Possible to do this?

Possible to do this?

Post by Chris Yue » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00



My relatives give me a ancient 386 machine, with a very low-end
configuration(mono-display, 2M ram, >100M HDD, sure no CD-ROM:P). I just
have a weired idea in my mind: is it possible to install and run linux
on it? As it doesn't have a CD-Rom, nor I don't have any network cards,
what I can do at most is make a direct cable connection, so is it
possible to install Linux like that? If so, what HOWTOs should I refer
to?
        Though it might not have much use to run Linux on that machine, I wanna
to give it a try, it's much more better than dumping it in the garage.:)

Chris

 
 
 

Possible to do this?

Post by Martin Schul » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00



> My relatives give me a ancient 386 machine, with a very low-end
> configuration(mono-display, 2M ram, >100M HDD, sure no CD-ROM:P). I just
> have a weired idea in my mind: is it possible to install and run linux
> on it?

Should be. No personal experience with such a machine though. Maybe
you need a little bit more RAM (4 or 8MB would be fine, I think).
Forget about X.

Quote:> As it doesn't have a CD-Rom, nor I don't have any network cards,
> what I can do at most is make a direct cable connection, so is it
> possible to install Linux like that? If so, what HOWTOs should I refer
> to?

I think slackware uses floppy based installs. You would need the CDrom
once for the install. So it would suffice to borrow you one..

Quote:>    Though it might not have much use to run Linux on that
> machine, I wanna to give it a try, it's much more better than
> dumping it in the garage.:)

Should be cool&fun.

Quote:

> Chris

Have fun,
        Martin Schulz

 
 
 

Possible to do this?

Post by Greg Bak » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00


: My relatives give me a ancient 386 machine, with a very low-end
: configuration(mono-display, 2M ram, >100M HDD, sure no CD-ROM:P). I just
: have a weired idea in my mind: is it possible to install and run linux
: on it? As it doesn't have a CD-Rom, nor I don't have any network cards,
: what I can do at most is make a direct cable connection, so is it
: possible to install Linux like that? If so, what HOWTOs should I refer
: to?

I have just done that very thing.  I had 4 meg of RAM to play with,
though--2 might be tight.  I installed Debian from disks, and it's working
fine.
  I found the Linux Doc Project's Installation Guide helpful.

:       Though it might not have much use to run Linux on that machine, I wanna
: to give it a try, it's much more better than dumping it in the garage.:)

Darn right.  More fun too.

Greg

 
 
 

1. Is word completion possible in DOS?

I am resonably new to UNIX, and I was wondering if there was any way to
replicate the word completion function of UNIX, in DOS?
Are there any programs that do this already?
I was also interested to know what portions of code in BASH enable this!
I've had a look at some of the Linux source code on my system, but I'm
not sure exactly where to look, or what to look for.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I'm fairly new to computing in
general, but trying to catch up fast.

BTW, it didn't take me long to wake up to microsofts limitations.

xbat.

2. Why SFWgmake coudn't install ??!!!!!!!!! :-( under SOLARIS 9

3. Unix and DOS on the same PC - possible ?

4. A LAN question

5. Is It Possible to Mount a DOS Partition?

6. Why is gs output so ugly ?

7. newbie - linux w/dos and 95 possible? recommendations?

8. Microsoft (devel)

9. GZIP in DOS: Is it possible?

10. Possible DOS attack on Debian system

11. Is it possible to access a DOS compressed part?

12. HELP: Connectivity between DOS/DOS and DOS/Linux

13. Possible to derive Linux drivers from DOS drivers?