Unique ramdisk problem

Post by Jim Brockm » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Thanks in advance for the help on this one -- I've read the FAQs, ng's,
how-to's, but this problem seems unique.  Sorry for long-winded-ness.

I have a gw2000, Caviar AC3100 1GB hard drive.  I installed InfoMagic
March 1995, partitioned the drive for about 60% dos and 40% Linux
and all was running swimmingly!

As happens, I shot myself in the foot.  My dos partition was corrupt; I could
not boot Linux at all, not even from a boot floppy, so decided scratching
the entire drive and reinstalling dos & Linux from scratch would be as easy
as anything to start over.
So I:
  - Ran dos fdisk and deleted both dos & Linux partitions
  - (Re)-created dos partitions, installed Windoze, etc.
  - Recreated boot & root floppies

The problem: I *still* can't boot linux at all from the boot/root floppies,
even after deleting/recreating partitions!  I get a boot: prompt o.k., but
either hang or receive an error trying to read the root floppy.
I've tried mount and ramdisk, neither work.  The diagnostic is slightly
different depending on parms passed to ramdisk (see below).
I've tried with floppies created with the lininst.exe utility, as well
as making them with rawrite, symtoms are identical in either case.
I also tried using brand new floppies, same problem.

Two scenarios I get are:

boot: ramdisk hd=2100,16,63
ide0: promary interface irq14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
Partition check:
hda: disabled multiple mode
hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5>
RAMDISK: 1474560 bytes, starting at 0x001f8200
VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER
VFS: Change detected on device 2/28
<System hangs here forever>

OR

boot: ramdisk hd=2100,16,63 root=/dev/fd0
ide0: promary interface irq14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
Partition check:
hda: disabled multiple mode
hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5>
RAMDISK: 1474560 bytes, starting t 0x001f8200
VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER
VFS: Change detected on device 2/0
floppy0: floppy timeout
end_request: I/O error, dev 0200, sector 0
floppy0: floppy timeout
end_request: I/O error, dev 0200, sector 2
RAMDISK: I/O/error while looking for super block!
<System hangs here forever>

Any ideas? this same system was running great before...

Thanks!

- Jim

Jim Brockman

TPS, Inc.

1. problem with creating ramdisk: kernel loads, but hangs when it tries to mount ramdisk

Hi,

I built a ramdisk root partition for redhat 5.2, but it seems to crash as
soon as the kernel jumps to the ramdisk.
The last message I see is:
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 fileseystem).

I built the ramdisk according to the instructions in docs/bootdisks
(followed it precisely)

Basically, I zeroed /dev/ram, made it an ext2 file system, and then mounted
it on /mnt.
I then created /mnt/dev, /mnt/etc, /mnt/bin, /mnt/sbin, /mnt/lib, /mnt/usr,
and /mnt/var
I populated dev with cp -dpR /dev /mnt
I then copied most of the /bin and /sbin binaries into their respective
locations.  I issued an ldd /mnt/bin/init and copied all of the libraries
required by init.  I stripped out the debug information with objmove from
the libraries and maintained symbolic links.

I then unmounted /mnt and copied the contents of /dev/ram to a file with a
dd if=/dev/ram of=rootfs bs=1k
It said there was a read/write error at this step.  Not sure what caused the
error.

Could someone post a generic redhat 5.2 (intel) ramdisk root partition (one
that can be mounted by the kernel and contains basic binaries)?  I would
really like to try a ramdisk that I know is working.

Thanks,

Oscar Stiffelman

2. Hangs Up at "Enter Run Level"

3. - ramdisk.image.gz (0/78) Re: potato on beige G3: where is ramdisk?

4. jre 1.1.8 and jars...

5. ramdisk for linux: mount /ramdisk

6. Logitech Mouseman (bus mouse)

7. init ramdisk vs. root ramdisk

8. New version of hfs_fs available for testing

9. ramdisk driver initialized: 16 ramdisks of 4096K size

10. Q: RAMDISK, how to make use of a ramdisk specified in kernel Makefile

11. Unique LILO problem

12. flock() problem unique to AIX

13. problem with mod_usertrack for counting unique visitors