Partitioning may have screwed up floppy disk writes

Partitioning may have screwed up floppy disk writes

Post by Jeff Mill » Fri, 24 Feb 1995 12:16:18

I have a problem that someone in this group may help with...

When I installed Linux, I partitioned my IDE C: and D: drives with FIPS.
Then I needed to increase partition sizes for Linux.  FIPS only splits
DOS partitions, FDISK for DOS requires a wipe and restore, I forget why I
believed that FDISK for Linux couldn't do what I needed. So I thought I
could use Norton Disk Editor to maybe do what FIPS does but manually.

Sure enough!  I could display the partition tables and with a little
figuring I managed to modify the boundaries without losing any DOS data
at the low end of the drive.  I used FIPS ability to test the integrity
of the boot record and partition table to verify everything worked.
During this I had to patch values in hex to change partition types from 6
for DOS to 82 and 83 for Linux's ext2 and swap partition types
because Norton doesn't understand partition types other than DOS. FIPS
also reported inconsistancy between the total number of sectors in the
boot file vs partition table which required me to patch the boot record
as well.

I have used this successfully for DOS and Linux for about a week but now
notice that I can't write to 3.5 in. floppy disk correctly.  Files
I've written recently read with "serious disk error" and DOS's SCANDISK
reports bad data. The same symptoms occur with two difference diskette
drives. I wonder if there is some other magic number in the boot record
or partition table that can cause this symptom?  If I have messed things
up, can I recover without a full backup and restore?

thanks in advance,

jeff

1. Q: How to mount an MSDOS partition so that ordinary users may write?

I'd like to know if it is possible to mount MSDOS partitions in such a
way that ordinary users can write to that disk. Right now only root
has write rights. A similar problem occurs with the NTFS (read only)
partitions: only root can read and I'd like ordinary users to be
allowed to read as well. Constructive suggestions would be greatly
appreciated...

Regards,
Borre

2. problem with ctype functions (isalnum() etc)

3. EXT3 - freeze ups during disk writes

4. 3com 509b networkproblem

5. FVWM GoodStuff buttons

6. DOS disk on extended partition screws Linux

7. secure PUT with Apache 1.2.5

8. How to write files to floppy disk in Solaris 7?

9. How to read/write/format MS-DOS floppy disks???

10. How do I mount read-write a UFS filesystem from a floppy disk?

11. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

12. How to read/write/format MS-DOS floppy disks???