Quantum Ontrack Driver and LILO

Post by Richard Wyn Jone » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am new to Linux and have recently installed the Slackware distribution on
to my system.

I have two hard drives.

The first is a 1.7GB Quantum drive which has Windows 95 installed
The second is a 250MB Quantum drive which has two partitions (Linux Swap
and Linux Native)

The problem?

When I attempt to mount the first drive Linux does not recognise the drive
and returns an error about a Bad Superblock.

I am using LILO as a startup boot menu. The first drive is an EIDE drive
which requires the Quantum Ontrack driver to be loaded in order to access
the full 1.7GB.

Is this the root of my problem or am I way off here?

Would appreciate any help with this problem

Quantum Ontrack Driver and LILO

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>I am new to Linux and have recently installed the Slackware distribution on
>to my system.

You need a fairly recent Linux kernel to cope with the lossage caused by
OnTrack.  I installed Red Hat Linux 4.0 on a firend's machine which had OnTrack
and that worked fine (I wasn't even aware it had it until afterward!).

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

Post by Phillip Kh » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:
: You need a fairly recent Linux kernel to cope with the lossage caused by
: OnTrack.  I installed Red Hat Linux 4.0 on a firend's machine which had OnTrack
: and that worked fine (I wasn't even aware it had it until afterward!).
:
: --
: James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
:  Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're
: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html|still a rat.
:

Is there anything special that needs to be done in order to make use of the
OnTrack driver? The documentation concerning this feature is rather sparse.
I haven't tried it out yet as I'm having difficulties compiling a new kernel :<
2.0.25, and I'm currently running 1.2.13.

Phil.

1. LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

Hello All,

Hoping someone has some experience with a situation like this:

My i486 has a 6.4 Gig hard drive which uses OnTrack's Disk
Manager in MSDOS6.22.  I would like to have Linux and MSDOS
available from the LILO menu at boot up (Linux default).
What happens now is that it boots straight into MSDOS6.22.
I can however start Linux using the boot disk.

I installed LILO on my root partition which is below the
1024th cylinder.  In Linux fdisk, MSDOS is set as the active
partition.  I deactivated that partition and activated my
root partition, but at boot up (after the OnTrack message)
I got the message to insert a boot disk.  I also tried a
couple of things mentioned in the LILO-mini-HOWTO to no
avail.  Does Red Hat Linux not cooperate nicely with
Disk Manager?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

2. x freeze after suspend2disk: please help!

3. Help: Linux, LiLo and Ontrack

4. using NAT for redundancy

5. Ontrack DDO and LILO

6. ADAPTEC 2842 driver code. WHERE???

7. Lilo and Ontrack in the MBR

8. Passwd -g ?

9. lilo and Ontrack

10. LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS

11. Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

12. Help: Linux, LiLo and Ontrack

13. LILO and Seagate Ontrack