Help: Adaptec 1542 SCSI HD (not) installing

Help: Adaptec 1542 SCSI HD (not) installing

Post by Edmund Stephe » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

A plea for help - any assistance welcome!

My system:      Elonex 486/33, 16Mb RAM
                SCSI adapter Adaptec 1542, unit 7
                HD is 1.2Gb SCSI, unit 0.
                NEC SCSI CD-ROM, unit 2.

Linux distribution: Slackware v2.3 (book and CD of P.Volkerding et al)

There is no internal drive, Dos and OS/2 detect the HD primary
partitions Ok. The bootdisk preparations all fail, eg the "SCSI"
bootdisk (which should work as I understand the text) gives the
following error:

BusLogic SCSI: buslogic_out: failed(4): BusLogic SCSI: buslogic_stat:
status=39, intrflags=84
aha1542_in failed(3): Unable to determine Adaptec DMA priority.
Disabling board.
No BIOS32 extensions present. This release versions depends on it.
Sorry.
scsi: 0 hosts.
(and so on)

I get the gist of this, but dont know what to do about it. Using the
"COLOR144" rootdisk, I can get a ramdisk fs working, only none of the
/dev/sda* partitions respond.

Any assistance/suggestions gratefully recieved. Any suitable bootdisk
images out there ?

        Ed Stephens.

Help: Adaptec 1542 SCSI HD (not) installing

Post by Walther H?jgaard Diechma » Thu, 28 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>There is no internal drive, Dos and OS/2 detect the HD primary
>partitions Ok. The bootdisk preparations all fail, eg the "SCSI"
>bootdisk

I don't know about this version but here are some hints

        a) at boot time AHA1542 must show up just after memory check
           and identify LUN IDs 0 and 2

           if not ctrl-A to configure AHA1542 and enable BIOS
           (this way AHA1542 ROM becomes part of BIOS extension in some
            way - though I am no SCSI expert)

        b) when creating boot disc remember to ask for SCSI support
           (generic) or AHA154x,  whatever choices you have

That's my best shot at it

regards,
-W

Help: Adaptec 1542 SCSI HD (not) installing

Post by Gregory McKayn » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I get the gist of this, but dont know what to do about it. Using the
> "COLOR144" rootdisk, I can get a ramdisk fs working, only none of the
> /dev/sda* partitions respond.

> Any assistance/suggestions gratefully recieved. Any suitable bootdisk
> images out there ?

>    Ed Stephens.

I had a similar problem, and to solve it, I entered the aha driver at the
"boot:" prompt.
I believe the syntax was:

boot: linux aha1542=0x330

where 0x330 was the base address of my AHA1542C
this worked for me.  :)

Help: Adaptec 1542 SCSI HD (not) installing

Post by Bart Cast » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

There is also a problem with the version of BIOS on board of the
AHA1542B : it should be higher are equal to 3.20!
So the 1542 worked (for me) with 1.1.59 kernel, but doesn't work with
slack 1.2.3, RedHat 1.0, Caldera Preview I : so all 1.2.>8 and 1.3.X

It seems that for 15$ you can obtain a EPROM (BIOS) from adaptec.
I'm planning to do this myself!
(I got this out of this newsgroup (or hardware) (I think)

CU
bart

Post by Herman Kuip » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: >> I get the gist of this, but dont know what to do about it. Using the
: >> "COLOR144" rootdisk, I can get a ramdisk fs working, only none of the
: >> /dev/sda* partitions respond.
: >>
: >> Any assistance/suggestions gratefully recieved. Any suitable bootdisk
: >> images out there ?

I tried to install Slackware 2.3 on my 486 DLC this weekend and it also
did not recognize my drives - the msgs at boot time said that it could
not figure the DMA level and then disabled the board. As I haven't the
original article here, I don't know if you get the same message.

However, the controller + HDs worked in my other computer which also runs
Linux.  When I tried the Slackware 2.0.1 boot disk, everything worked!
(The other computer used the older Slackware).

A friend of mine told me that the Buslogic probe (before the Adaptec probe)
was the problem. What I did was using the 2.0.1 bootdisk to get a boot
prompt and then use the 2.3 root disk to install. When next booting Linux
(with floppy) do something like root=/dev/sda and then recompile the kernel
disabling the Buslogic probe. Don't if there is a fix already though...

        Herman

Research Engineer - National Aerospace Laboratory NLR Amsterdam    (NLR)
Voice: +31-20-511 3633 (work), or +31-70-399 8688 (home)              /

1. RedHat 7.1 install and Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller

The 7.1 installation does not have an option for the Adaptec 1542 scsi
controller. The one Adaptec controller driver that is listed as an
option doesn't work with the 1542. How can I get 7.1 installed on
my machine? Where can I get a driver for the 1542 that will allow me
to install 7.1?

-Dave

2. save mail in a file

3. Help !!!!!! Adaptec 1542 SCSI Controller

4. Sun Netra Web Server Question

5. HELP: SCSI - Syquest 270/Adaptec 1542 timeouts

6. GDB on armlinux

7. installing adaptec 1542 HELP!

8. Color Depth in XFREE86 V3

9. Request for help installing Linux with Adaptec 1542

10. Adaptec 1542 and SCSI reset?

11. Adaptec AHA-1542 SCSI problem

12. Adaptec 1542 SCSI lost

13. Adaptec 1542 and a SCSI Tape Drive under Linux ...