Problem installing rh5.2 from hd...

Post by Brian Truit » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm running Win98 with fat 32 partitions and I downloaded a copy of
RedHat 5.2 and attempted to install it from the hard drive.  I have a
420Mb fat16 drive that I put the install files on. When I get to the
part of the install where you put in the path to find the install files,
I enter the correct path and it gives me an "error opening directory"
and then I have the opportunity to retry or go back.

I've read another posting on this problem where it suggests that I
rename the directories.  I tried this and got the same results.
I was also wondering what the prefered partition arrangement and boot
method is for a Win98/Linux dual boot.  I have access to Partition magic
and OS2 boot manager.  Currently I have 700 Mb free space for linux, a
1.8Gb fat32, 1.2 Gb fat 32, and a 420Mb fat16 partitions.  Where should
I put these assorted partitions in relation to each other?

Problem installing rh5.2 from hd...

Post by Maca » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Dear Brian,

You are not alone!! I have exactly the same problem.  I am running Win98 on
a 6Gb hard disk.  I copied RedHat 5.2 into C:\RedHat and repartioned my disk
using Partition Magic, leaving about 700Mb free.  i.e 5.3 Gb FAT32
partition, a 64Mb swap partition and the rest was Linux native.  I
successfully installed the system BUT I didn't create enough swap space for
the programs I want to use. So I decided to repartition the FAT32 down to 5
Gb and leave the rest free and make sure that I had at least 120Mb for swap.
My FAT32 is in 8K clusters.

I set everything on DiskDruid as I wanted it and when it came to installing
.... I could not find the directory that contains RedHat/Base and
RedHat/RPMS. I tried moving the files on C:\ and changing the directory name
but no luck either.

Not much use to you I know, but let's hope someone can help us. Its
especially frustrating as I successfully installed previously and I can't
really see what I have done differently.

Maca.

> I'm running Win98 with fat 32 partitions and I downloaded a copy of
> RedHat 5.2 and attempted to install it from the hard drive.  I have a
> 420Mb fat16 drive that I put the install files on. When I get to the
> part of the install where you put in the path to find the install files,
> I enter the correct path and it gives me an "error opening directory"
> and then I have the opportunity to retry or go back.

> I've read another posting on this problem where it suggests that I
> rename the directories.  I tried this and got the same results.
> I was also wondering what the prefered partition arrangement and boot
> method is for a Win98/Linux dual boot.  I have access to Partition magic
> and OS2 boot manager.  Currently I have 700 Mb free space for linux, a
> 1.8Gb fat32, 1.2 Gb fat 32, and a 420Mb fat16 partitions.  Where should
> I put these assorted partitions in relation to each other?

Problem installing rh5.2 from hd...

Post by jdn » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

The only solution I could come up with was to create a separate Linux
partition, copy the RedHat directory over to there, and then install from HD
from there.

It would appear that the install process simply cannot find the proper
directories when they are located on a FAT drive.

I could start a rant here about how I'm beginning to like RedHat less and
less (even with a clean install of 5.2, I had a number of serious problems;
the latest is that I cannot consistently copy files from a FAT partition to
my RedHat partition.  For instance, when attempting to copy the WordPerfect8
for Linux file over, it took a 26 MB file and 'copied' about 25 K, and
that's it; so I have to boot into NT and use Linux Explorer to copy it over
to the Linux partition), but I won't for now.

Hmm, maybe it isn't Microsoft after all.  A company gets 'backing' from
Intel and things go kerflooey.

jdn
...never had these problems with 5.1.

>Dear Brian,

>You are not alone!! I have exactly the same problem.  I am running Win98 on
>a 6Gb hard disk.  I copied RedHat 5.2 into C:\RedHat and repartioned my
disk
>using Partition Magic, leaving about 700Mb free.  i.e 5.3 Gb FAT32
>partition, a 64Mb swap partition and the rest was Linux native.  I
>successfully installed the system BUT I didn't create enough swap space for
>the programs I want to use. So I decided to repartition the FAT32 down to 5
>Gb and leave the rest free and make sure that I had at least 120Mb for
swap.
>My FAT32 is in 8K clusters.

>I set everything on DiskDruid as I wanted it and when it came to installing
>.... I could not find the directory that contains RedHat/Base and
>RedHat/RPMS. I tried moving the files on C:\ and changing the directory
name
>but no luck either.

>Not much use to you I know, but let's hope someone can help us. Its
>especially frustrating as I successfully installed previously and I can't
>really see what I have done differently.

>Maca.

