Changing Kernel - what am I doing wrong?

Changing Kernel - what am I doing wrong?

Post by Ronan Murp » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi I'm a new Linux user and I was messing around with the Kernel trying
to set up sound and other stuff. I've got an ESS688 (SB clone) and I'm
running Redhat 4.1, (using lilo off a floppy).

So, basicly, I did 'make menuconfig', turned on sound support and turned
on Sound Blaster with the proper irq etc.  Then I came out and did a
make dep ; make clean ; make zlilo.  I then rebooted and I got the
message 'Read: No space left on device.'  on my login prompt.

I ran rundoom - to test the sound :).
Of course the whole machine crashed.  After a while I read the
Sound-HOWTO.  And it said to run a script to set up the sound device
files (section 4.3).  So I did that, although, I think Redhat had them
setup already.  I rebooted the machine and did a dmesg to see if the
soundcard came up - which it didn't.  cat /dev/sndstat gave the message
file not found (or similar).

In the troubleshooting section of the HOWTO (4.5) it said type uname -a
or /proc/version to see the date stamp of the kernel - December.  It
gave three reasons why this might happen:
 Did you really reboot?
 If you use LILO, did you re-install it
 If booting from floppy, did you create a new boot floppy and use it
  when booting?

I thought I had forgotten to re-install LILO - I ran /sbin/lilo but that
didn't make a difference and I read the lilo man pages.  I read the lilo
README and I realised I had actually run zlilo when I was recompiling.
So after all that, what am I doing wrong?

--
//Ronan Murphy                             .::7777::-.
   Crunchy on the outside.                /:'////' `::>/|/

Changing Kernel - what am I doing wrong?

Post by Bish » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi I'm a new Linux user and I was messing around with the Kernel trying
>to set up sound and other stuff. I've got an ESS688 (SB clone) and I'm
>running Redhat 4.1, (using lilo off a floppy).

>So, basicly, I did 'make menuconfig', turned on sound support and turned
>on Sound Blaster with the proper irq etc.  Then I came out and did a
>make dep ; make clean ; make zlilo.  I then rebooted and I got the
>message 'Read: No space left on device.'  on my login prompt.

i think i had a similar problem a while back.  it might be that your
swapfile isn't turned on.  type 'free' to see if you swapfile is
turned on.  just because you turned it on during installation doesn't
mean it's on now.  you can turn it on during bootup by adding an entry
in /etc/fstab as well.  or just type the command 'swapon
/dev/hdwhatever' before recompiling the kernel.

Bishop.

Post by Ronan Murp » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>>Hi I'm a new Linux user and I was messing around with the Kernel trying
>>to set up sound and other stuff. I've got an ESS688 (SB clone) and I'm
>>running Redhat 4.1, (using lilo off a floppy).

>>So, basicly, I did 'make menuconfig', turned on sound support and turned
>>on Sound Blaster with the proper irq etc.  Then I came out and did a
>>make dep ; make clean ; make zlilo.  I then rebooted and I got the
>>message 'Read: No space left on device.'  on my login prompt.

>i think i had a similar problem a while back.  it might be that your
>swapfile isn't turned on.  type 'free' to see if you swapfile is

Thanks, I think I may be running out of space on one of my partitions,
although I have no idea how I would find out which one, or how much
space I actually have left.

I have gotten sound to work, kinda.  vmlinuz was being created in / yet
lilo.conf was using the one in /boot.  I'm now getting lots of errors
about modules?

Slan
 Ronan

Changing Kernel - what am I doing wrong?

Post by Jeffrey P. Lan » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Use the "df" command to find out how much free space each of your
partitions contains.

-Jeff

>>>Hi I'm a new Linux user and I was messing around with the Kernel trying
>>>to set up sound and other stuff. I've got an ESS688 (SB clone) and I'm
>>>running Redhat 4.1, (using lilo off a floppy).

>>>So, basicly, I did 'make menuconfig', turned on sound support and turned
>>>on Sound Blaster with the proper irq etc.  Then I came out and did a
>>>make dep ; make clean ; make zlilo.  I then rebooted and I got the
>>>message 'Read: No space left on device.'  on my login prompt.

>>i think i had a similar problem a while back.  it might be that your
>>swapfile isn't turned on.  type 'free' to see if you swapfile is

>Thanks, I think I may be running out of space on one of my partitions,
>although I have no idea how I would find out which one, or how much
>space I actually have left.

>I have gotten sound to work, kinda.  vmlinuz was being created in / yet
>lilo.conf was using the one in /boot.  I'm now getting lots of errors
>about modules?

>Slan
> Ronan

Computer Science Department             Fast Ethernet Consortium
Engineering and Physical Sciences       InterOperability Lab
University of New Hampshire             http://www.iol.unh.edu

1. Kernel compile error...what am I doing wrong?

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I tried to compile a new (2.3.10) kernel on my P3-500,
when the error

fs/filesystems.a(fat.o): In function 'fat_file_write':
fat.o(.text+0x261e): undefined reference to 'update_vm_cache'.
make: ***[vmlinux] Error 1

showed up.

I was trying to compile the kernel with (v)fat support, because I'd like
to transfer files from/to my fat32 partitions.

After I got this error I tried to compile fat.o as a module (maybe
stupid, but I'm just a newbie), but when I tried to load the module the
same 'update_vm_cache' error showed up.

Since that didn't work either, I downloaded another source (2.3.9), but
it gave me exactly the same error.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Greetings,
W. den Boer

2. Memory-problem on Compaq Prolinea

3. Dual Homed Linux - what am I doing wrong?

4. UNIX bench better on 2.2 than 2.4?

5. Am I doing something wrong?? - (SAMBA)

6. SCSI card error with Dell Poweredge 2200

7. One more question - What am I doing wrong?

8. Cant get bootblock written

9. KNode (No Caching) - What am I doing no wrong

10. gethostbyname misbehavior - what am i doing wrong.

11. What am I doing wrong?????

12. Ip-Masquerade and games over the net...what am I doing wrong????????

13. What I am doing wrong?