CD Writer SCSI emulation and mounting

Post by Ian Camero » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings.  I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a baffling problem I'm
having with a Philips CDRW 400 (new) and an LG CD (normal CD).  The system
is running Redhat 6.0 with a 2.2.10 kernel with SCSI emulation enabled.
Everything seems ok until you put a blank CD or music CD in either of the
drives.  When you come to mount it can't recognise the media and refuses to
mount.  Difficult to burn a disk when it won't accept it.  I've been trying
to use XCDROAST which promptly 'falls over' as soon as I try to access
either drive (unmounted), although it does recognise both drives.  The
writer is setup as rw,users,noauto 0 0 in the fstab file.  Any help at all
would be appreciated.  Incidentally both drives work under Windoze so I'm
pretty sure it's not hardware.

CD Writer SCSI emulation and mounting

Post by Greg Leblan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Greetings.  I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a baffling
problem I'm
> having with a Philips CDRW 400 (new) and an LG CD (normal CD).  The
system
> is running Redhat 6.0 with a 2.2.10 kernel with SCSI emulation
enabled.
> Everything seems ok until you put a blank CD or music CD in either of
the
> drives.  When you come to mount it can't recognise the media and
refuses to
> mount.  Difficult to burn a disk when it won't accept it.  I've been
trying
> to use XCDROAST which promptly 'falls over' as soon as I try to access
> either drive (unmounted), although it does recognise both drives.  The
> writer is setup as rw,users,noauto 0 0 in the fstab file.  Any help at
all
> would be appreciated.  Incidentally both drives work under Windoze so
I'm
> pretty sure it's not hardware.

First, you might want to read the CD-Writing HOWTO.  You can find it at
http://www.veryComputer.com/;Now, let's see what I can do.  Running as
root, what output does 'cdrecord -scanbus' give?  Are 1 or both drives
there?  If you do a 'cat /proc/modules' or an 'lsmod' what modules are
listed as loaded?  Is ide-scsi listed?  ide-scsi MUST be loaded for
writing of CDs to work.  Reply here with answer to these, and we'll see
if we can get you up and burning.  :)
        Greg
--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Before you buy.

CD Writer SCSI emulation and mounting

Post by Luc Tangua » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi.

I've setup my CD-R/W as described in the CD-Writitng HOWTO but I still have to
manually load the ide-scsi module before using my CD player.  What I would like
is to load the module automatically the first time a CD is put in the tray
(audio or data CD).  How do I do this ?

--
Luc Tanguay, ing./p. eng.
BELL CANADA

Post by j.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi.

>I've setup my CD-R/W as described in the CD-Writitng HOWTO but I still have to
>manually load the ide-scsi module before using my CD player.  What I would like
>is to load the module automatically the first time a CD is put in the tray
>(audio or data CD).  How do I do this ?

        Whynot just add "modprobe ide-scsi" to one of the relevant
        script files in /etc/rc.d?

>> > Greetings.  I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a baffling
>> problem I'm
>> > having with a Philips CDRW 400 (new) and an LG CD (normal CD).  The
>> system
>> > is running Redhat 6.0 with a 2.2.10 kernel with SCSI emulation
>> enabled.
>> > Everything seems ok until you put a blank CD or music CD in either of
>> the
>> > drives.  When you come to mount it can't recognise the media and
>> refuses to
>> > mount.  Difficult to burn a disk when it won't accept it.  I've been
>> trying
>> > to use XCDROAST which promptly 'falls over' as soon as I try to access
>> > either drive (unmounted), although it does recognise both drives.  The
>> > writer is setup as rw,users,noauto 0 0 in the fstab file.  Any help at
>> all
>> > would be appreciated.  Incidentally both drives work under Windoze so
>> I'm
>> > pretty sure it's not hardware.

>> First, you might want to read the CD-Writing HOWTO.  You can find it at
>> http://www.veryComputer.com/;Now, let's see what I can do.  Running as
>> root, what output does 'cdrecord -scanbus' give?  Are 1 or both drives
>> there?  If you do a 'cat /proc/modules' or an 'lsmod' what modules are
>> listed as loaded?  Is ide-scsi listed?  ide-scsi MUST be loaded for
>> writing of CDs to work.  Reply here with answer to these, and we'll see
>> if we can get you up and burning.  :)
>>         Greg
>> --
>> It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
>> Before you buy.

>--
>Luc Tanguay, ing./p. eng.
>BELL CANADA
>RECHERCHE ET GENIE LOGICIEL/SOFTWARE ENGINEERING & RESEARCH
>1050 BEAVER HALL, 2e ETAGE/2nd FLOOR
>MONTREAL (QUEBEC) H2Z 1S4, CANADA
>TEL: (514) 786-6440 FAX: (514) 870-2431

--

   The best OS in the world is ultimately useless         |||
   if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates.      / | \

                Searching for sane PPP docs? Try http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. scsi emulation and cd writer using dma

i am running mandrake 8.1 via chipset mb and a duron 850 chip.. my ide
cdwriter is found under linux and using scsi emulation driver using
/dev/scd0. when i write a cd under either fireburner or cdrdao using
burnproof my system just bogs down, mouse jumpy, burner light comes on and
off, on and off all the way thru the burn . burn completes succesfully
thou...  if i go and write a data cd in say another program that does not
use burnproof burner works flawlessly no system slow downs or anything..
now i expierienced this same issue in windows when i did not have dma
enabled on the ide cdrom writer.. well i can not seem to get dma enabled on
the ide writer because hdparm does not like the scsi emulation... my writer
is on hdc but there is no device named hdc just scd0 so i make the link from
scd0 to hdc and hdparm still does not like the  scsi deal.. i know i should
be able to get dma on the writer because it is still ide regardless of the
scsi emulation hope someone can help me on this thanks scott

2. Who's fault is it? : Afterstep, KDE, or Netscape

3. Does the HP7200i ATAPI CD Writer need SCSI emulation

4. RH 5 adduser

5. Mounting SCSI cd-writer

6. For trade/sale : RS6000, 7021 type, 320H Powerserver 80M Ram, SCSI, Token Ring

7. CD-Writer CD-Writer

8. Good Linux Books - Cheap (was - I need Linux for Morons

9. Problem with SCSI-Emulation for DVD Writer

10. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

11. CD-R/CD-RW (HP CD-Writer+ 7570i)

12. ide-scsi emulation and cdrom mount

13. mounting Iomega Zip100 under scsi emulation?