win95 / Linux setup question..

6. AHA-1530P == AHA-1520??? Linux says NO

7. Linux newbie network setup questions

8. Sendmail to trigger fetchmail

9. linux newbie--newbie question follows

10. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

11. Newbie Red Hat setup question...

12. newbie/flamebait - multiboot & setup questions

13. newbie question: printer setup