Slow Sendmail daemon and INND when booting

Slow Sendmail daemon and INND when booting

Post by Stefa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I am relatively new to this. First the facts:
I have dual boot configuration with Win98 and Linux (Redhat 6.0, kernel
2.2.5-15); I am not networked, but use PPP to connect to ISP via modem.

Now the problem:
After I configured my ppp connection using KDE's kppp (connection works,
btw) I noticed that whenever I boot Linux the Sendmail daemon now takes
really long to boot (more than a minute), the same is true for INND.
They do boot though. Also, all other services boot up fine.

Originally, I thought it may have to do with some of the configuration
files that were touched when I set up my ppp connection, but my hosts
file is basically empty(except for the loopback address entry 127.0.0.1
Localhost) and my resolv.conf also looks OKJ.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Maybe, it's completely unrelated to
these. Should I rebuild the kernel?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Stefan Ahrens

Post by Sonny Ki » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>btw) I noticed that whenever I boot Linux the Sendmail daemon now takes
>really long to boot (more than a minute)

That is due to the fact that you don't have DNS setup in your machine...or
rather, most likely cause.

Sonny

Slow Sendmail daemon and INND when booting

Post by dean_at_br.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

I have a similar problem, but I do have DNS configured.  I think the
specific problem is that sendmail is attempting to resolve your domain
name and until your connected it won't.  In my case once sendmail has
started everything is fine.

Maybe there is a way to fool sendmail into thinking it has resolved the
name or is there an option to stop it resolving?

Any ideas?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Slow Sendmail daemon and INND when booting

Post by Santiago Rodriguez Llorent » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I have the same problem with redhat 6 and the kppp and i haven't been able
to get a workaround for this because the way kppp touches the resolv.conf.

This is a really anoying issue for someone like me who has a home-based
linux box, to boot every day or two days and a modem ppp conection to a
couple of different ISP, plus X preferred .....

if i am in 90%-of-the-time stand-alone box, why should i set up a DNS to
boot up ??
if i have a couple of different ISPs, how do i set up a default domain for
my box ??

really looking forward for help!! :)

regards
Santiago

Quote:>Hi

Post by Mohd H Misn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hello,

>I have the same problem with redhat 6 and the kppp and i haven't been able
>to get a workaround for this because the way kppp touches the resolv.conf.

>This is a really anoying issue for someone like me who has a home-based
>linux box, to boot every day or two days and a modem ppp conection to a
>couple of different ISP, plus X preferred .....

>if i am in 90%-of-the-time stand-alone box, why should i set up a DNS to
>boot up ??
>if i have a couple of different ISPs, how do i set up a default domain for
>my box ??

>really looking forward for help!! :)

What you need to do is to assign your FQDN into your /etc/hosts. My Linux FQDN
is n30207.pc.jaring.my and I've the following inside my /etc/hosts.

127.0.0.1 n30207.pc.jaring.my localhost n30207

Give it a try!

--

|AMDK6-2/300/Linux2.2.12 | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/   |
-Strike any user when ready.

Slow Sendmail daemon and INND when booting

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>What you need to do is to assign your FQDN into your /etc/hosts. My Linux FQDN
>is n30207.pc.jaring.my and I've the following inside my /etc/hosts.

>127.0.0.1 n30207.pc.jaring.my localhost n30207

Standard redhat install will make this:

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain

The localhost.localdomain is there to avoid sendmail* in setup.

If the system don't have a NIC then it probably don't need to have sendmail
running anyway, so you can run 'ntsysv' and simply disable it.

--
Villy

1. Sendmail daemon slow response

I have one box running sendmail-8.11 (RH7.2) 192.168.0.2, and I usually
send mail from another box on my network with pine (4.44). In my pine
configs, I have the SMTP server set to 192.168.0.2, and usually mail goes
through without trouble. Today (out of the blue) however, pine
starts failing to send messages with the errors:

Sending mail | 0%

That lasts for about a minute or so, then:

Connection failed to 192.168.0.2,25: Connection timed out.

Then:

Error sending.

On 192.168.0.2, in /var/log/maillog, I get:

Mar  2 09:11:51 cq4712 sendmail[25894]: NOQUEUE: Sorcerer
[192.168.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

What's odd is that I haven't changed my sendmail or pine configs in weeks,
and usually it works, then out of the blue it starts with the above
behavior. Rebooting the RH box (192.168.0.2) does not fix it, and the last
time this happened the problem appartently fixed itself after about a day
or so.

Sending mail through 192.168.0.2 from another box on my network with
netscape mail works (but still takes longer than usual), and gives me this
in my maillog:

Mar  2 09:25:52 cq4712 sendmail[25954]: g22HPpv25954:

relay=[192.168.0.4]

Mar  2 09:25:53 cq4712 sendmail[25956]: g22HPpv25954:

mailer=esmtp, pri=30325, relay=subdimension.com. [209.150.29.129],
dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Command DATA Processed mail data Ok)

I think this problem has to do with how fast sendmail responds (netscape
mail waits longer for the SMTP response than pine does it seems). When
everything is working correctly, and I do 'telnet 192.168.0.2 25' I get a:

Trying 192.168.0.2...
Connected to cq4712.
Escape character is '^]'
220 cq4712.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6;
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 09:55:50 -0800

response immediately. When the problem starts occuring and I try this,
I get a:

Trying 192.168.0.2...
Connected to cq4712.
Escape character is '^]'.

immediately, but the '220 cq4712.localdomain ESMTP...' message takes
over a minute to appear. I guess the sendmail daemon isn't responding
quickly enough for pine. If I try this test from 192.168.0.2 with 'telnet
localhost 25' I get an immediate response. The delay only occurs when
trying to connect from other hosts on my network. My question is why this
happens and how I can keep my sendmail daemon responding quickly. If there
was some way to stop pine from timing out it would help too. I don't think
there is a problem with my network, as it functions perfectly in all other
ways.

TIA,

Marc

2. nonconsole logins/reboots

3. Sendmail Daemon slows down bootup

4. Adding X Font Path Problem

5. sendmail daemon start slow after changing hostname

6. Printer problem: "LP: Driver configured but no interfaces found!" message

7. Sendmail/Printer Daemon take forever to finish on boot

8. PPP/ipfwadm problems

9. mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

10. Need help with daemons, especially innd

11. sendmail so slow on boot...and smbd

12. sendmail slowing up booting

13. RH5 - very slow boot at sendmail and smbd