Login: RH 5.1 Slower than RH 4.2

Post by Perry Gri » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

When running RH 4.2 (no xdm), I could type my password
as fast as I wanted to.  No problems.

Now with RH 5.1, I easily whip out the first two letters
of my password  before the password prompt appears. This
slow-ness results in failed logins every time, requiring
a second login attempt.

This never happened before!  It reminds me of my old
Sparc5 running "Slow-R-Us".  I thought any delay could
be attributed to the time from getty finishing it's job
to when login was spawned to get the password.  Why is
this taking so long to do now?

Not sure is this just happens on first login after boot-
up or not.  I don't let my box run forever, since I have
no UPS.

By the way, in an unrelated RH 5.1 event.......

Why does Xconfigurator barf if you have a custom keyboard
map file and edit /etc/sysconfig/keyboard to point to the
custom file?

Perry Grieb
--
Perry Grieb

Login: RH 5.1 Slower than RH 4.2

Post by Tom Fawcet » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> When running RH 4.2 (no xdm), I could type my password
> as fast as I wanted to.  No problems.

> Now with RH 5.1, I easily whip out the first two letters of my password
> before the password prompt appears. This slow-ness results in failed
> logins every time, requiring a second login attempt.

> This never happened before!  It reminds me of my old Sparc5 running
> "Slow-R-Us".  I thought any delay could be attributed to the time from
> getty finishing it's job to when login was spawned to get the password.
> Why is this taking so long to do now?

Maybe because 5.1 uses glibc which has to dynamically load one or more of
the libnss_ libraries to handle the getpwent call; and 5.1 uses PAM, whose
libraries have to be dynamically loaded to do login authentication.

There are probably other differences that could account for it, but that
would be my guess.

-Tom