RH5.2: Netscape 4.07 Error: Perhaps problem with Nameserver?

RH5.2: Netscape 4.07 Error: Perhaps problem with Nameserver?

Post by Bhola D » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Netscape Communicator that came with RH5.1 was working fine for internet browsing.  After upgrading to RH 5.2 (with upgrade Netscape Communicator 4.07) I can not browse internet any more.  I know that connection to ISP (MSN) via PPP is successful (from RH 5.1 experience).  Then, when I start Netscape I am getting the following error message (two dialogs):

Netscape: Error
    Warning: the following hosts are unknown:
        home.netscape.com
        home6.netscape.com
        internic.net
    This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.

    Perhaps there is a problem with your name server?
    If your site must use a non-root name server, you will
    need to set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to
    point at the appropriate name server.  It may (or
    may not) be necessary to set this variable, or the
    SOCKS host preference, to the IP address of the host
    in question rather than its name.
Netscape: Error <2>
    Netscape is unable to locate the server
    home.netscape.com
    The server does not have a DNS entry.

While upgrading I accepted the default suggested services.  What could go wrong?  I first erased new version of Netscape 4.07 and re-installed older version of Netscape that came with RH5.1.  Still, I got the same error message!  I don't have a computer network at home to have a name server;  my home computer only has a modem that I use to connect to internet.  The services I am running have (the same as I had in RH5.1 installation):
    kerneld, network, nfsfs, random, syslog, atd, crond, portmap, snmpd, pcmcia, inet, named, lpd, nfs, dhcpd, amd, keytable, sendmail, gpm, httpd, pnserver, postgresql, sound, smb, innd, rc.local, reboot, halt (activated under various runlevels.)
What's going wrong here?  Somebody with similar problem and what's the solution?  I have no experience with Nameserver or DNS.  But I can try!

--

Regards,

Bhola N. De

RH5.2: Netscape 4.07 Error: Perhaps problem with Nameserver?

Post by Fabian Won » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I had the same problem. Have you edited the file /etc/resolv.conf and
put in the following line(s).

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your ISP's IP number for the DNS namserver. If
your ISP has a secondary DNS server then add in yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Fabian Wong

Post by Robert M. Taylo » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>      Warning: the following hosts are unknown:

>           home.netscape.com
>           home6.netscape.com
>           internic.net

> Regards, Bhola N. De

Have you tried "ping". This tool will tell you if your packets are
getting sent anywhere.
Initiate the link to ISP then type:
ping <your ISP domainname here>
you should either get a count of tx/rx exchanges or a message similar to
netscape that says "domain not found".

Bob

--

        RedHat Linux 5.1 (Manhattan) on an i586

1. Netscape 4.07 Colormap Problem

I'm running Netscape Communicator 4.07 under RedHat Linux 5.2.
Everytime I start NS with the "netscape" command, I get errors about NS
not being able to allocate colormap entries for various colors.
Netscape and the web look like crap.  The only suggestions offered by
NS's knowledge base are:

1.  run "netscape -install"  This makes everything about Netscape look
pretty, but when NS windows are defocused, the color flashes are
annoying.

2.  run "netscape -ncols N"  where N is the maximum number of colors NS
should use.  This just doesn't seem to do anything.

3. Do something with an X resource setting having to do with
ImageColors.  I don't know what this thrid suggestion means (I'm a
newbie.)  X Resource settings?  Ha!  I'm lucky that I figured out how to
mount the CD-ROM drive to install Netscape in the first place...

I would appreciate any information that might help me make things look
pretty when I use Netscape.  :)

Donovan

2. SMB Passwords

3. problems with Linux + Java + Netscape 4.07

4. Needed: Olicom Token Ring Driver for Linux!

5. Netscape 4.07 helpers via sh problems

6. Controlling access for a Proxy Server

7. Increase/decrease fonts in Netscape 4.07

8. Restricting Services On A NIC Basis

9. Netscape Communicator 4.07

10. red hat 5.2 and netscape 4.07

11. RHL 5.1, Netscape 4.07 FTP Freeze

12. Netscape 4.07 on RHL 5.1?

13. Red Hat 5.2 & Netscape Communicator 4.07