newbie question

Post by Arun Keswan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I recently acquired cable modem service. I use both Linux and Windows on
my machine
but the cable company does not support their product for Linux. I
proceeded to try
and setup the networking options under Linux. I put in all the
information about
ip addresses, gateways, dns (primary), dns(secondary), netmask etc, but
i cannot get
my machine to see the network.

I tried using ifconfig, but when I use this option, it tells me that the
device
eth0 is not found. Does this mean that Linux (Redhat 6.0) is not
recognizing
my Ethernet card or that I have specified some settings incorrectly. Any
help
would be greatly appreciated.

a.

newbie question

Post by Stephen J Howar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yup it means the kernel has not recognised your ethernet card. What type is
it? You could then run control-panel and manually insert the kernel module
for the card, then al should be well.

Cheers,

Steve

Quote:> I recently acquired cable modem service. I use both Linux and Windows on
> my machine
> but the cable company does not support their product for Linux. I
> proceeded to try
> and setup the networking options under Linux. I put in all the
> information about
> ip addresses, gateways, dns (primary), dns(secondary), netmask etc, but
> i cannot get
> my machine to see the network.

> I tried using ifconfig, but when I use this option, it tells me that the
> device
> eth0 is not found. Does this mean that Linux (Redhat 6.0) is not
> recognizing
> my Ethernet card or that I have specified some settings incorrectly. Any
> help
> would be greatly appreciated.

> a.

newbie question

Post by Ray » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Yup it means the kernel has not recognised your ethernet card. What type is
> it? You could then run control-panel and manually insert the kernel module
> for the card, then al should be well.

> Cheers,

> Steve

> > I recently acquired cable modem service. I use both Linux and Windows on
> > my machine
> > but the cable company does not support their product for Linux. I
> > proceeded to try
> > and setup the networking options under Linux. I put in all the
> > information about
> > ip addresses, gateways, dns (primary), dns(secondary), netmask etc, but
> > i cannot get
> > my machine to see the network.

> > I tried using ifconfig, but when I use this option, it tells me that the
> > device
> > eth0 is not found. Does this mean that Linux (Redhat 6.0) is not
> > recognizing
> > my Ethernet card or that I have specified some settings incorrectly. Any
> > help
> > would be greatly appreciated.

> > a.

        Also, Let us know what cable service, RoadRunner is a snap, as there is
no login process. It is DHCP, as are most, and you better see "pump" in
a ps ax after you get eth0 fired up.
--
Raymond R. Jones
The Computer Shop

newbie question

Post by Arun Keswan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the prompt replies. I am new to Linux. I have worked on the
AIX platform, so I am getting used to the Linux commands. The ethernet
card sold under the name of ASIX Electronics, but the driver disk comes
from some F=ma corporation in Taiwan. At any rate it is a GFC2204
10/100 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter with RJ 45 Connector.  The driver
disk contains a Linux folder ,with the following files in it. ;
Ax88140.c     C source file
Crc.h             C header file
Readme.

I will attached the contents of the readme at the end of this message.
I guess there are a couple of things that I don't understand. If the disk
is DOS compatible, how should I get the file from my DOS partition
to my linux partition, and will it be readable in Linux ? The service

I have to admit, I am not sure how to add a kernel module for the card.
The card does use DHCP for Wins resolution undert 98, but I am not
sure exactly what that is . As you can see this is a real newbie question.

It is DHCP, as are most, and you better see "pump" in
a ps ax after you get eth0 fired up.

Thanks for all your help.

Arun

=========================
Linux Driver Installation
=========================

The GFC2204 driver is included in newer 2.0.3x kernels,
the driver name is "DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x)".

