Having problems with NEC Versa 4050H laptop install (removable CD-ROM)

Having problems with NEC Versa 4050H laptop install (removable CD-ROM)

Post by <dnorto.. » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to install RedHat 5.2 on a NEC Versa 4050H laptop.  It is not
working.  When I try to boot LILO, I get a lot of 7's and 0's on the screen.
One of my main concerns is that the laptop has a removeable
floppy and CD-ROM drive.  When the CD-Rom is installed, it acts as the
master IDE and the harddrive acts as the slave.  Otherwise, the harddrive
acts as the master drive.  One more thing - if I do a custom installation
and set the mount points for the disk partitions, and then go to disk
druid again after the installation, the mount points have been erased.
What does this mean?  Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel

1. Anyone installed 7.1 on NEC Versa 4050H laptop?

I got a spare drive for my old NEC Versa 4050H laptop, so I thought I'd try
an install Mandrake 7.1.

I'm having trouble with the graphics card and monitor selection. When I do
get something to work, I only get about 3/4 of the screen visible at 800x600
(256 colors). It should be able to do ths easily. If anyone's got this to
work, can they tell me what X-server settings they used.

Also, I have a Xircom PCMCIA ethernet card. Can anyone tell me what network
driver to choose. I've tried a dozen or so fromthe long list but they all
fail.

Be Well and Happy Always

Chris

2. Disk clone - almost

3. NEC Versa 4050H vertical black band problem on right side of display

4. Mounting problem

5. linux on NEC Versa 4050H (?)

6. __asm__

7. X server for CT65545 chip on NEC Versa 4050H

8. Trouble with INN...

9. NEC CDR-260 CD-ROM (Gateway IDE CD-ROM)

10. NEC SCSI adaptor problem to see NEC CD-ROM

11. Linux on NEC Versa 2630 CD Laptop

12. CD Rom drivers for NEC Versa P/75?

13. Problem installing LINUX with NEC CDR-511 CD-ROM