getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

Post by Vipe » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm getting a "couldn't get a free page" message when installing.
This message shows on the Alt-F4 screen.
I'm installing RedHat 4.2 from a store-bought RedHat
software package (not bundled with a "regular" book,
just 250 page guide).

The system is a 486-25 with 8MB of RAM and a
730MB Quantum SCSI-2 HDD.  The CDROM drive
is a Mountain CD7 changer (I'm only using disc
tray 1, and it accesses the drive just fine for the
install up to the point where I get the above message).
I switch to Alt-F4 to see this message after the Alt-F1
screen remains stationary for a long period of time.

The SCSI controller is an old clone (Tekram) that has
caching enabled (for some reason, I used to be able
to get into the Tekram configuration on boot-up
by pressing F2 or F6 to enable/disable disk caching
and setup other SCSI parameters, but can't now, so
I'm stuck with caching enabled on the hard disk
device).

I get the error while installing packages during the
initial install.  At first, I selected "Everything" and had
a 95MB swap partition.  Then I tried selecting just
Emacs and NFS and using about a 140MB swap
partition.  Results were the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and
thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cameron

getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

Post by Yonghui Wan » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi.

Quote:

> Hi.

> I'm getting a "couldn't get a free page" message when installing.
> This message shows on the Alt-F4 screen.
> I'm installing RedHat 4.2 from a store-bought RedHat
> software package (not bundled with a "regular" book,
> just 250 page guide).

I have the same problem with two PCs. It crash just after formatting the
partition or after installing a few packages. It gives no error other than
"couldn't get a free page". I wonder what the problem is.

Quote:

> The system is a 486-25 with 8MB of RAM and a
> 730MB Quantum SCSI-2 HDD.  The CDROM drive
> is a Mountain CD7 changer (I'm only using disc
> tray 1, and it accesses the drive just fine for the
> install up to the point where I get the above message).
> I switch to Alt-F4 to see this message after the Alt-F1
> screen remains stationary for a long period of time.

Both my PCs are P166 with 32Mb of RAM and a 2Gb EIDE Hard driver,
Pentium VX mother-broad. I have got a 128Mb of swap partition.

Quote:> I get the error while installing packages during the
> initial install.  At first, I selected "Everything" and had
> a 95MB swap partition.  Then I tried selecting just
> Emacs and NFS and using about a 140MB swap
> partition.  Results were the same.

I get the error at the same stage as well. I've tried with setting
up by using NFS, ftp and CDROM, the same error occurs.
I wonder if there is any fix for this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Regard

Yonghui
Frank

           __^^^^^__

=========ooO==(_)=Ooo========================================================
Yonghui Wang                                    Room 14, Staircase 4
                                                St. Catherine's College

                                                Oxford
                                                OX1 3UJ

Telephone:
Daytime: 01865-(2)72910
Evening: 01865-(2)81550

Try: My own Internet Web page at
     http://users.ox.ac.uk/~scat0113

Post by Gerald McLarno » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > I'm getting a "couldn't get a free page" message when installing.

[snip]

Quote:> Both my PCs are P166 with 32Mb of RAM and a 2Gb EIDE Hard driver,
> Pentium VX mother-broad. I have got a 128Mb of swap partition.

One thing that Yonghui didn't mention is that it is only happening
on two machines out of an identical bunch of about 10 all made up
at the same time.

On some kernel development threads there was some discussion about
timings on memory, etc., to help the problem. Under investigation
currently is subtle differences in bios configurations which
might trigger the problem, although perhaps a better plan is just
to make a RedHat installation floppy with a more recent kernel on
it.

Mind you, I've never made one of these but would be interested
in whether anyone has done this and/or whether anyone has any ideas
for speeding up the installations (besides cloning), e.g. making
an install disk for saying no to SCSI/PCMCIA, formatting partitions
in a certain manner, automatically choosing packages/keyboard,
knowing where the ftp site is, etc.

Now that Atmos is at more than 20 machines on people's desks running
solely RHL4.2 and another half a dozen dual booting (plus a couple
running experiments), this is becoming a serious matter! For our
other main O/S (Digital UNIX of which we will have more than 15
within a few days) I have started using RIS, although this does
take longer than doing the RHL stuff in general (although the
package granularity is even coarser than RHL so that makes it
even nicer!).

- Gerald

Post by Eric Lee Gree » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> >> I'm getting a "couldn't get a free page" message when installing.
> >Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

> My brother got the same message while he was installing Red Hat for me
> the other day.  This happened to him while the install was formatting

I have so far installed Red Hat 4.2 on approximately 30 machines. I
would estimate that 20 of them gave the "couldn't get a free page"
message while the install was formatting the partitions.

That message appears to be related to large partition sizes. It does not
appear to be related to the bad-blocks checking program, because I get
the same message when I re-try the installation telling it "don't check
bad blocks".

I can make it continue formatting by going to alt-F2 and pressing any
key. There is a long pause, then the hard drive resumes churning.

--

getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

Post by Eric Lee Gree » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> It's just struck me what the problem probably is. All but the newest
> version of mke2fs take memory proportional to the size of the
> filesystem you're creating.

I thought of that. I checked /proc/meminfo to verify that the swap
partitions had already been set up. They had been. meminfo reported that
I had over 100M of memory available. (I set up a few spare swap
partitions just to make sure I had plenty of memory!).

Somebody else has mentioned the 2.0.30 kernel's buffer management
algorithms  and bugs therein and suggested that therein lay the problem
(i.e., mke2fs makes a huge # of io requests at one time,  and the kernel
blows its cookies). I dunno, sounds a bit speculative to me...

--
Eric Lee Green                              Executive Consultants

Post by Frank Sweetse » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > >Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

> > My brother got the same message while he was installing Red Hat for me
> > the other day.  This happened to him while the install was formatting

> I have so far installed Red Hat 4.2 on approximately 30 machines. I
> would estimate that 20 of them gave the "couldn't get a free page"
> message while the install was formatting the partitions.

Yup, this is a known problem with 2.0.30  RedHat 5.0 will ship with 2.0.31,
which has this problem fixed.

paramount.res.wpi.edu RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
[Norm returns from the hospital.]

Coach:  What's up, Norm?
Norm:   Everything that's supposed to be.
                -- Cheers, Diane Meets Mom

1. getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

Hi.

[...]

2. ftp and telnet server slow response

3. Please Help: "Couldn't Get a Free Page" Problem!!!

4. xinted service starting automatically if not running

5. Kernel 1.1.64 - "Couldn't get a free page"

6. MKLinux + Geoport?

7. Request about Error msg: "Couldn't get a free page"

8. Commercial Dongle Solution?

9. "Couldn't get a free page" kernel errors

10. Problem with the message "Couldn't get a free page ....."

11. Returning from ioctl: "Couldn't get a free page" ?????

12. "Couldn't get a free page....."???

13. Crashes: "Couldn't get a free page....."