tty8 and /var/adm/messages (Console Log)

tty8 and /var/adm/messages (Console Log)

Post by Muhammad Salman Mugh » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

  I guess the subject says it pretty much.  How do I display /var/adm/messages
on tty8?  I used to have tty8 set for displaying the system log, ever since I
reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything, it's gone.  I will
appreciate any help.  Thanks.

--
Salman Mughal           Computer Science        Mississippi State University

Post by Mil » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

:   I guess the subject says it pretty much.  How do I display /var/adm/messages
: on tty8?  I used to have tty8 set for displaying the system log, ever since I
: reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything, it's gone.  I will
: appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Go into /etc/syslog.conf and add the line
*.=info;*.=notice                               /dev/tty8

that should do it.  or make the *.info... part whatever types of messages
you want to display.. that is just what mine is set to.

--
Kevin

1. tty8 and /var/adm/messages (Console Log)

Hi all,

  I guess the subject says it all.  How do I display /var/adm/messages
on tty8?  I used to have tty8 set for displaying the log, ever since I
reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything, it's gone.  I will
appreciate any help that you could provide.  Thanks.

--
Salman Mughal           Computer Science        Mississippi State University

2. Help installing linux testdrive

3. trimming /var/adm/messages & /var/adm/syslog

4. Help with SlackWare 3.0 and AHA2940

5. Clean way to remove /var/adm/messages and /var/adm/syslog

6. socket vs proccesses

7. syslogd failed to log message to /var/adm/messages

8. Help: A C & C++ programming book for Linux

9. How large can /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog get ?

10. Stoping sendmail from logging everything in /var/adm/messages

11. in.lpd logging to /var/adm/messages; lpstat

12. How to close /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages..

13. /var/adm/messages log reads snmpdx errors.