Can't get ide-scsi module to load automatically

Can't get ide-scsi module to load automatically

Post by Mike Olive » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:26:17

[ RH 6.2, kernel 2.2.17 ]

I followed the instructions in the CD-Writing HOWTO rather closely,
including the setup of /etc/modules.conf, but I can't get my
CD-RW to mount without issuing "/sbin/insmod ide-scsi" by
hand.  Once I do that, I can mount it fine.  Writing also
works.

(There is one point on which I diverged from the instructions --
I didn't enable ramdisk support -- but my kernel's been working
fine without it, using modules e.g. for the NTFS volumes, so
I kind of suspect that's an outdated instruction.)

My CD-RW is Secondary IDE Master.  Here's the relevant
part of my /etc/modules.conf:

  options ide-cd ignore=hdc            # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdb
  alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
  #pre-install ide-scsi   modprobe imm    # uncomment for some ZIP drives only
  pre-install sg     modprobe   ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
  pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load   ide-scsi before sr_mod
  pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi

(At least I *think* that's the relevant part -- I don't understand
kernel modules very well, as may be clear already.)

Can't get ide-scsi module to load automatically

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:14:40

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:26:17 -0700, Mike Oliver staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> [ RH 6.2, kernel 2.2.17 ]

Whoa.  Time to upgrade, eh?  I hear SuSE 7.3 is very nice....

Quote:> I can't get my CD-RW to mount without issuing "/sbin/insmod ide-scsi"
> by hand.

The typical quick fix/hack here is to put "modprobe ide-scsi" in
/etc/init.d/boot.local .  That's /etc/rc.d/rc.local for Redhat and
derived distros.

Quote:> My CD-RW is Secondary IDE Master.  Here's the relevant
> part of my /etc/modules.conf:

>   options ide-cd ignore=hdc
>   alias scd0 sr_mod

Er.  "alias block-major-11 sr_mod" is more general.

Quote:>   pre-install sg     modprobe   ide-scsi
>   pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi

So, when you try to access /dev/scd0 in any fashion, before sr_mod is
loaded, ide-scsi should be loaded.  Seems like this should work, though
you might also try inserting the line
  alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
if you don't have a real SCSI card.

Quote:>   pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd

When you're running ide-scsi emulation, IDE CD-ROM support is totally
unnecessary and usually shouldn't be used.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /