Bizarre Mandrake 8.1 install issue

Post by Eric Laffoo » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 01:22:52

Hi all,
I have downloaded Mdk 8.1 and installed it on several systems. One system I
have been trying to install is an Athlon system with a UDMA 100 IBM drive
and a newer IDE CD burner. It generates various errors but it has so far
gotten just far enough to erase the / and /usr partitions and render it
useless. For some reason I have not even been able to reload 8,0.

The most resent error it gives is that it can find the RPM packages on the
CD. I've checked md5 sums on the download iso and installed other systems
with the same CD. I've tried pulling the drive and installing it in other
systems also with no luck... yet the drive has been working just fine. I
can't explain it. Are there any known problems/solutions with this hardware
setup?

TIA
--

A member of the Quanta+ Web development team
http://quanta.sourceforge.net

1. Kernel panic mounting CD-RW in Mandrake 8.1 (Via c hipset issue?)

I've posted this elsewhere but got no responses, and have information to
which might help...
I installed Mandrake 8.1 on my system that uses an Athlon 1000 in an
Epox 8KTA3 mobo, which uses the VIA KT133A / 686B chipset.  It also has an
Acer 4432 ATAPI CD-RW on /hdc and an old Toshiba 4x CDROM on /hdd.  Kernel
is 2.4.8-mdk.

The CD-RW is set up with SCSI emulation, so there is no /dev/hdc (couldn't
even ls it); there is instead /dev/scd0.  When I try to mount the CD-RW, it
sits about 20 seconds and then kernel panic occurs.

Others have told me that VIA chips are buggy.  I went to Viahardware.com
and saw a lot of talk about problems with sound cards, but I'm using only
motherboard built-in sound (SB emulation) which works fine.
And the system is very stable in Windows 98.  I didn't notice problems in
Red Hat 7.1, and only used Mandrake 8.0 for a short time before switching
to Red Hat, in part because it couldn't play music CDs.  (Well, Red Hat
turned out not to be great at it either, so that IDE chain is a bit
suspicious.) Finally, I upgraded the BIOS, which viahardware suggests
helps.  No difference.

Nothing's visible in KDE but when I try to mount it from console mode, I
can at least see the last 24 lines of the kernel panic.  Here's what it
looks like, mostly, from hand-transcription, with some ellipses of my own:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address a6b40767
 printing eip:
c884d323
*pde=00000000
Oops: 0002
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[<c884d323>]
E flags: 00010002
... a bunch of registers I didn't get...
process kapm-idled (pid:4, startpage = c1253000)
stack: ...
call trace: ...
code: c7 80 7c 01 00 00 00 00 07 00 8b 3e 24 85 ff 0f 84 68 01 00
<0>Kernel panic:  Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

Now I'm not a kernel guru or anything, just trying to be a user, but it
does seem to involve interrupts, and I don't know what kapm-idled is. Does
all of this mean anything to anyone reading it?  Thanks!
--
Fred R. Goldstein   k1io   fgoldstein"at" wn.net
These are my own opinions. You expect anyone else to agree?

2. Linux as DHCP server to Win 98

3. can't install mandrake 8.1(rc1) from harddisk

4. 1.3.63 compile error

5. Problem installing Mozilla to Mandrake 8.1

6. X server with >256 colors?

7. HELP: Installing Mandrake Linux (8.1)

8. DTC 3270 VL

9. not a directory error msg installing mandrake 8.1

10. Problem installing Mozilla to Mandrake 8.1

11. HELP: Installing Mandrake Linux 8.1

12. problems re-installing Mandrake 8.1

13. Mandrake 8.1 installing software