If you don't have a proper version of tulip.c,
the procedure to install this driver on linux:

  step 1: compile:
           "gcc -DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DAX88140_DEBUG=0 -m486
           -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall -Wredundant-decls
           -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c ax88140.c"

           run this instruction at /usr/src/linux, make sure
           you have gcc and full kernel includes installed.
           ignore any warnings, they are common in kernel code,
           if any errors occur, remove the '-DMODVERSIONS' option,
           then try again, if you still can't compile it correctly,
           your kernel version is incompatible with this driver.

  step 2: insert the driver as module:
           insmod ax88140.o
           parameter can be added by adding options=..... behind the instruction

        (run 'lsmod' to see if the module is inserted)

  step 3: bind your card to an IP address

     /sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}
        (run 'netstat -i' to see if there is a interface 'ne0')

  step 4: add your card to IP routing table, then add gateway also
     your card:
           /sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} eth0
           (should be able to ping local network now)
     gateway:
           /sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

  step 5: start inet deamon.
           /usr/sbin/inetd
           (you are on the network now)

*make sure that your kernel is built with network, fast_ethernet and module
 support. Otherwise, you have to rebuild your kernel.
        (1:go to /usr/src/linux directory
         2:run 'make menuconfig' or 'make config'
         3:mark the options list above.
         4:exit and rebuild your kernel.
            make dep;make clean;make zImage
           the file 'zImage' will be at /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage
         5:modify /etc/lilo.conf.(this file specify where kernel image is)
         6:run 'lilo'  )

You can run 'netconfig' which will do step 3,4,5 for you. This will create
'/etc/rc.d/inet1' and 'inet2' files. These two files will run at boot time.
Then just add a line at the beginning of 'inet1'.
        'insmod /your driver path/ax88140.o'

then your driver will work every time you boot.

> > Yup it means the kernel has not recognised your ethernet card. What type is
> > it? You could then run control-panel and manually insert the kernel module
> > for the card, then al should be well.

> > Cheers,

> > Steve

> > > I recently acquired cable modem service. I use both Linux and Windows on
> > > my machine
> > > but the cable company does not support their product for Linux. I
> > > proceeded to try
> > > and setup the networking options under Linux. I put in all the
> > > information about
> > > ip addresses, gateways, dns (primary), dns(secondary), netmask etc, but
> > > i cannot get
> > > my machine to see the network.

> > > I tried using ifconfig, but when I use this option, it tells me that the
> > > device
> > > eth0 is not found. Does this mean that Linux (Redhat 6.0) is not
> > > recognizing
> > > my Ethernet card or that I have specified some settings incorrectly. Any
> > > help
> > > would be greatly appreciated.

> > > a.

>         Also, Let us know what cable service, RoadRunner is a snap, as there is
> no login process. It is DHCP, as are most, and you better see "pump" in
> a ps ax after you get eth0 fired up.
> --
> Raymond R. Jones
> The Computer Shop
> HTTP://GORDO.PENGUINPOWERED.COM

newbie question

Post by Arun Keswan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I forgot to mention that I am using Redhat 6.0

a.

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I recently acquired cable modem service. I use both Linux and Windows on
> my machine
> but the cable company does not support their product for Linux. I
> proceeded to try
> and setup the networking options under Linux. I put in all the
> information about
> ip addresses, gateways, dns (primary), dns(secondary), netmask etc, but
> i cannot get
> my machine to see the network.

> I tried using ifconfig, but when I use this option, it tells me that the
> device
> eth0 is not found. Does this mean that Linux (Redhat 6.0) is not
> recognizing
> my Ethernet card or that I have specified some settings incorrectly. Any
> help
> would be greatly appreciated.

> a.

From what you say, it sounds as if they are providing you
with a static IP address.  Are you sure that is the case and
that you aren't supposed to be using DHCP?

Be that as it may, your first problem is that you haven't
identified which module to use for your ethernet card.
When you do, you need to put a line of the following type
in your /etc/conf.modules file
alias eth0  XXXXX
where XXXXX.o would be the module for your card.  The modules
are listed in
/lib/modules/2.2.????/net
where ???? is the rest of the name of your kernel.  (See /boot.)
You can find out which module works for some cards at
www.redhat.com/support/hardware/
For more extensive information try
cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers

newbie question

Post by Arun Keswan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Leonard,

Thanks for the input. It turns out that they have given me an IP address,
so I thought it was static, but when the person setting up the cable modem
came in, he did not put in an IP address, not a subnet mast etc, but he
did check the box that says Use DHCP for Wins . This is under Windows
of course. So I am really confused now. It seems that they have assigned
me an IP address, but they want me to use DHCP. Does that make any
sense. It does not to me . Maybe it is for consistency, so that they do not

not support Linux, so I cannot get any help from them. I will try what you
said and let you know what happens.

