want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

Post by p s » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:30:07



My onboard video adapter blew out and I want to use a card.  Windows98 does
fine but my linux will not work.  I run the Xconfigurator and it detects the
sis (onboard) video and not the trident (PCI).  How can I force it to use
the PCI?
Thanks,
Paul

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

Post by shingu » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:23:12


From the SIS video I assume you're having an IBM. The HMM contains the jumper
settings for the mobo, there's bound to be a jumper for disabling the onboard
video.

--

I love computer generated heat in the wintertime.


Remove the "nospam" part to get the message delivered

 
 
 

want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

Post by p s » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:24:19


There is not a jumper on the motherboard.  there is something in the bios
but it is just for saying which is the primary.  It doesn't shut off the
onboard.


> From the SIS video I assume you're having an IBM. The HMM contains the
jumper
> settings for the mobo, there's bound to be a jumper for disabling the
onboard
> video.

> --

> I love computer generated heat in the wintertime.


> Remove the "nospam" part to get the message delivered

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

Post by Dave » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:37:26



> There is not a jumper on the motherboard.  there is something in the
> bios but it is just for saying which is the primary.  It doesn't shut
> off the onboard.

If you make the new card the primary, is that not bypassing the onboard
video ?

Cheers

Dave

 
 
 

want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

Post by shingu » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 20:51:47


There is a manual for the board somewhere in the space-time continuum. Find it.

--

I love computer generated heat in the wintertime.


Remove the "nospam" part to get the message delivered

 
 
 

want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

Post by p s » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 01:16:39


I didn't specifically say that I got the information from the manual but
that is how I knew about the bios setting and that there is no jumper on the
motherboard.


> There is a manual for the board somewhere in the space-time continuum.
Find it.

> --

> I love computer generated heat in the wintertime.


> Remove the "nospam" part to get the message delivered

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

Post by Ralf Bade » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 07:16:22



> My onboard video adapter blew out and I want to use a card.  Windows98
> does
> fine but my linux will not work.  I run the Xconfigurator and it detects
> the
> sis (onboard) video and not the trident (PCI).  How can I force it to use
> the PCI?
> Thanks,
> Paul

> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

The lspci (probably /sbin/lspci) command gives you a list of devices on the
PCI bus. Look for your graphics adapter. In your XF86Config (something like
/etc/X11/XF86Config), section "Device", add the line
  BusID      "PCI:a:b:c"
where a:b.c is the number you see at the beginning of the lspci line of the
graphics adapter. See the manpages of lspci and XF86Config for additional
info. Maybe you must also write the right driver entry in XF86Config, which
I don't know by heart. And umpf, I just see that (a and b should both be 0,
but) b is given as 2-digit hex value in lspci, but as 2-digit decimal value
in XF86Config. For lspci:Oa, 0b...it would be in XF86Config:10,11...

--Ralf

 
 
 

1. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

I have a 2+ year old NEC machine which has an on-board video
chip (Trio64V+) .. I purchased a newer 3D video card last uear, right
now the brand escapes me

When I tried last year with RedHat 5.1, linux would never recognize
the PCI card, and always saw the on-board video, I can't remember what
went wrong, but I could never get X configured properly with the card
in, so I removed it

now that I am using Mandrake 6.2, will this later version of Unix be
able to handle the PCI card better?

Bowden

2. Sick of Upgrading? (Humour)

3. How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

4. cherche des pieces

5. Onboard Video & AGP Video

6. Problem with Solaris and DNS

7. Onboard vs PCI video

8. Perl mail header module?

9. Disabling on-board pci video in Linux

10. can I add a PCI video card if my motherboard has already one (onboard)?

11. using pci video instead of onboard on intel ca810e

12. I find PCI video grabber(or video capture card) supporting Linux

13. Jaton Video 67 PRO PCI VIDEO CARD DRIVERS