DVD and AVI Player

Post by dhigh.. » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:39:02

I have down loaded and tried olge and xine to play DVDs and found that
neither work on my RedHat 9 installation. I tried several different DVDs
and received varying diagnostic messages. Only one even attempted to
play.

Is there anything that works reliably to play DVDs and the down loaded
AVI files?

--

Regards,

David Highley                 Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc.       FAX: (253) 838-8509

Federal Way, WA 98023-7732      WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com

DVD and AVI Player

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:27:09

> I have down loaded and tried olge and xine to play DVDs and found that
> neither work on my RedHat 9 installation. I tried several different DVDs
> and received varying diagnostic messages. Only one even attempted to
> play.
> Is there anything that works reliably to play DVDs and the down loaded
> AVI files?

ogle, xine, mplayer, aviplayer, etc.

Peter

DVD and AVI Player

Post by kegwashe » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:44:12

>>I have down loaded and tried olge and xine to play DVDs and found that
>>neither work on my RedHat 9 installation. I tried several different DVDs
>>and received varying diagnostic messages. Only one even attempted to
>>play.

>>Is there anything that works reliably to play DVDs and the down loaded
>>AVI files?

> ogle, xine, mplayer, aviplayer, etc.

> Peter

Could you specify the error message?  I had to do a bit of tweaking to
get my dvd's and AVI's to work.

DVD and AVI Player

Post by dhigh.. » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 00:39:19

>>>I have down loaded and tried olge and xine to play DVDs and found that
>>>neither work on my RedHat 9 installation. I tried several different DVDs
>>>and received varying diagnostic messages. Only one even attempted to
>>>play.

>>>Is there anything that works reliably to play DVDs and the down loaded
>>>AVI files?

>> ogle, xine, mplayer, aviplayer, etc.

>> Peter
> Could you specify the error message?  I had to do a bit of tweaking to
> get my dvd's and AVI's to work.

I'm wondering if I will need to down load the source and rebuild because
of the threading changes in RedHat 9. None of the pre built stuff I have
tried works.

--

Post by Lenard Charter » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 07:03:44

> I'm wondering if I will need to down load the source and rebuild because
> of the threading changes in RedHat 9. None of the pre built stuff I have
> tried works.

Look here; http://shrike.freshrpms.net/

These RPMS work just fine.

DVD and AVI Player

Post by dhigh.. » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:42:59

>> I'm wondering if I will need to down load the source and rebuild because
>> of the threading changes in RedHat 9. None of the pre built stuff I have
>> tried works.
> Look here; http://shrike.freshrpms.net/

Great link, everything worked for one evening. Then I did the patch
updates to RedHat 9; kernel, gnome, and others. That broke the xine user
interface on my desktop system. Gxine never seems to break, but I like
the looks of the xine interface better. Then the sound quit working on
my Sony laptop. Dam this stuff is unstable!

Quote:> These RPMS work just fine.

--

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:52:49

>>Look here; http://shrike.freshrpms.net/

> Great link, everything worked for one evening. Then I did the patch
> updates to RedHat 9; kernel, gnome, and others. That broke the xine user
> interface on my desktop system. Gxine never seems to break, but I like
> the looks of the xine interface better. Then the sound quit working on
> my Sony laptop. Dam this stuff is unstable!

>>These RPMS work just fine.

The reason they don't is called "regression testing". It's running the
new versions of things against your known environments, in this case
probably against the various laptops, and making sure that things
continue to work as expected in all configurations. It's also why you
don't necessarily want the latest/greatest releases of things unless you
specifically need them or want to develop with them.

RedHat has been pretty good about actually testing their software
packages before upgrading them, (leaving aside the "egcs" compiler
insanity they did for a while).