Dual Boot Windows 2000 - BestLinux 2000

Post by Rya » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:55:41

I have read many messages in this newsgroup about setting up a dual
boot between these 2 OS's however none of them have solved my problem.

My setup is as follows:

2 seperate HD's - First HD - Primary master - had Windows Adv. Server
2000 installed

Second HD - Primary Slave - Is where I installed BestLinux.  When
prompted where I wanted to write the MBR for LILO I chose hda - or the
drive with Windows installed.  This locked me out of my Windows 2000
OS entirely.  I then went into Linux and edited lilo.conf by
adding/editing:

    boot=/dev/hda - I changed this to boot=/dev/hdb

Then I added:
    other=/dev/hda
    label=windows

This still didn't bring windows as a boot option for me.  I added in
delay=20 and every other variation I found in these newsgroups to no
avail.  Finally I did a fdisk /mbr to get back to my windows install.
Then I reinstalled BestLinux this time putting the MBR on devb.  This
of course now locked me out of my Linux OS.  So my question is, how in
the hell do I get these two OS's to dual boot other than buying a boot
manager?  It can't be that hard.

Dual Boot Windows 2000 - BestLinux 2000

Post by jinp » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 04:00:09

Write lilo to hda will hang windows, that happened to me too. you should
write it to hdb if that is where you install the linux. follow the
instruction below:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

it works for me on both NT 4 and Windows 2000, but I have linux on the
same hard disk as windows.

> I have read many messages in this newsgroup about setting up a dual
> boot between these 2 OS's however none of them have solved my problem.

> My setup is as follows:

> 2 seperate HD's - First HD - Primary master - had Windows Adv. Server
> 2000 installed

> Second HD - Primary Slave - Is where I installed BestLinux.  When
> prompted where I wanted to write the MBR for LILO I chose hda - or the
> drive with Windows installed.  This locked me out of my Windows 2000
> OS entirely.  I then went into Linux and edited lilo.conf by
> adding/editing:

>     boot=/dev/hda - I changed this to boot=/dev/hdb

> Then I added:
>     other=/dev/hda
>     label=windows

> This still didn't bring windows as a boot option for me.  I added in
> delay=20 and every other variation I found in these newsgroups to no
> avail.  Finally I did a fdisk /mbr to get back to my windows install.
> Then I reinstalled BestLinux this time putting the MBR on devb.  This
> of course now locked me out of my Linux OS.  So my question is, how in
> the hell do I get these two OS's to dual boot other than buying a boot
> manager?  It can't be that hard.

Dual Boot Windows 2000 - BestLinux 2000

Post by mvr » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:48:34

Wow, again you need www.xosl.org.
It's free.
And open source
and the best boot manager on the planet,
bye

Quote:> I have read many messages in this newsgroup about setting up a dual
> boot between these 2 OS's however none of them have solved my problem.

> My setup is as follows:

> 2 seperate HD's - First HD - Primary master - had Windows Adv. Server
> 2000 installed

> Second HD - Primary Slave - Is where I installed BestLinux.  When
> prompted where I wanted to write the MBR for LILO I chose hda - or the
> drive with Windows installed.  This locked me out of my Windows 2000
> OS entirely.  I then went into Linux and edited lilo.conf by
> adding/editing:

>     boot=/dev/hda - I changed this to boot=/dev/hdb

> Then I added:
>     other=/dev/hda
>     label=windows

> This still didn't bring windows as a boot option for me.  I added in
> delay=20 and every other variation I found in these newsgroups to no
> avail.  Finally I did a fdisk /mbr to get back to my windows install.
> Then I reinstalled BestLinux this time putting the MBR on devb.  This
> of course now locked me out of my Linux OS.  So my question is, how in
> the hell do I get these two OS's to dual boot other than buying a boot
> manager?  It can't be that hard.

Dual Boot Windows 2000 - BestLinux 2000

Post by Thomas Papendiec » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:17:12

Ryan schrieb:

Quote:> [...]
>  I then went into Linux and edited lilo.conf by
> adding/editing:

>     boot=/dev/hda - I changed this to boot=/dev/hdb

> Then I added:
>     other=/dev/hda
>     label=windows

> This still didn't bring windows as a boot option for me.

Did you run the "lilo" command after the change?

Quote:> [...] It can't be that hard.

No I found it beeing easy as long as you follow instructions... :o)

--

MfG
Thomas Papendieck

eMail is as private as a post card - Please encrypt your answer!
PGP key available at: pgp.ai.mit.edu - port: 11371
ID: 0x273C213E
finger print: 4CB3 2D02 802A 3DA6 0499  0768 4CB1 D301 273C 213E