red hat install

Post by Rick Kneb » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am new to Linux and trying to install red hat on my computer. I have
a 1.6 g primary drive with windows 95 on it . I am trying to put Linux
on the slave 1.2 g drive. I patiioned it correctly with both a swap
and root directory with the correct tags. I added lilo to the root
directory. I also use system commander. When I try to boot linux at
the system commander prompt, Lilo comes up then it says starting dos
and windows 95 starts to boot up. Windows 95 is on the !st drive and I
cannot figure out why it is doing this.I would appreciate any help if
someone has any ideas. Thanks alot.
Rick Knebel

Rick Knebel

red hat install

Post by Scott Selle » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am new to Linux and trying to install red hat on my computer. I have
>a 1.6 g primary drive with windows 95 on it . I am trying to put Linux
>on the slave 1.2 g drive. I patiioned it correctly with both a swap
>and root directory with the correct tags. I added lilo to the root
>directory. I also use system commander. When I try to boot linux at
>the system commander prompt, Lilo comes up then it says starting dos
>and windows 95 starts to boot up. Windows 95 is on the !st drive and I
>cannot figure out why it is doing this.I would appreciate any help if
>someone has any ideas. Thanks alot.

It sounds like lilo is default booting your dos partition.  Try hitting
the TAB key when the lilo prompt comes on.  This will let you know what
OS's lilo knows about.  If you see "linux", go ahead and type it, and
hit return, and you should be in.  I believe in the Redhat install you
are offered the option of configuring lilo to boot another OS plus
linux.

--
Scott Sellers  |

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. 0k swap used!!

3. Red Hat Install - HD problem - "error opening directory"

4. What's this files' function under /boot

5. Red Hat Install - From FAT32 Partition on NEC Versa?

6. LIL- Descriptor Table Checksum Error

7. Compaq Deskpro XL Red Hat Install

8. Results rmap12e + XFS + 2.4.19-pre9

9. Red Hat install doesn't see Kingston PCI card

10. Red Hat install error: needs BIOS32

11. "Mount failed" during Red Hat install of MkLinux - help!

12. Slackware vs. Red Hat - Install Q

13. Diagnose Red Hat install problem