Ontrack DDO and LILO

Post by Calum John Roberts » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've got two drives on my machine. The master drive is running Win95
and has the Ontrack Dynamic Drive Overlay software v.9.4.5 installed
on it. The slave drive is currently blank and I intend installing
Redhat 5.2 on it. I was intending to perform a workstation class
installation but I see that this will automatically install LILO. Will
installing LILO mess up my DDO? Is it better to do a Redhat custom
installation and boot from a boot floppy disk?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Calum.
--
==
Calum Robertson

Ontrack DDO and LILO

Post by Bernd-Ulrich Adrig » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Calum John Robertson schrieb in Nachricht

>Hi,

>I've got two drives on my machine. The master drive is running Win95
>and has the Ontrack Dynamic Drive Overlay software v.9.4.5 installed
>on it. The slave drive is currently blank and I intend installing
>Redhat 5.2 on it. I was intending to perform a workstation class
>installation but I see that this will automatically install LILO. Will
>installing LILO mess up my DDO? Is it better to do a Redhat custom
>installation and boot from a boot floppy disk?

>Thanks in advance for any help given.

>Calum.
>--
>==
>Calum Robertson

Hi Calum,

YES, it will mess up your DDO, IF you install lilo into the MBR!!!

So better give loadlin a chance. Under "senseless95" you can make a menu in
the CONFIG.SYS to start either "senseless95" or LINUX via loadlin.

But what about reconfiguring your System without Ontrack?

Bernd

1. Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

The Disk Manager software that comes with very large EIDE hard drive
wipe off the Master Boot Record (MBR) and inserted the DDO code in the
MBR.  Linux doesn't need the DDO.  Linux can access all the hard drive..
But the proble is the Linux lilo need to write something in the MBR
in order to boot Linux from hard drive.  If the Disk Manager is not
installed, then DOS or NT can't access all the hard drive and Linux lilo
can't boot either from boot sector..

Right now, I have to use linload from dos parition (after bootup
from DOS) to boot Linux.

Anyone have the solution??

--
Linh C. Nguyen

++++++++++++++++

2. newbie HP 930C help

3. ontrack ddo; windows doesn't see my files

4. VGA driver problem and soundcard problem

5. installing LILO without destroying DDO/Win95 configuration?

6. Ultra 60, (Rx fifo overflow)

7. LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

8. NEED HELP on CD-ROM install

9. Help: Linux, LiLo and Ontrack

10. Lilo and Ontrack in the MBR

11. lilo and Ontrack

12. LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS

13. Help: Linux, LiLo and Ontrack