Printing from Netscape - Jibberish!

Post by Russ Perkin » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Whenever I try to print from Netscape, all I get is jibberish on my dot matrix.
Do I have to be running some kind of filter in order to get this thing to print
correctly? It seems to be dumping out some kind of postscript data.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Post by Rob Sco » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Whenever I try to print from Netscape, all I get is jibberish on my dot matrix.
>Do I have to be running some kind of filter in order to get this thing to print
>correctly? It seems to be dumping out some kind of postscript data.  Any help
>would be appreciated.

Same problem for me.  You probably need a PostScript printer to print directly from Netscape.. but maybe you can save it to file and then print it with GhostScript.

-Rob-

Post by Gary Ka » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Do I have to be running some kind of filter in order to get this thing to print
: correctly? It seems to be dumping out some kind of postscript data.  Any help
: would be appreciated.

If it's Postscript data, you need to run the data through a filter like
ghostscript before it gets to your non-Postscript printer.  I got mine
working by creating a new print device definition in the /etc/printcap
file.  I now configure all programs which send out Postscript to the
printer so that they send it to my newly defined Postscript printer, which
is really a Citizen printer with a ghostscript front end.  I followed the
examples about writing filters in the Printing-HOWTO.

I did have one problem with the examples, however.  I couldn't get
'gs' to act as a pipe, so I followed one of the other examples about
when a program only accepts commandline parameters and filenames.  Also,
I hade problems using the process ID (PID) as a filename, as shown in the
samples.  I had to use a temporary file with a name explicitly mentioned
in the script.  The fixed name, of course, wouldn't work if two users
or processes on my system wanted to use the Postscript device at the same
time.

1. Stumped by Ghostscript (Netscape printing on Epson Stylus Pro w/lpr based printing)

I have been trying to setup Netscape to print under Ghostscript for the
past month and have had no luck  (I did get thousans of sheets of
Postscript code, and error messages.   It would be nice to have someone
tell me what I need to do as of switches, pipes, evironment varibles,
and anything else needed to set up gs.

My printing system is outlined as follows:

Operating System:  Slackware Linux (I forget the version number)
Printer: Epson Stylus Pro on LPT1: configured w/  standard spooler
X Windows System:
Video card: S3ViRGE w/ 4MB VRAM (apearently configured for X properly)
Mouse: Logitech Trackman Marble on COM1: (apearently configured for X,
and Linux comand prompt properly)
Network: PPP dialup to Internet (apearently configured properly) (Hosts
file recently re-configured by setup program)

Thank you for your time,
Robert Ruedisueli

2. Linux Rocks - film at 11

3. Printer producing jibberish about page 8 or so

4. Tiny programmers -

5. HELP! SEAGATE 1GIG JIBBERISH

6. apache perl module? EOH?

7. fvwm95 fails: executeModule seeks jibberish modules

8. Need help with telnet drops

9. fvwm95 2.0.43a: executeModule looks for jibberish modules

10. Non Netscape Proxy between Netscape Commerce Server & Netscape Browser

11. HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING

12. Printing Printing Printing

13. Print, Print, Print.....