How do I switch between KDE and GNOME?

Post by Ed Hurs » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> On redhat 6.1? Right now I have GNOME, but I would like to try KDE (it
> is installed), so how do I switch?

> Any documentation ? Man ?

According to the "RH 6.1 Gotchas" found at RedHat.com, you have to make
sure that you have installed both "switchdesk-gnome" and "switchdesk-kde"
RPMs.  Once installed (use gnorpm, because it does the config, too), and
Gnome is restarted, you'll find it in the menu system.  If you use it, it
will write the changes to your $HOME files.  If for some reason it won't
stay switched, create the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the following
line: " preferred=KDE "  and then restart X.

Ed

Post by Jon Loldr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On redhat 6.1? Right now I have GNOME, but I would like to try KDE (it
is installed), so how do I switch?

Any documentation ? Man ?

Greetings from Jon Loldrup

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>On redhat 6.1? Right now I have GNOME, but I would like to try KDE (it
>is installed), so how do I switch?

>Any documentation ? Man ?

>Greetings from Jon Loldrup

With RedHat 6.0, you can open an xterm and type "switchdesk-kde" I believe.
Perhaps its the same under 6.1.  I no longer use redhat stuff so am not
sure.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>On redhat 6.1? Right now I have GNOME, but I would like to try KDE (it
>is installed), so how do I switch?

You can run switchdesk --
or edit or create a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop
with just the word "KDE" in it.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

How do I switch between KDE and GNOME?

Post by denta.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Okay, but how to do in SuSE (6.2)?
I have both KDE and GNOME installed, but with "startx"
only KDE appears. In the graphical login, I can choose between
several window managers, but only "fvwm, fvm2, window maker, kde, ..."
no GNOME.

Any idea?
Martin

> > On redhat 6.1? Right now I have GNOME, but I would like to try KDE
(it
> > is installed), so how do I switch?

> > Any documentation ? Man ?

> According to the "RH 6.1 Gotchas" found at RedHat.com, you have to
make
> sure that you have installed both "switchdesk-gnome" and "switchdesk-
kde"
> RPMs.  Once installed (use gnorpm, because it does the config, too),
and
> Gnome is restarted, you'll find it in the menu system.  If you use
it, it
> will write the changes to your $HOME files.  If for some reason it
won't
> stay switched, create the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the
following
> line: " preferred=KDE "  and then restart X.

> Ed

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by David Groga » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Okay, but how to do in SuSE (6.2)?
> I have both KDE and GNOME installed, but with "startx"
> only KDE appears. In the graphical login, I can choose between
> several window managers, but only "fvwm, fvm2, window maker, kde, ..."
> no GNOME.

> Any idea?
> Martin

create a file .xinitrc in your home directory.  Put the line
exec gnome
inside of it.  Then type startx.  If you want to switch back, comment out
the line.

Lemme know if this isn't right.
hth

-dg

How do I switch between KDE and GNOME?

Post by Dusk, Lor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi David,

take a look at /etc/rc.config. There is a line called

'DISPLAYMANAGER='.

Put in your wanted windowmanager (e.g. windowmaker, kde.....).

This is another way of choosing a default windowmanager.

Regards,
    LD

>> Okay, but how to do in SuSE (6.2)?
>> I have both KDE and GNOME installed, but with "startx"
>> only KDE appears. In the graphical login, I can choose between
>> several window managers, but only "fvwm, fvm2, window maker, kde, ..."
>> no GNOME.

>> Any idea?
>> Martin

>create a file .xinitrc in your home directory.  Put the line
>exec gnome
>inside of it.  Then type startx.  If you want to switch back, comment out
>the line.

>Lemme know if this isn't right.
>hth

>-dg

1. gnome/kde switching

apologies for bringing this up again (yes I have done a usenet search)

installed SuSE 8.0 professional last night.  Nice and easy, impressed.

I would like to delve into all the options Linux offers including
using Gnome instead of KDE.  However can't seem to switch between
them.  Is there a specific utility?  have tried "startx gnome" in a
terminal window but gives an error (I assume becuase KDE is already
running) How can I get Gnome as an option in the graphical login?  How
can I boot up into text mode so I can choose then?

I tried what is suggested in the SuSE manual ("startx gnome") and what
is suggested here:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/multiwm.html

but get the same error message:

Fatal Server Error
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start
again

-SuSE help blurb-

Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno3): Server error

Cheers

ps. as an aside could someone briefly delineate the difference between
a shell and a terminal window.  thanks

Also can anyone recommend site(s) or book(s) that is a COMPLETE linux
reference, all the way from basics to advanced.

2. Linux-Ft 1.1 and CM205 Cd drive

3. Switch from Gnome to KDE

4. Using ESS 1887 in OSS

5. HELP : Switching from KDE to Gnome graphical environment

6. Apps won't load libraries

7. Switching from KDE to Gnome

8. skipping empty lines at the top/bottom

9. switch between kde/gnome ???

10. Switch Desktop to KDE from Gnome

11. Switching between KDE and GNOME

12. cant′t switch between kde and gnome