Fatal server error... cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

Fatal server error... cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

Post by Dafyd » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've been asking around on various newsgroups (and sending futile
e-mails to Caldera tech support), but nobody has responded about this.
I have a bunch of Linux books and one KDE book, but none gives me a clue
what's wrong.  Help!

In a nutshell, suddenly, as of yesterday (Sunday), I cannot get my KDE
(or even X Windows) to come up anymore, and I have no clue why.

The boot starts with the normal Caldera OpenLinux graphical boot screen,
but as soon as the kernel starts, the system switches to runlevel 3 (but
it seems to be running /behind/ the Caldera graphic boot screen, if that
makes any sense; I can't see the boot process).  At the end, I get a
text login prompt.

After logging in, if I type startx, it responds with a linefeed but
doesn't do anything.  If I type kde, I get a long list of screen output
that ends with:

   Fatal server error:
   xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

   X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

(It also writes that to .Xsession-errors in, I think, the /etc/X11/xinit
directory.)

I have no idea what's broken or how to fix it.  This problem occurred
after I installed the quake2 rpm and ran Quake II; when I tried to quit
from the game, my screen went totally blank.  I couldn't regain control,
so I did a hard reboot... and after that, I couldn't get into KDE or
even X-Windows.

(I don't know if this is related... but when the system boots now,
dumping me into the text-based, multiuser runlevel, it runs down to the
bottom of the screen as I enter commands, then sticks there instead of
scrolling.  That is, when I reach the bottom, if I type a command, it
just overwrites whatever was displayed at the bottom of the screen, and
the output from the command just sends each line to the bottom,
overwriting the previous line of output.  This continues until I open vi
and close it; then I have a normally scrolling screen, but it still
won't go into X or KDE.)

I checked, and there is indeed no directory or file in /dev called
tty0.  However, in the /dev directory, console is linked to tty0:  when
I type "readlink console", the system returns "tty0", and when I do an
ls -l, the listing for console starts "lrwxrwxrwx" and ends "console -->
tty0".  But I don't know if it was always like that, or if this is
something that was changed between Saturday and Sunday by that stupid
rpm.

Please, can any help?  I don't want to have to reinstall my entire
system and lose the whole StarOffice 50 setup, my Netscape
configuration, and so forth!
--

               Dafydd ab Hugh

Fatal server error... cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

Post by Dafyd » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Oops, should have mentioned, this is on Caldera OpenLinux 2.2.
--

               Dafydd ab Hugh

1. Problem starting X (Cannot open /dev/tty0)

Hi friends,
I get this error when I run startx or xinit:

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

When reporting...

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.

xinit: Conection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error

---------------
How can I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Marco.

2. leafnode problems (esp. with Netscape)

3. Cannot open /dev/tty0 ??

4. FreeBSD booting with win98

5. Problem starting X (Cannot open /dev/tty0)

6. Linux on Atari Mega ST4

7. Fatal error: (vTcl interp) Server cannot open Display ega

8. FreeBSD 4.3 LDAP Authentication BIND IRS

9. Fatal server error: cannot open mouse

10. Fatal server error: Cannot open mouse (Operation not supported by device)

11. minicom: cannot open /dev/usb/tts/0: No such file or directory

12. /dev/tty0: no such file or directory