RH 7.2 -- How to upgrade to latest Postgres via rpm?

RH 7.2 -- How to upgrade to latest Postgres via rpm?

Post by Carlos Moren » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:49:56

Hi,

I often run into trouble when trying to upgrade whatever
package on my Linux machines.

Right now, I have to upgrade postgres, but I seem to
systematically hit a wall whenever I try to do any
upgrade.

Is there a "general" procedure to follow in those cases?

Here's what I (unsuccessfully) tried:

I went to ftp.redhat.com, followed the path pub, redhat,
linux, updates, 7.2, en, os, and then I get a list of
platforms (i386, i486, etc.).  I went to i386, and
postgres rpms are not there.  Then I tried i586 and
i686  (both of which I *think* should work since I'm
running on a Celeron 733MHz -- that's another detail
I'm not 100% sure).

Anyway, then I tried 7.3  (thinking that maybe the
updates would be in the latest of the sub-versions
corresponding to the same major number, in this case
7).  Nothing.  Then, by the same reasoning, I figured
"maybe it's not in the latest, but in the earliest"...
So I checked the branch 7.0 -- nothing.

What does that mean?  I'm pretty certain that postgres
should be there, since RH7.2 comes with postgres 7.1.3,
and there's now a version 7.3 for postgres.

I guess I could just uninstall with RPM, then install
from the source...  But that sounds odd  (well, putting
aside the potential benefits of installing from the
source).  I also see on the postgres' site that they
have RPMs, but they have them in a redhat-7.3 directory,
which makes me doubt if it would work on a RH 7.2
system.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Carlos
--

RH 7.2 -- How to upgrade to latest Postgres via rpm?

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:03:09

Quote:

> Hi,

> I often run into trouble when trying to upgrade whatever
> package on my Linux machines.

> Right now, I have to upgrade postgres, but I seem to
> systematically hit a wall whenever I try to do any
> upgrade.

> Is there a "general" procedure to follow in those cases?

> Here's what I (unsuccessfully) tried:

> I went to ftp.redhat.com, followed the path pub, redhat,
> linux, updates, 7.2, en, os, and then I get a list of
> platforms (i386, i486, etc.).  I went to i386, and
> postgres rpms are not there.  Then I tried i586 and
> i686  (both of which I *think* should work since I'm
> running on a Celeron 733MHz -- that's another detail

redhat.com is often swamped, and you need to look in the appropriate
subdirectory. You want a good local mirror, such as:

    ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS

Go look again.

Post by Carlos Moren » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:56:37

>>I went to ftp.redhat.com, followed the path pub, redhat,
>>linux, updates, 7.2, en, os, and then I get a list of
>>platforms (i386, i486, etc.).  I went to i386, and
>>postgres rpms are not there.  Then I tried i586 and
>>i686  (both of which I *think* should work since I'm
>>running on a Celeron 733MHz -- that's another detail

> redhat.com is often swamped, and you need to look in the appropriate
> subdirectory. You want a good local mirror, such as:

>     ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS

There are no updates for postgres either  :-(

This directory points to the "out-of-the-box" RH7.2 configuration.
I went to the "updates" branch, and it seemed identical to that
of RedHat's site  (in particular, I didn't find postgres' RPMs)

Thanks for the tip anyway!  It's true that I could browse this
one *much* faster than on the RedHat's ftp server.

Carlos
--

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 00:31:28

> >>I went to ftp.redhat.com, followed the path pub, redhat,
> >>linux, updates, 7.2, en, os, and then I get a list of
> >>platforms (i386, i486, etc.).  I went to i386, and
> >>postgres rpms are not there.  Then I tried i586 and
> >>i686  (both of which I *think* should work since I'm
> >>running on a Celeron 733MHz -- that's another detail

> > redhat.com is often swamped, and you need to look in the appropriate
> > subdirectory. You want a good local mirror, such as:

> >     ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS

> There are no updates for postgres either  :-(

> This directory points to the "out-of-the-box" RH7.2 configuration.
> I went to the "updates" branch, and it seemed identical to that
> of RedHat's site  (in particular, I didn't find postgres' RPMs)

> Thanks for the tip anyway!  It's true that I could browse this
> one *much* faster than on the RedHat's ftp server.

Then as far as RedHat is concerned, that's the latest tested out for 7.2.
You could check out the RedHat 8.0 and rawhide directories for more recent
code....

1. command not found after RH 7.2 kernel upgrade via "Upgrade Agent"

Hi,

I upgraded the kernel of my Redhat 7.2 (on intel machine) from 2.4.7-10smp to
2.3.9-31smp via the Upgrade Agent (a Gnome GUI tool) sevral days ago. I am not
very sure whether I reboot the system after upgrade.  Now during the shutdown/boot up
time, lots of service and commands are shown as "not found".  I don't how to catch
the screen when system boots up. Is there any way to cahtch it besides using VMware
to boot from another OS?

However, I noticed the following from output of `dmesg`.

u10k1: EMU10K1 rev 8 model 0x8040 found, IO at 0xc400-0xc41f, IRQ 19
APIC error on CPU1: 00(08)
APIC error on CPU0: 00(04)
APIC error on CPU1: 08(08)
APIC error on CPU1: 08(08)
APIC error on CPU0: 04(02)
 ... ... (skip)
APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
APIC error on CPU1: 08(04
----------End of `dmesg` ------------

Moreover, the `ifdown` and `ifup` give some error message though it is still functional.

/sbin/ifdown: : command not found

/sbin/ifup: : command not found
Determining IP information for eth0... done.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes: : command not found

/sbin/ifup

/sbin/ifup: Bourne-Again shell script text executable

Is there something wrong with the linking of those scripts?

I would have another general questions about Linux. My system is with dual Celeron 466 and
384M memory. The terminal screen refreshes very slow when doing a ls on the directory with
lots of files in it (say, more than 500), it is so even after I press a space and return.
It is back to normal after I clear the screen.

It happens when ~350M out of 384M RAM are allocated, where 200M are cached.   I guess the
low memory may cause the problem, but why does this happen? After boot up into gnome, only
~100M are used.  It seems something eats up the memory. However, I only run xmms, usernet,
xosview, netscape and terminal those days.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me any pointer.

Felix Liu

2. Need help in understanding VLAN technology

3. RH 7.2 font aliasing problem after upgrading kde and xfree w/RH rpms

4. Mandrake Linux for the PowerPC

5. RH 7.3 KDE3.0.1 RPMs with RH 7.2

6. Source code for password encryption wanted

7. Default Postgres Installation RH 7.2

8. Disk partitions and Geometry code

9. Upgrading from RH7.1 to RH 7.2 without upgrading Kernel

10. Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

11. newbie-How to upgrade from RH 7.2 to RH 7.3?

12. Upgrade RH 6.0 to RH 7.2

13. Quotas broken on RH 7.2 upgrade to RH Kernel 2.4.20-13.7