Compile/Rebuild Question

Post by Matt N » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:27:43

Hi,
This is kind of a dumb question since it doesn't seem to be bothering
anyone else, but I was wondering if there was a list of packages needed
to compile or rebuild RPMs. I installed gcc and some libraries and other
stuff, but I get an error when I try to either compile or rebuild source.

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler
        (gcc -O2 -m486 -fno-strength-reduce ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot
        create executables.

BTW I'm running Red Hat 6.1.

Compile/Rebuild Question

Post by Dave Barnet » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:52:06

Matt:

Coupla things:
1.  Is c++/g++ installed?  Type "c++ --version".
2.  If so, you can override the C++ variable, either by modifying the
makefile, or by setting "C++" in your environment to "c++" or "g++".

HTH.

Dave

--
Dave Barnett    System Software Engineer        x1434
"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky, and I

Compile/Rebuild Question

Post by Matt N » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:24:41

Hi,

Thanks. Stupid me, I had installed gcc only instead of egcs/egcs-c++.
Umm, the error message I get is a little different

+ make
Makefile:32: no file name for `include'
make: *** No rule to make target `quadra', needed by `all'.  Stop.

Since it's a SRPM, I was assuming that everything was already packaged?
Am I missing something?

> Matt:

> Coupla things:
> 1.  Is c++/g++ installed?  Type "c++ --version".
> 2.  If so, you can override the C++ variable, either by modifying the
> makefile, or by setting "C++" in your environment to "c++" or "g++".

> HTH.

> Dave

1. Kernel Compiling and Rebuilding Question?

My question is:  I seem to have no problem configuring kernel 2.4.5 and
doing the rebuild, except for probably the most important issues.  I can do
the configuring using xconfig, and then the make dep, and make bzImage
options. I am copying the bzImage to my /boot and renaming it,  and adding
the new name option to my Grub menu.lst.  I am doing this to keep the
current kernel 2.4.3 file from messing up and allowing me to still boot to
2.4.3 with no problems.

My problems arise upon reboot, I can boot the new kernel from the GRUB menu
with no problem, except the two main errors I get are "vfat not
mountable/supported by kernel: and it want load my "usb options", or I get
"too many dev's mounted on supermount".  Also, one I can't figure out how to
get it to boot to X.  All I can seem to get it to boot to is a command
prompt, and when I do "startx, or startkde, etc" I get cannot set display.

I know or at least I thought I selected the correct options in the make
xconfig for File Systems, and when reading the Kernel Howto, it says to add
the new boot image to you lilo.conf file, but LILO will not boot correctly
on my machine for some reason, only GRUB works so this is why I added it to
the GRUB file.

I know I still need to make modules, and make modules_install, I have also
done that upon reboot whether from within the 2.4.3 graphical boot into the
system and then going to /usr/src and renaming my present linux folder link
to linux2.4.3 and then linking to my linux 2.4.5 folder and linking it as
linux and then make and install the modules from there and then reverse the
process back to 2.4.3 to still have a bootable 2.4.3 and when I want to try
to boot to the 2.4.5 kernel I just relink the 2.4.5 folder to the linux link
or doing the commands from the command line after booting into kernel 2.4.5.

No matter what I do, I keep getting the vfat error whether it be from the
2.4.5 kernel or from trying to compile and rebuild the 2.4.3 to get it to
work with my USB DSL Modem, even if I make do a make mrproper to try and
reset everything and start over, I still get the same errors, and I cannot
find a reference to how to get new kernel to boot to graphical X. I know
that the configuration is in the inittab file for 3 to 5, but it is
presently set to 5, but  upon boot to new kernel it goes to 3.

I know this sounds confusing but if anyone can help me I sure would
appreciate it and I will provide or info if needed.  All in all, all I am
trying to do is get either kernel 2.4.3 to configure and build for my USB
DSL Modem, or get kernel 2.4.5 to configure/build and boot to X without the
errors I am getting.

Please post and reply.

Harry T.
Picayune MS

2. latest pgcc in rpm format for libc5

3. rebuilt FreeBSD => rebuild all ports + reload all packages?

4. Linux IP Masquerade

5. Rebuild A1000 LUN + Rebuild a datadg

6. ELF distributions

7. Does FreeBSD kernel P-III re-compile also rebuild c-compiler

8. boot problem

9. LinuxPPC 4.1 rebuilding kernel and other src questions

10. Backup and Rebuild Question

11. Newbie kernel rebuild question - where are the "custom" images going?

12. linux 1.2 rebuild question: where/what is genksyms?

13. kernel rebuild question