HELP! with square one

Post by John Jacob » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

My understanding is that if I rawrite a bootdisk image to a 1.2M 5.25
inch floppy and boot it, something should happen, right?

I've tried bare, abare, and xt and all I get when I boot the a: drive
is "LI".  First the "L" then a few seconds later, the "I".  Then
nothing.  Besides being a moron, does anyone know what my problem is?

two days and I can't find any help...

Thanks again.
JJ

HELP! with square one

Post by Daniel P Barn » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>My understanding is that if I rawrite a bootdisk image to a 1.2M 5.25
>inch floppy and boot it, something should happen, right?

>I've tried bare, abare, and xt and all I get when I boot the a: drive
>is "LI".  First the "L" then a few seconds later, the "I".  Then
>nothing.  Besides being a moron, does anyone know what my problem is?

>two days and I can't find any help...

>Thanks again.
>JJ

Hi JJ,

From the 'Linux Bible' I gleaned the following:

"When LILO loads itself, it displays the word 'LILO'  Each letter is
printed before or after performing a specific action."

In your case, for 'LI', it states, "The first stage boot loader was
able to load the second stage boot loader, but has failed to execute it.
This could either be caused by a geometry mismatch or by moving
/boot/boot.b without running the map installer."

Your situation appears to be the first.  You did not specify what type of
harddrive you have, but one of mine is a WD 540MB.  You would use the
following statement when you get the boot: prompt from your boot disk
in this exanmple:

boot: append = "hd=63,16,1048"

where:   63 = sectors per track
         16 = number of heads
       1048 = number of cylinders

Again, since you did not specify what type/size of harddrive you are using,
it is tough to be much more help.  You mention that you have been reading
some documents.  Do you have any Linux books?  I happen to have three and
I have found them to be invaluable along with daily monitoring of the
c.o.l newsgroups.

The Linux Bible, 3rd Edition,  by Matt Welsh and others, from Yggdrasil
Running Linux, by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman, from O'Reilly & Associates
Using Linux, Special Edition, by Jack Tackettm Jr., David Gunter and
             Lance Brown, from QUE

Hope this helps some.  One other point, when you finally need to break down
and post for help, be sure to provide plenty of pertinent info.  You will
get a much better response if a lot can be gleaned by a quick scan of your
problem AND your setup including hardware/software info/versions depending
on the problem.

Best of Luck,
Dan

| http://www1.minn.net/~dpbarnes # life into your PC today!     |
| Maple Grove, Minnesota  USA    # Live Long and Prosper Linus! |
|________________________________#______________________________|

1. Square one!

Hi all,

well I am completely new to Linux [just managed to successfully install
Redhat V5] alongside win95.after the necessary alterations to the partition
table etc. And I thought I had hit the jackpot when I found the GUI after
being in the shell for about 6 hrs nonstop!!!!!
    So! I have access to plenty of FAQ's and HowTo's but still I would
appreciate being gently nudged in the right direction in regard to a couple
of questions.

Here goes

I am trying to modify my fstab to allow mounting of fd0 on /fd0,cdrom on
/hdh. I can make the commands execute fine from the shell but when I try to
modify fstab via emacs there is a message saying to modify via fstools in
Xfree86...ok simple enough.
    On attempting this I am confronted with all sorts of hassles! i.e.
FileSystem Tool [graphic] wont allow me to save my alterations at all. Into
the text version we go!but here I am having problem with file type for cdrom
the default FS is isofs  not 9660 so I edit the entry to make allowance for
this...but it wont accept the change and returns to isofs.
    kernel boot log verifies that neither of these alterations have taken
effect.
well thats it for now...any help will be gratefully received

Oh also.....with "ls" command......how do you make it show only one screen
at  a time? Instead of scrolling to the bottom of listing???.....I'm tearing
my hair out on this one!!!!!

Graeme Grundill

2. Printing to remote printer: Linux to Linux

3. Mouse cursor is a large white square in X, please help.

4. CHANGES file in kernel source distribution

5. Black Screen, White Square, Help!

6. trying to sync ipaq, cannot find module ppp-compress-21

7. Help! Square mouse pointer ?

8. Crystal SoundFusion soundcard problem

9. HELP: My mouse pointer is now a big square block

10. Help! - MouseMan Pointer as a square!

11. HELP : Two 3c905 one works one does not

12. Help: Need to reroute output from one tty to another one

13. One-to-One NAT help