Printing to an SMB Winprinter?

Post by David Be » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:04:12

Is it possible to print, over a network, to a Windoze98SE print server without
the proper printer drivers?  The printer in question is a Xerox P8 (No e).
It's not just Linux that needs a driver for this thing -- My W2K machines can't
use it either!  It'd be nice if I could use the same solution for both Linux
and Windoze.  I was thinking, maybe there's a program I could run on the print
server to recieve the raw data and convert it as if it were being printed
directly from the that machine...  Does something like that exist, or is there
an easier solution?  Thanks!

-------------------------
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

Printing to an SMB Winprinter?

Post by Mark » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:28:23

Quote:> Is it possible to print, over a network, to a Windoze98SE print
server without
> the proper printer drivers?  The printer in question is a Xerox P8
(No e).
> It's not just Linux that needs a driver for this thing -- My W2K
machines can't
> use it either!  It'd be nice if I could use the same solution for
both Linux
> and Windoze.  I was thinking, maybe there's a program I could run on
the print
> server to recieve the raw data and convert it as if it were being
printed
> directly from the that machine...  Does something like that exist, or
is there
> an easier solution?  Thanks!

> -------------------------
> David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

> Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my
email
> address. :)

I went to www.xerox.com and clicked on Support, then Drivers, and went
right to a Docuprint P8 (no e) driver.

Have another look.

Mark

--
Please reply to this newsgroup as my Deja mail
is used as a spam catcher only!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by David Be » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:24:54

Quote:>I went to www.xerox.com and clicked on Support, then Drivers, and went
>right to a Docuprint P8 (no e) driver.

>Have another look.

For WIndoze 9x, or NT, yes.  For *NIX or W2K, nope.  The NT driver wouldn't
work...  Can you elaborate?  Thanks!

-------------------------
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

1. Printing to an SMB Winprinter

Is it possible to print, over a network, to a Windoze98SE print server without
the proper printer drivers?  The printer in question is a Xerox P8 (No e).
It's not just Linux that needs a driver for this thing -- My W2K machines can't
use it either!  It'd be nice if I could use the same solution for both Linux
and Windoze.  I was thinking, maybe there's a program I could run on the print
server to recieve the raw data and convert it as if it were being printed
directly from the that machine...  Does something like that exist, or is there
an easier solution?  Thanks!

-------------------------
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

2. needs a logo

3. changing hostname

4. Paging, PCS Software for AIX

5. SMB, printing over smb, kcmshell smb fail on Red Hat 7.3

6. __vmalloc allocates spurious page?

7. printing with winprinters

8. Can connect to smb://192.168.0.112/share but not smb://NYS/share

9. should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

10. Such a thing as "Secure" SMB, ie encrypted SMB?

11. smbsh /smb: Do I create the directory /smb