WinLinux + Windows 98 + Windows 2000??

Post by Bria » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:25:41

Hi Guys,

I have already Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 installed on my system,
Notebook Toshiba, no floppy     :-(

I found this WinLinux 2003 that is suposed to run from a FAT partition (2000
is on C: (FAT32) and 98SE is on D: (FAT32)). I am planning to install
WinLinux on D: as this is the bigger partition. Installing WinLinux seems
quite easy but I am not sure about LILO.

How would be the correct way to install WinLinux while keeping my existing
OS and being able to multi-boot between the three of them? Use LILO or use
the already installed W2K boot manager? If I need to create the floppy boot,
how to do it (I don't have it)?

Thanks,

Brian

Post by Douglas Mayn » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:19:47

> Hi Guys,

> I have already Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 installed on my system,
> Notebook Toshiba, no floppy     :-(

> I found this WinLinux 2003 that is suposed to run from a FAT partition
> (2000 is on C: (FAT32) and 98SE is on D: (FAT32)). I am planning to
> install WinLinux on D: as this is the bigger partition. Installing
> WinLinux seems quite easy but I am not sure about LILO.

> How would be the correct way to install WinLinux while keeping my
> existing OS and being able to multi-boot between the three of them? Use
> LILO or use the already installed W2K boot manager? If I need to create
> the floppy boot, how to do it (I don't have it)?

> Thanks,

> Brian

Does your Toshiba have a CDROM and network capability?

--Douglas Mayne

WinLinux + Windows 98 + Windows 2000??

Yes to both questions.

Post by Douglas Mayn » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:32:49

> <snip>

>> > Hi Guys,

>> > I have already Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 installed on my system,
>> > Notebook Toshiba, no floppy     :-(

>> > I found this WinLinux 2003 that is suposed to run from a FAT
>> > partition (2000 is on C: (FAT32) and 98SE is on D: (FAT32)). I am
>> > planning to install WinLinux on D: as this is the bigger partition.
>> > Installing WinLinux seems quite easy but I am not sure about LILO.

>> > How would be the correct way to install WinLinux while keeping my
>> > existing OS and being able to multi-boot between the three of them?
>> > Use LILO or use the already installed W2K boot manager? If I need to
>> > create the floppy boot, how to do it (I don't have it)?

>> > Thanks,

>> > Brian

>> Does your Toshiba have a CDROM and network capability?

>> --Douglas Mayne

> Yes to both questions.

Caveat: I am not using WinLinux.  I took a look at the website:

http://www.winlinux.net/2003/order/

How did you choose this distribution?  I am concerned this distribution
does not have a clear link to download the source for all packages in the
distribution, as required by the GPL.  If you can link that back to me,
then that potential problem would be eliminated.  Also, this is not on
the list of distributions at linux.org. Phat Linux is shown on the
linux.org website, but it seems to have a similar "pay first" problem.

If D: is mostly empty, or you could move its contents, then consider
using that space to use a more mainstream distribution of Linux
(RedHat, Mandrake, Slackware).

To emphasize, I am not using WinLinux (or PhatLinux) and the advice I
offer below could require modification for use with a so-called loop-back
distributions, where the entire linux distribution exists as a
large file in another OS's partition.

First, how does WinLinux recommend that the distribution be started?
Would that method be satisfactory for you?

Second, assume you can start WinLinux by some method.  Here is some
advice, which is not distribution dependant about creating a stand alone
start disc.

Since you don't have a floppy, I would suggest creating a boot cd-r.  The
first step is to create a boot floppy, to be used as the basis for a
boot cd-r.  I have found grub to be the most flexible boot loader; so
assume the following is true:

        1. You can set the laptop to boot from a CD
        2. You can start Linux (by some method).
        3. The Grub /*program*/ is installed on your system; but not installed
as the boot loader- because
        4. You want to leave the MBR intact on your hard disc for your other
proprietary OSs.

