Help! : Network problems with Red Hat Linux 5.1

Help! : Network problems with Red Hat Linux 5.1

Post by Peter M. Goldstei » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hey There,

My apartmentmate and I are attempting to hook up an ethernet connection
to his Pentium box running Red Hat Linux 5.1.  We've run into a problem
which we believe has something to do with the packet routing.  Basically
the following is the case:

1) We can't ping the gateway or any other machine (local or not) aside
from the machine itself and the broadcast address of the subnet.

2) When we flood ping one of two things happens:
       i) On the broadcast address the ping receives packets, but has a
50% packet    loss.  There are also a large number of duplicates
(between 1-10% of the received packets)
      ii) On pinging itself or the loopback the machine successfully
receives 177 packets and then stops receiving.  This of course generates
a massive loss rate.

3) When we run ifconfig after attempting to ping a random machine the
eth0 interface has at most a small fraction of the ping packets listed
as transmitted packets.  On the other hand the number of transmitted
packets for the lo interface is usually incremented by TWICE the number
of packets recorded by the ping.  The number of received packets on the
lo interface is incremented by the same amount.  The number of received
packets on the eth0 interface remains unchanged (0).

4) The routing table appears to be correct.  That is, we have an entry
for the loopback that looks like

127.0.0.0    *   255.0.0.0  U    lo

An entry for the local subnet (including the gateway) that looks like:

xxx.xxx.xxx.0  *  255.255.255.248 U eth0

And an entry for the default that looks like

default xxx.xxx.xxx.1 255.255.255.255 UG eth0

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?  And more usefully, how to fix
it?  We're fresh out of ideas.  Any input would be greatly appreciated

--Peter

1. Help! : Network Problems w/Red Hat 5.1

[...]

2. Frustrated with ip masquerading on 2.4.5 kernel!!! Please Help....

3. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

4. Partition Recovery With Findpart

5. Red Hat 5.1 Network help needed!!

6. Sacred Cows...

7. Having problems with Network Cards and Red Hat 5.1

8. perl 4 Compile ?

9. Networking PPP problems Red Hat 5.1

10. Help! ftp problem with Red hat 5.1

11. Red Hat 5.1 multiple problems PLEASE HELP!!

12. HELP! Linux Red Hat 5.1 Install

13. red hat linux 5.1 firewall problem