A.

newbie question

Post by Hugh Laws » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Leonard,

>Thanks for the input. It turns out that they have given me an IP address,
>so I thought it was static, but when the person setting up the cable modem
>came in, he did not put in an IP address, not a subnet mast etc, but he
>did check the box that says Use DHCP for Wins . This is under Windows
>of course. So I am really confused now. It seems that they have assigned
>me an IP address, but they want me to use DHCP. Does that make any
>sense. It does not to me . Maybe it is for consistency, so that they do not

>not support Linux, so I cannot get any help from them. I will try what you
>said and let you know what happens.

I don't know about your isp.  I have a cable modem with RoadRunner.  The
cable company installed the hardware and the Win95 software.  I did the
Linux by guesswork:

Step 1.  insmod the kernel module for my NIC
Step 2.  start the dhcp client for RH 6.1, thats "pump"

That was it.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

newbie question

Post by Chetan Ahuj » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

  OK... From the readme file, it seems they are using a tulip
  compatible chip. That make thigs easy.
    As root, just try to type "insmod tulip" If there are no error
  messages, type "ifconfig". See if you have an eth0 now. If yes,
  Wonderful, you don't need to compile anything. You have a driver for
  you card. To make this module load up at startup, enter the
  following in your /etc/conf.modules ( or is it /etc/modules.conf

    alias eth0 tulip

   All you need to do now is to setup a DHCP client to run at startup
   which will contact the cable companies' DHCP server and get you an
   IP address etc. I don't use DHCP myself but under redhat, the
   procedure is likely to be as follows:

   1.Install the pump package from the CD ( it would be in the form of
     a pump-????.rpm (or maybe dhcpd.rpm.) file and the command to
     install is   rpm -ivh pump-???.rpm)  If both dhcpd and pump
     exist, you have to install just one of them.

   2. Read the man page for pump and see whether you need to setup any
      configuration parameters in some file... ( ideally you shouldn't
      have to)

   3. Run the ntsysv command through which you can choose dhcp
      service to start at startup. But you don't have to reboot for it
      to start working ( this is not windows) You can just go to
      /etc/rc.d/init.d and find the shell script which corresponds to
      the DHCP client ( it would be named pump or dhcp or somthing)
      just run it with the arguement start. i.e. type:

            ./pump start

     That should more or less be it. Maybe somebody who uses DHCP can
     guide you further. Of course you have to do all this as root.

     Chetan

>>> ad...@gordo.penguinpowered.com

newbie question

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>   OK... From the readme file, it seems they are using a tulip
>   compatible chip. That make thigs easy.
>     As root, just try to type "insmod tulip" If there are no error
>   messages, type "ifconfig". See if you have an eth0 now. If yes,
>   Wonderful, you don't need to compile anything. You have a driver for
>   you card. To make this module load up at startup, enter the
>   following in your /etc/conf.modules ( or is it /etc/modules.conf

>     alias eth0 tulip

>    All you need to do now is to setup a DHCP client to run at startup
>    which will contact the cable companies' DHCP server and get you an
>    IP address etc. I don't use DHCP myself but under redhat, the
>    procedure is likely to be as follows:

>    1.Install the pump package from the CD ( it would be in the form of
>      a pump-????.rpm (or maybe dhcpd.rpm.) file and the command to
>      install is   rpm -ivh pump-???.rpm)  If both dhcpd and pump
>      exist, you have to install just one of them.

