Has anyone successfully made there own rescue rootdisk?

Has anyone successfully made there own rescue rootdisk?

Post by Steven J. Hil » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

After many attempts on my own and using Yard 1.11, I have had no
luck with accessing my rootdisk after booting my kernel. My rootdisk
contains a compressed filesystem with size 5120 kbytes. I keep getting
I/O errors. The only thing I can think of is that my floppy is a
post-1991 3-1/2 drive. Has anyone succesfully booted there own custom
made compressed filesystem and been able to mount partitions from the
harddisk? Please help. Thank you.

Steve

1. Anyone used RH 4.2 rescue disk successfully?

Hello, I would like to repair my root partition, which is not mounting,
and I am trying to use my Red Hat rescue disks (boot disk + supplemental
disk) that came with my official purchase. Red Hat support refuses to
help me since my one month of free support has expired

First, I can't find ef2sck. Has anyone else had this problem with RH 4.2
(I have noticed someone with Slackware 3.4 is having this problem too,
an epidemic!)?

second, the command mount does not work properly as the manual says:
I type:
$/usr/bin/mount -t ext2 -o ro /dev/hda2 /mnt

It complains :

The Red Hat manual claims the following for the rescue disk:
" The mount command does not require that the device node being mounted
already exist, and does not require the full name of the device. It
assumes ext2 filesystems unless told oterwise."

OK, so I type

$/usr/bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt
or
$/usr/bin/mount  -t ext2 hda2 /mnt
or several other variations of that

In all cases it tells me "invalid argument".

My /dev/hda2 file is my root partition, I can see it in my /dev
directory, but only if I type "$/usr/bin/mknod /dev/hda2 b 3 2"

I would appreciate hearing from people who have successfully used mount
and ef2sck with the rescue disk that came with Red Hat 4.2.

Best Regards,
Ramin Sina

 Institute   for   Physical   Science   and   Technology
 University of Maryland   College Park  Maryland   20742
 Voice (301) 405 4852                 Fax (301) 314 9363

2. about rpc shutdown windows xp

3. Anyone ever made their own device driver for Linux?

4. FS: DEC VT-320 Terminals

5. LinuxPPC CD won't boot on G4 PB. Help?

6. Having a problem with loading rootdisk with Slackware 3.3

7. PPPOE connection dies after a couple hours.

8. Own Kernel on Slackware rootdisk

9. Making a Bootable RootDisk ?

10. Making a bootdisk/rootdisk combo

11. Making bootable./rootdisk