>> I'm running Win98 with fat 32 partitions and I downloaded a copy of
>> RedHat 5.2 and attempted to install it from the hard drive.  I have a
>> 420Mb fat16 drive that I put the install files on. When I get to the
>> part of the install where you put in the path to find the install files,
>> I enter the correct path and it gives me an "error opening directory"
>> and then I have the opportunity to retry or go back.

>> I've read another posting on this problem where it suggests that I
>> rename the directories.  I tried this and got the same results.
>> I was also wondering what the prefered partition arrangement and boot
>> method is for a Win98/Linux dual boot.  I have access to Partition magic
>> and OS2 boot manager.  Currently I have 700 Mb free space for linux, a
>> 1.8Gb fat32, 1.2 Gb fat 32, and a 420Mb fat16 partitions.  Where should
>> I put these assorted partitions in relation to each other?

Problem installing rh5.2 from hd...

Post by Tan Nguye » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've never seen exactly this problem so hope you don't mind if I misfire. I just

thought one might consider using fdisk instead of DiskDruid. You may want to
try mount -t vfat /dev/hd? /mnt for a test and then ls /mnt to see if your files
are
copied there. Also check dmesg|less or dmesg|more and look at the disk geometry
(at the lines /dev/hd?); I did have a problem some time ago with the geometry
detected by Linux not matching that in Windows - if that's the case you may have

to pass the geometry used in Dos/Windows as parameters to Linux at the boot:
prompt.

I used to use Slakware and fdisk; to me it seems that Linux partitions
(swap or native) don't mind being primary or extended/logical at all if you boot

from a diskette (no Lilo). Having all Linux partitions close to each other makes

sense. I don't notice any performance degradation running native Linux
in logical partitions.

> Dear Brian,

> You are not alone!! I have exactly the same problem.  I am running Win98 on
> a 6Gb hard disk.  I copied RedHat 5.2 into C:\RedHat and repartioned my disk
> using Partition Magic, leaving about 700Mb free.  i.e 5.3 Gb FAT32
> partition, a 64Mb swap partition and the rest was Linux native.  I
> successfully installed the system BUT I didn't create enough swap space for
> the programs I want to use. So I decided to repartition the FAT32 down to 5
> Gb and leave the rest free and make sure that I had at least 120Mb for swap.
> My FAT32 is in 8K clusters.

> I set everything on DiskDruid as I wanted it and when it came to installing
> .... I could not find the directory that contains RedHat/Base and
> RedHat/RPMS. I tried moving the files on C:\ and changing the directory name
> but no luck either.

> Not much use to you I know, but let's hope someone can help us. Its
> especially frustrating as I successfully installed previously and I can't
> really see what I have done differently.

> Maca.

> > I'm running Win98 with fat 32 partitions and I downloaded a copy of
> > RedHat 5.2 and attempted to install it from the hard drive.  I have a
> > 420Mb fat16 drive that I put the install files on. When I get to the
> > part of the install where you put in the path to find the install files,
> > I enter the correct path and it gives me an "error opening directory"
> > and then I have the opportunity to retry or go back.

> > I've read another posting on this problem where it suggests that I
> > rename the directories.  I tried this and got the same results.
> > I was also wondering what the prefered partition arrangement and boot
> > method is for a Win98/Linux dual boot.  I have access to Partition magic
> > and OS2 boot manager.  Currently I have 700 Mb free space for linux, a
> > 1.8Gb fat32, 1.2 Gb fat 32, and a 420Mb fat16 partitions.  Where should
> > I put these assorted partitions in relation to each other?

1. RH5 install on 6.4GB HD fails!

Hi!

I'd sure like some help with this. Just got a WD36400 + WD31600 on my secondary IDE channel.
Want to use the Master drive (WD36400) as a whole linux partition for RH5 ftp install. Everything
works
nice, format and swap setup and badblock checks, mounting. When I try to (and the install progg)
write
on the partition it just screams of errors. Wrong number of inodes and such. I've ready so many
manuals
FAQ's etc. so my eyes bleed!
What is going on?
Please, I'm getting desperate!!!

The new master drive partitions and formats well with FAT32. File creation is successful, BIOS auto
detects
nicely and all. Is there some strange size limit I can't find?

/Nicklas Norling

2. Installing X server

3. Installing RH5 on SCSI HD with AHA2920a card

4. mail deleting or saving

5. RH5.2 HD Install Failure

6. best linux software for palm?

7. (Newbie)LILO, HD Setup, and RH5 Install

8. IHHD Help

9. RH5.1 install pb : scsi hd parity error

10. RH5.2 HD install blues..!

11. newbie can't install rh5, HD failure

12. HD not supported in RH5.1 setup -> cannot install

13. ANSWER Re: Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD