PPP Setup problems and general problem in fvwm

PPP Setup problems and general problem in fvwm

Post by Paul Tsa » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I'm using slackware 2.0.3 and I've got everything working except these
three things.

When I start a Xwindows application such as emacs or xfig, it thinks
that my screen is bigger than it is and starts the application off in
two of my virtual screen windows.  Sometimes when I start it on the
first desktop, I won't be able to move it cuz the top is un-reachable by
mouse.  Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

I have a pager that manages the desktops.  I have 12 windows in this
thing, I want to decrease this to about 4.  How do I do this?

I've been trying to set up PPP.  I have tried various methods of doing
this but no success.  I used minicom to first login to my ISP and then
quit minicom to start pppd.  I've tried a chatscript but it didn't work
either.  Does anyone know how I can use chat so that I can see what it
is sending the modem and what the modem is responding with?  It seems to
be trying to connect but hangs up on me after a while.  When I type
"ifconfig" which is what one of the documentations said, it said that
this command did not exist.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.  I've been struggling with linux
setup for weeks and I still can't get it working perfectly the way I
want it to.  It's very frustrating.

Paul Tsai

PPP Setup problems and general problem in fvwm

Post by k.. » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I've been trying to set up PPP.  I have tried various methods of doing
>this but no success.  I used minicom to first login to my ISP and then
>quit minicom to start pppd.  I've tried a chatscript but it didn't work
>either.  Does anyone know how I can use chat so that I can see what it
>is sending the modem and what the modem is responding with?  It seems to
>be trying to connect but hangs up on me after a while.  When I type
>"ifconfig" which is what one of the documentations said, it said that
>this command did not exist.

Sounds familiar.  If you can connect with minicom, I don't think you have
to mess with configuration - you just need to get the information to chat
and pppd.  I got the following to work on my system:

I put the pppd command and options in an executable file- the file's one
line is:

pppd /dev/cua0 19200 connect "chat -f /root/chatfile" crtscts  modem

this tells pppd that the modem is /dev/cua0, that it's a pitiful 14.4, and
that it should use chat to connect, and that chat should use /root/chatfile
for dialing commands. this calls the text file /root/chatfile, which looks
like this:

ABORT   BUSY
ABORT   'NO CARRIER'
ABORT   'NO DIALTONE'
''      'AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0'
OK      ATDT5554571
CONNECT ''
ogin:   mylogin
word:   mypassword

This setup seems to work fine.

1. General problem with printer setup

I have installed Suse 7.3 and I have a Konica Colour Laser Printer. The
problem is that, when I print I always get an empty page thrown out after each
print job. I have configured the printer with yast and I use it via a samba
share from my Windows box via the raw device to print with the original
Windows drivers. I was thinking that this may be a problem of the driver, but
now I installed a HP Officejet Colour printer and here is the same behaviour
so I guess this is somewhere in the apsfilter configuration or such. On the
other hand I thought that using the raw device the data should be sent exactly
as if printing on a local printer directly from windows, without any parsing
in between. Or is there somewhere an option that I can turn off. This is not
really a problem as I use my printer not that often and I put the page back
in, but it is annoying nevertheless and I'm of the opinion that my
computerequipment should do what I want it to do and not the other way around.
:)

--
Gerhard Gruber

Fr jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache L?sung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

2. RPC communication not stable

3. Help! cd-rom, PPP & general problems.

4. tcsh for Solaris 7

5. FVWM Config and PPP Setup

6. ********* FREE INTERNET ***********

7. Color Problem with fvwm (and no problem with twm), pl. advise

8. LPD to HP 4Si printer

9. Problems compiling fvwm => linking problem

10. going backwards - X problems and now general problems

11. general fvwm/X questions

12. PPP stands for Problem Problem Problem

13. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins