Upgrade Install hangs while probing PCI hardware

Upgrade Install hangs while probing PCI hardware

Post by s.. » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi...

I've been running linux (1.1.59) fine for months now on my P90.  I'm
trying to upgrade using the Infomagic (4/96) distribution.  I've tried
both Red Hat 3.0.3 and Slackware 3.0 and I end up in exactly the same
state:  The system hangs during the initial boot from the boot disk
right after it states: "Probing PCI Hardware".  (right after the
notification: "pcibios_init: PCI BIOS revision 2.00 entry at 0xfc380")
Again, this is during the installation procedure for either Red Hat or
Slackware.

Has anyone experienced this problem?  My 1.1.59 kernel still works
fine, but I don't believe it probes the PCI hardware as it boots.
(can't remember if it did when I installed it).

My system includes:
   "PK5" motherboard (unknown manufacturer)
         (sticker on the board says "4110116-PK5Z248C")
   AWARD Bios
   PCI local bus with:
      DTC2130D dual-IDE disk controller, and
      Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM card w/ S3 Trio 64 chipset
   plugged into the PCI slots.
   Mistumi CRMC-FX400   IDE CD-ROM
   NO SCSI devices at all
   NO Ethernet cards at all

I'm trying to use the most basic kernel image, with IDE CDROM and no
ethernet or scsi support.

Anyone know how to prevent the "Probing PCI Hardware" part of the
initial install boot, or anyway to otherwise get around this problem?
I've tried every conceivable command line parameter, but nothing
helps.  Hopefully someone out there can.

Thanks,
Scott Wiebke

1. 4.2 install hangs while probing hardware.

I recently downloaded the 4.2 iso image and tried to install it.  It
gets to the point where it is probing for hardware and hangs the
machine solid.  Only the reset switch fixes it.  I then received the
Official CD and the same problem happens at the exact same time.  Same
thing with a downloaded floppy image.

The machine is a Dell Dimension 4100 (I can get more detailed if
needed).  4.0 installs fine.

Thanks in advance,

Reinhardt Schoenfeld

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Crash!

3. install hangs on probing hardware

4. Virtual interfaces on Ultrix

5. FreeBSD 4.4 newbie install...hangs on "hardware probe"

6. Multiple versions of Apache

7. Probe Pci and the PCI Hardware list.

8. Contest results (2.4.19 2.5.47 .48 .49)

9. PCI: probing PCI hardware ... in eterno

10. 4.7 install hangs (CD boot hangs when probing devices)

11. Installation hangs after hardware probes (2.1R)

12. 1.1.81 PCI probe hang

13. "probe-pci" hangs Ultra-5... :-(