>    2. Read the man page for pump and see whether you need to setup any
>       configuration parameters in some file... ( ideally you shouldn't
>       have to)

>    3. Run the ntsysv command through which you can choose dhcp
>       service to start at startup. But you don't have to reboot for it
>       to start working ( this is not windows) You can just go to
>       /etc/rc.d/init.d and find the shell script which corresponds to
>       the DHCP client ( it would be named pump or dhcp or somthing)
>       just run it with the arguement start. i.e. type:

>             ./pump start

It should be
./network restart
There is no pump in /etc/rc.d/init.d

newbie question

Post by Arun Keswan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Just to update everyone on what is going on. I tried most everything that
everyone
suggested. I started out by going into linuxconf. I set up the eth0 adapter
using the dhcp option and specified tulip as the module. This added a line
to the conf.modules file in /etc automatically. I then tried ifconfig, but
nothing
came up. When I am in the control-panel the eth0 shows up but it is inactive.
When
I try to activate it , it just tried to obtain an ip address for a while, during
which
time if you type "ifconfig" the card shows up. But then it gives up "Operation
failed"
and the card is no longer seen if you type ifconfig.

Now I am not too sure what is going on. I tried to compile the driver that I
got with the card, but I suspect that it was designed for an earlier kernel.
At any rate it fails giving me various errors about arguments not being the
correct number. I had a look at the code, but could not decipher anything.
Something to do with pointers. So that was a no go.

I am willing to take suggestions here. Do you folks think that the card is being

recognized or that the driver is the right one, after all the card does show
up in the control panel  ? Or is it a problem with the DHCP. Incidentally,
as you may have gathered from the previous postings, this is a strange case,
because the tech who set up the service, used DHCP in windows , but

etc. So I am not completely sure if I should DHCP or static. I have tried the
static settings to no avail too. Incidentally the DHCP works under windows.

So I am wondering should I throw the noname card out the window and buy
something more conventional ? Your ideas, suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

A.

> [...]

correct number. I had a look at the code, but could not decipher anything.
Something to do with pointers. So that was a no go.

I am willing to take suggestions here. Do you folks think that the card is
being

recognized or that the driver is the right one, after all the card does show

up in the control panel  ? Or is it a problem with the DHCP. Incidentally,
as you may have gathered from the previous postings, this is a strange case,

because the tech who set up the service, used DHCP in windows , but

etc. So I am not completely sure if I should DHCP or static. I have tried
the
static settings to no avail too. Incidentally the DHCP works under windows.

So I am wondering should I throw the noname card out the window and buy
something more conventional ? Your ideas, suggestions would be greatly

Post by patrick.them.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Just to update everyone on what is going on. I tried most everything
that
> everyone
> suggested. I started out by going into linuxconf. I set up the eth0
adapter
> using the dhcp option and specified tulip as the module. This added a
line
> to the conf.modules file in /etc automatically. I then tried ifconfig,
but
> nothing
> came up.

the first thing, me thinks, would be to find out which card you're using
and which driver you need.

since win seems to recognize your card,
have a look at that,
and maybe post here which card win uses.

then maybe someone is able to point out which module to use.
the module, anyway, needs to be compiled for your kernel -
so either you get one with your kernel sources in the distribution or
you compile it.

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

newbie question

Post by n.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Compile the file tuplip.c specifically with your system and drop the
o file into the appropriate place (I forgot the path, sorry).

Nina

>> Just to update everyone on what is going on. I tried most everything
>that
>> everyone
>> suggested. I started out by going into linuxconf. I set up the eth0
>adapter
>> using the dhcp option and specified tulip as the module. This added a
>line
>> to the conf.modules file in /etc automatically. I then tried ifconfig,
>but
>> nothing
>> came up.

>the first thing, me thinks, would be to find out which card you're using
>and which driver you need.

>since win seems to recognize your card,
>have a look at that,
>and maybe post here which card win uses.

>then maybe someone is able to point out which module to use.
>the module, anyway, needs to be compiled for your kernel -
>so either you get one with your kernel sources in the distribution or
>you compile it.

>--
>'...' said the joker to the thief
>'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...
>so let us not talk falsely now, the hour's getting late'

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

1. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
my system I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the dumb question.

Nick
--

Nick Smeltzer CNE

2. Samba Linux and SCO VisionFS

3. linux newbie--newbie question follows

4. voice-0.5 answering machine

5. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

6. Sick sendmail on Solaris 2.3

7. NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

8. Dump and Cpio for backups

9. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

10. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

11. Netscape configuration question; newbie question.

12. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

13. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.