So you want to create a floppy similar to the method explained here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q4

We need to alter these instructions, because we are working with a
"virtual" floppy, a disc image:

        dd if=/dev/zero of=boot.img bs=1024 count=1440
        losetup /dev/loop0 boot.img
        mkfs -t vfat /dev/loop0
        mkdir /mnt/loop0
        mount -t vfat /dev/loop0 /mnt/loop0
        mkdir -p /mnt/loop0/boot/grub

The minimum files necessary for grub to work:
        stage1
        stage2
        menu.lst

Locate these files in your linux distribution.  Possible locations are
/boot/grub or /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc

Setup the files in the image:

        dd if=stage1 of=/dev/loop0 count=1 bs=512
        cp stage2 /mnt/loop0/boot/grub
        cp menu.lst /mnt/loop0/boot/grub

Edit menu.lst (if necessary):
        cd /mnt/loop0/boot/grub
        vi menu.lst

Unmount your image file:
        umount /dev/loop0
        losetup -d /dev/loop0

Use the image file to create a bootable cd. This is one method to create
the bootable cd image from your floppy image:

        mkdir -p /tmp/boot
        mv boot.img /tmp/boot
        cd /tmp
        mkisofs -b boot/boot.img -c boot/boot.catalog -o boot.iso boot

The file created is /tmp/boot.iso.  If your laptop is not equipped with a
CD writer, then send the file to another computer via its network
connection.  Otherwise, write this image to a CD and test rebooting with it.

--Douglas Mayne

Post by Douglas Mayn » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:14:40

>> <snip>

> <snip>

> So you want to create a floppy similar to the method explained here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q4

> We need to alter these instructions, because we are working with a
> "virtual" floppy, a disc image:

>    dd if=/dev/zero of=boot.img bs=1024 count=1440 losetup /dev/loop0
>    boot.img
>    mkfs -t vfat /dev/loop0
>    mkdir /mnt/loop0
>    mount -t vfat /dev/loop0 /mnt/loop0
>    mkdir -p /mnt/loop0/boot/grub

> The minimum files necessary for grub to work:
>    stage1
>    stage2
>    menu.lst

> Locate these files in your linux distribution.  Possible locations are
> /boot/grub or /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc

> Setup the files in the image:

>    dd if=stage1 of=/dev/loop0 count=1 bs=512

> <snip>

The above line is _NOT_ a sufficient replacement for these commands, from
within a grub shell:
        grub> root (fd0)
        grub> setup (fd0)

with an actual floppy disc!  Sorry! Perhaps someone else in this group
knows how to do this correctly.  I'll try to find an alternate solution
also, but I thought I should post this correction ASAP.

--Douglas Mayne

WinLinux + Windows 98 + Windows 2000??

Post by Bria » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:11:56

Actually I use Knoppix, and it runs fine in my notebook. As for WinLinux,
the only appeal to use it is that it supports installing in a FAT partition,
you don't need to create a Linux one. If you just follow the download links
on the site, you will end with two options:

1. A free one (a little smaller)
2. A paid one

I just downloaded the free one:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/winlinux/2003/WinLi...

Brian

> [...]

> Setup the files in the image:

> dd if=stage1 of=/dev/loop0 count=1 bs=512
> cp stage2 /mnt/loop0/boot/grub
> cp menu.lst /mnt/loop0/boot/grub

> Edit menu.lst (if necessary):
> cd /mnt/loop0/boot/grub
> vi menu.lst

> Unmount your image file:
> umount /dev/loop0
> losetup -d /dev/loop0

> Use the image file to create a bootable cd. This is one method to create
> the bootable cd image from your floppy image:

> mkdir -p /tmp/boot
> mv boot.img /tmp/boot
> cd /tmp
> mkisofs -b boot/boot.img -c boot/boot.catalog -o boot.iso boot

> The file created is /tmp/boot.iso.  If your laptop is not equipped with a
> CD writer, then send the file to another computer via its network
> connection.  Otherwise, write this image to a CD and test rebooting with

1. Triple Boot Red Hat, Windows 98, Windows 2000

Install Win98 first, them Win2k. The Win2k bootloader will give you the
choice between Win98 and Win2k. Install Linux after that, with the /boot
hint of the PBen and put LILO in the Linux boot partition. Then first you
can boot Linux with a floppy. After that you can create a small file with a
command I just can't remember (read the howto on WinNT and Linux) which you
can copy to the root of C:, and you add a line to the boot.ini on the
booting drive for Win2k, enabling you to start off Linux as you start the
other two operating systems.

2. Error writing TIFF header

3. Linux, Windows 2000 & Windows 98 on one Disk

4. Open Desktop with Mouse on com 2?

5. Installing OpenBSD 2.8 with Windows 98 and Windows 2000

6. Setting up a Printer

7. KDevelop 1.1 for Windows 95/98/NT/2000

8. Archive/backup of Linux Partition

9. Windows 2000 & 98

10. SAMBA on Windows 98/2000

11. Microsoft Windows XP/2000/ME/98/95 - Software from MikeSoft

12. So is Windows XP faster or slower than 98/ME/2000?

13. rcp and rexec from Windows 98, 2000 to AIX V5.1