please help, my OpenOffice's help (and many other things) doesn't work

please help, my OpenOffice's help (and many other things) doesn't work

Post by Hector » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:47:00

Hi all,

I just installed redhat 7.0 a couple days ago (this is my first time with
linux). I was able to get my X and internet working (I am posting now from
netscape 6), but I can not get OpenOffice to work.

I downloaded version 619 and the install ran fine, but when I try to use its
help, all I get is an empty help window. Nothing happens when I click on
"contents" or if I try to search for anything.

I tried to run the setup's "fix installation" or whatever it is called and
had no luck. The setup program now won't even let me uninstall openoffice. I
tells me I must quit openoffice first (even when I am not running anything
else).

There are also other things wrong with the install, like, for instance, the
spell checker does not work at all either.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Since I am so new to linux, please forgive the
stupidity of this question. Coming for Windows, I am used to programs
intalling themselves and creating shortcuts in the "start" menu. Is this not
the case with X applications? Neither netscape nor openoffice created any
shortcuts after installation. Its not a big deal, but it just seems like
something I though would be automatic.

Anyway, thank you for any help you can provide

1. PLEASE HELP ME, things aren't working??

I'm trying to make a set of boot floppies for AIX.  I'm using these
images:

http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena/astaff/project/bootkit/rsaix/old/

I have a RS/6000-37T computer that I can't get into because I don't
know the root password, thats why I need the boot floppies.

I formated my floppies to FAT file system and I'm using RAWWRITE.exe
to make my AIX boot floppies on a Windows NT machine since I don't
have access to an AIX command prompt.

When I go to use the floppies, the RS/6000 floppy lights up but then
goes on booting from the hard drives.

What am I doing wrong??  FAQ don't help me much when i can't get into
the OS.

Any way of telling what version of AIX I have with not being about to
get into the OS??  It boots with AIX in red, yellow and green with a
blue dimond behind it.

Help!
Ryan

2. Looking for network diagramming software...

3. BUG: 'tar +help' doesn't work with libc.so.4.4!!

4. modem thru modem to work?

5. Help: 'man' doesn't work

6. DOS emu

7. Issuing 'echo <ESC>[r' from .cshrc doesn't work, HELP

8. Fore ATM MCA200E card on AIX 4.2, LAN Em...

9. 'man' doesn't work, HELP!

10. 'man' doesn't work... help!

11. GCC Doesn't work for me HELP HELP HELP

12. news (innd) doesn't work with netscape / outlook but works with others

13. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work