X Mouse Error

Post by Tom Fahe » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

Im not having much luck with Linux.  Ive just installed RedHat 5 but cant
load X.  The following error is displayed: Cannot open mouse (Operation not
supported by device).

The full output is as follows:

(--) S3 :  videoram: 2048k
(--) S3 : Ramdac type: S3_trio64
(--) S3 : Randac speed: 135 MHz
(--) S3 : Using Trio32/64 programmable clock (MCLK59.957 MHz)
(--) S3 : Maximum allowed doc-clock: 95.000MHz
(**) S3 :Mode 800x600: mode clock = 50.000
(**) S3:Using 16bpp. Colour weight:565
(**) S3:Virtual resolution set to 800x600
(--) S3 : Local bus LAW is 0XF8000000
(--) S3 : Using a bank size of 2048k, line width of 800
(--) S3 : Using a single 64x64 area of (736,601) for expanding pixmaps
(--) S3 : Using 16 planes of 736x709 at (0,6010 aligned 8 as font cache

Fatal server error
Cannot open mouse (Operation not supported by device).

Thanks

X Mouse Error

Post by Mark Vincen » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm sorry to say that I have exactly the same problem with X under RedHat 5.
I have a PS/2 Port mouse which the install program recognises but X does not
seen to want to use.

Mark.

>Im not having much luck with Linux.  Ive just installed RedHat 5 but can
>load X.  The following error is displayed: Cannot open mouse (Operation not
>supported by device).

>The full output is as follows:

>(--) S3 :  videoram: 2048k
>(--) S3 : Ramdac type: S3_trio64
>(--) S3 : Randac speed: 135 MHz
>(--) S3 : Using Trio32/64 programmable clock (MCLK59.957 MHz)
>(--) S3 : Maximum allowed doc-clock: 95.000MHz
>(**) S3 :Mode 800x600: mode clock = 50.000
>(**) S3:Using 16bpp. Colour weight:565
>(**) S3:Virtual resolution set to 800x600
>(--) S3 : Local bus LAW is 0XF8000000
>(--) S3 : Using a bank size of 2048k, line width of 800
>(--) S3 : Using a single 64x64 area of (736,601) for expanding pixmaps
>(--) S3 : Using 16 planes of 736x709 at (0,6010 aligned 8 as font cache

>Fatal server error
>Cannot open mouse (Operation not supported by device).

>Thanks

1. Fvwm2 Startup error, mouse error and Linux partition extending?

Before I go on, if you can help me with any of the problems detailed
below, then please make sure that you change the e-mail address to
sonshine-AT-saturncom-DOT-com-DOT-au before mailing (to prevent spam,

Okay, now weve got that over and done with, here are my problems (on a
RedHat 5 system):

1. When I start Fvwm2 (Ive tried it many ways manually  from xinit
and automatically from startx initialization files), I have to click
both my left and right mouse button in a blank space of the black and
white spotted screen before it loads (the equivalent of pressing the
middle mouse button).  I use a Micro$oft serial mouse and dont want to
replace it with a three-button mouse, so if anyone has any way of fixing
my problem, that would be helpful.
2. Also with my mouse, some menus dont work properly.  I go up, click
on the menu and the menu appears, but I cant select anything from it.
These are the boxed menus (like in xman and xbill).  This may relate to
the above question, so can anyone help me here either?
3. Lastly, my Linux partition is too small.  I have about 500mb of free
(unused partition) space that Id like to have inhabited by my current
Linux partition.  I already have 4 partitions on my hard drive, so I
dont want to have to mess about with getting a fifth one if possible.
I have partition magic for dos if anyone thinks that would help.  I know
I can backup my system and reinstall, but that is too much hassle.  Can
anyone help me here/

Thanks for reading this and hope you can help with any one of these.
Please reply by e-mail to the above mentioned address.

Brett Randall.

2. Q: Mail-Configuration (Solaris 2.5)

3. Mouse Systems PC Mouse 3D/6D Bus Mouse driver?

4. Using Linux as a Public Access Unix Site.

5. CDE & MOUSE: *must* disable "pasting" via-mouse (GD MFing ShEing MOUSE!)

6. SM56 problem

7. Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!

8. tee -a cannot capture all of the output inside a script?

9. gpm & x mouse errors.....Invalid argument?

10. Kernel Link Error after mkdev mouse

11. error in autogen'ed /etc/sysconfig/mouse file

12. Error when mouse un-plugged

13. gpm error: invalid argument /dev/mouse