shells shells shells

Post by m » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi
I have many shells on my system ( csh, bash, tcsh...) but I don't know
which one to use?
I don't know what are the differences between them

Please help me

thanks

Have a nice day..
Homepage:    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/6639

shells shells shells

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I have many shells on my system ( csh, bash, tcsh...) but I don't know
> which one to use?
> I don't know what are the differences between them

This is not really a Linux question but a generic Unix question, as
such you'd have done better to post it to comp.unix.questions and
read the associated FAQ first since as I recall this is the subject of
a whole FAQ document on comp.unix.questions.

shells shells shells

Post by mumf.. » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Hi
>I have many shells on my system ( csh, bash, tcsh...) but I don't know
>which one to use?
>I don't know what are the differences between them

>Please help me

go to comp.unix.shell and read the FAQ about this.

--

to munge spam email scanners.  Remove before mailing.
Finger that address for my PGP Key.

1. Bourne Shell compatible shells (was: Request: which shells)

Me too :-)

I also had some problems with smail and make depend. Don't remember how I
fixed them.

I also detected two other problems with bash 1.12:

 - it wouldn't run the Configure script of trn 3.0 (beta). This will be
   fixed in bash 1.13, but the Configure script has already changed so that
   it works with bash 1.12 too.

 - it does something wrong with passing $* from other shell scripts which are
   included by the `.' command. I detected this when INN 1.4 rejected all
   newgroup messages.

The pdksh I have (4.7) is absolutely unuseable for running Configure
scripts. Try the following script with pdksh 4.7 with two or more parameters:

        #!/bin/ksh

Zsh gives also problems with Configure scripts.

I use tcsh as interactive shell and bash as /bin/sh substitute because bash
is the more-or-less Bourne shell compatible shell which runs most of the
(Configure) scripts I have.  Running Configure scripts (sometimes >100Kb) is
a real good test for testing /bin/sh compatibility of shells.

Arjan

3. handling SIGINT in shell scripts when executing another shell script.

4. XStation Software

5. UNIX shell differences and how to change your shell (Monthly Posting)

6. HPUX 9.05 C++ shared libs question, more detail

7. Please help!!!

8. killing a shell that has a running child shell

9. Changing from the Bourne shell to C-shell

10. UNIX shell differences and how to change your shell (Monthly Posting)

11. Trying to run nohup from Korn shell but getting Bourne shell errors

12. Q: How can I have a shell script call another shell script...