Redhat 5.1 post installation troubles

Post by Aaron Saikovsk » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am having some problems with Redhat 5.1.
I have done a fresh install onto a machine with two scsi CDROM drives, one
is a burner.
When I go onto X and try to access the available packages via the control
panel, the cdrom gets read until about 90% then it gives my some strange
python.h error or something like that.
It then dies :-(
Has anyone had any similar problems?

Regards,
Aaron Saikovski

Redhat 5.1 post installation troubles

Post by Randy Olinge » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

There is a known bug in Glint.  the fix is available at www.redhat.com

Randy

Quote:>When I go onto X and try to access the available packages via the control

Post by Bob Dilwort » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I am having some problems with Redhat 5.1.
> I have done a fresh install onto a machine with two scsi CDROM drives, one
> is a burner.
> When I go onto X and try to access the available packages via the control
> panel, the cdrom gets read until about 90% then it gives my some strange
> python.h error or something like that.
> It then dies :-(
> Has anyone had any similar problems?

Aaron:

I had the same problem.  Turns out that the problem is a bad version of glint
in the 5.1 distribution.  To fix it you'll need to go to the RedHat website,
find the updates section and download (via ftp) the latest version of glint.
I can't remember the most current version available via the updates section of
the web site but downloading it and installing it will fix the problem.

There's a similar problem with BRU2000.  To fix that you'll need to go to the
BRU website FAQ support page (http://www.estinc.com/FAQ-2.html) and follow the
instructions to download a more recent version of glibc.

It's weird but everytime I upgrade to a more recent version of RedHat I always
end up doing a lot of tinkering to get the darn thing to work.  To be fair,
I've never had problems with the Linux kernel, it's been the packages that
give me grief.  I've never had ANY problems with Slackware, but then you don't
get the "easy" upgrade-ability you get with RedHat (not??).

Good Lucque!!!

Bob Dilworth
Medical College of Ohio
Toledo, Ohio

Post by j.. » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> There is a known bug in Glint.  the fix is available at www.redhat.com

>If you have KDE, kpackage (from http://www.kde.org) works very well and
>does much much more than glint attempts.

        Or you can just set up some file manager such as dfm to
        run rpm on such files when you select them with the browser...

        Or you can just run rpm yourself...

--
Unix had  startmenus and tasbars before Microsoft          |||
even had a decent memory manager for DOS.                 / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Quote:> There is a known bug in Glint.  the fix is available at www.redhat.com

If you have KDE, kpackage (from http://www.kde.org) works very well and
does much much more than glint attempts.

 ----
 Ron.
 Using Virtual Access

1. Redhat 5.1 Installation Troubles

I have DL'd the Redhat 5.1 distribution from the Web, and I am trying to
install it on my DEC Alpha 500.  I think my MB is an LX, but I'm not
sure.  It's model number is 21A04-B0.  The chip is the PC (NT) version
of the Alpha 500 chip, and Windows NT 4.0 runs fine.

Here's my problem.  During the install, everything seems to be going
fine.  I followed the instructions for setting up MILO (included in the
download).  The machine starts, sets some memory properties, reboots,
starts to load ok, and just when it finishes unpacking (unzipping?) the
lx164.gz, the monitor goes out of range and I can't see what's
happening.  I tried both an S3 and a Cirrus Logic video card, and both
did the same thing.

I assume that I have something wrong in my setup, but I don't know how
to find out.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any ideas that you may have.

Dan Katzenberger
remove the spambait in my return address to reply directly.

2. 3rd try: Problem moving to ELF - No such file or directory &#!%^*

3. Trouble w/Multia (UDB) RH 5.1 installation

4. Samba Installation ??? At Solaris??

5. post-install boot failure (redhat 5.1 on a Multia)

6. Installing Linux on drives > 500MB w/drive boot software

7. Redhat 5.1 & PnP trouble

8. WTT: My SGI machine for a RS/6000 (Germany)

9. RedHat 5.1 and AlphaServer 1000 4/200 troubles

10. Trouble installing RedHat 5.1

11. Trouble PPPing on RedHat 5.1 with my ISP

12. AWE-64 & RedHat 5.1 trouble

13. Trouble with Redhat 5.1 install