Installing Redhat 4.2 from NFS via Xircom card

Installing Redhat 4.2 from NFS via Xircom card

Post by Steve Smit » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I currently have Redhat 4.0 and want to upgrade to Redhat 4.2, which I
have ftp'ed to my local network.

I want to install it on my laptop (Compaq LTE 52000), via an NFS mounted
network drive. The Xircom CEM 28 PCMCIA driver is not included in the
Redhat 4.2 disribution, so I don't have the option to select my card
upon installation, and hence I can never see the network drive.

I have obtained the Xircom driver and the PCMCIA package, can someone
tell me how to produce the necessary changes to the Redhat 4.2 boot disk
so that my card can be detected. (why is the Xircom driver in the Redhat
installation not supported?)

I have access to another Linux system and so can compile a kernel if
necessary, but then how can I make this kernel part of the Redhat 4.2
install procedure. I guess this is the general question of how to use a
custom kernal in the installation disk.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Post by Chris Adam » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I currently have Redhat 4.0 and want to upgrade to Redhat 4.2, which I
> have ftp'ed to my local network.

> I want to install it on my laptop (Compaq LTE 52000), via an NFS mounted
> network drive. The Xircom CEM 28 PCMCIA driver is not included in the
> Redhat 4.2 disribution, so I don't have the option to select my card
> upon installation, and hence I can never see the network drive.

> I have obtained the Xircom driver and the PCMCIA package, can someone
> tell me how to produce the necessary changes to the Redhat 4.2 boot disk
> so that my card can be detected. (why is the Xircom driver in the Redhat
> installation not supported?)

> I have access to another Linux system and so can compile a kernel if
> necessary, but then how can I make this kernel part of the Redhat 4.2
> install procedure. I guess this is the general question of how to use a
> custom kernal in the installation disk.

> Any help would be much appreciated.

> Cheers

> Steve

Had a very similar requirement as your's, except with the Xircom CEM2 card.
Though I didn't succeed in installing via the ethernet card (mainly as the
driver was version 1.4 at the time, and hardware for CEM2 card is
reportedly different - ended up using the RH4.2 boot disk which supports
install via PLIP), the following notes may help you.

The PCMCIA support comes on the supplement bootdisk, via the pcmcia.cgz
file.
This is a compressed gzip copied with cpio using crc format, and contains
all the pcmcia modules and programs (probe, cardmgr) required for the boot.

To add the drivers for Xircom, first recompile all the new sources, so that
they are all made with the same version of pcmcia (2.9.x). Make sure that
the new driver is included in etc/pcmcia/config if added separately.

Copy the pcmcia.cgz file, rename to pcmcia.gz, gunzip pcmcia.gz.

List it's contents to a file with something like:
   cpio -i --list --file=pcmcia >pc.files
A look at pc.files will show the files and directory structure contained.

What follows is easiest by copying the existing files and directories to
the current directory with:
   cpio -i --file=pcmcia -d

Then replace these files with the modules and programs your compiled
earlier.
Edit pc.files to include the new drivers, and make sure the drivers are
contained in the directory structure.

When they both match, create the new archive with:
   cat pc.files | cpio -o -L --file=pcmcia -H crc
   gzip pcmcia
   mv pcmcia.gz pcmcia.cgz

Copy to supplement disk, and reboot.

Was able to select the Xircom driver, a bit sketchy, but probably from the
normal menu.

Hope this helps,
Chris