Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Post by Eric Hardwi » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00



Hi,
        Has anybody ever had problems booting Linux after exiting
Windows 95 on a dual boot system using LILO?

I had a perfectly working dual boot system (Debian 2.0 / Win95) a few
days ago but after I installed a US Robotics 56k Plug N Play external
modem under Linux and then Win95 (both without problems) I couldn't
boot Linux off the hard-drive when the last boot-up was to Windows
95...

I don't think LILO is really failing since I get almost all the way
through the boot sequence before the computer simply resets itself
(like someone pushed the Reset switch) at the 'Loading vfat' line and
I am left watching the BIOS bootup screens.

So the order of events is like this:
1. Turn on machine; Get LILO boot: prompt.
2. Choose Windows 95; Win95 boots correctly.
3. Shut down Win95; Reboot machine; Get LILO boot: prompt.
4. Choose Linux; Watch boot messages (gets past HDD detection,
mounting drives, fsck)
5. Machine reboots itself when loadable modules line is displayed
(Loading vfat...), right after vfat item is displayed.
6. Insert Linux bootable floppy made during inital installation.
7. Boot again; No LILO prompt (from hard-drive).
8. Boot correctly all the way.
9. Reinstall LILO; Reboot machine; Get LILO prompt.
10. Choose Linux; Boot correctly all the way.

This is so strange since this system worked perfectly before I
installed the 56k modem, which works great under both OS's! Why would
re-installing LILO fix the Loading vfat module problem? What does a
modem have to do with LILO?

Please give me any advice you can, I am losing my mind...

Thanks in advance,
Eric Hardwick

 
 
 

Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Post by removethi » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00




>This is so strange since this system worked perfectly before I
>installed the 56k modem, which works great under both OS's! Why would
>re-installing LILO fix the Loading vfat module problem? What does a
>modem have to do with LILO?

Try disconnecting the modem and see if the problem goes away. If it
does, then we can be sure the modem is the culprit, and my guess is
the modem is using system resources that may conflict with whatever
Linux is trying to use. Of course I have no clue how an external
device can cause such a conflict. Try moving the modem to a different
COM port.

Also, with PnP modem, the usual advice is to turn off PnP support.

Good luck!

Choon-Cheng Chee
=========================
chee at mail-me dot com
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
=========================
* Watch my return address! Editing required !*

 
 
 

Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Post by Shadl » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00


It sounds like the port configuration is different in win than in linux.
With this modem, you may have to power the computer off, then back on before
you can switch. I have had to do this before.

I would suspect the port/boot combo problem, not the modem.


>Hi,
> Has anybody ever had problems booting Linux after exiting
>Windows 95 on a dual boot system using LILO?

>I had a perfectly working dual boot system (Debian 2.0 / Win95) a few
>days ago but after I installed a US Robotics 56k Plug N Play external
>modem under Linux and then Win95 (both without problems) I couldn't
>boot Linux off the hard-drive when the last boot-up was to Windows
>95...

>I don't think LILO is really failing since I get almost all the way
>through the boot sequence before the computer simply resets itself
>(like someone pushed the Reset switch) at the 'Loading vfat' line and
>I am left watching the BIOS bootup screens.

>So the order of events is like this:
>1. Turn on machine; Get LILO boot: prompt.
>2. Choose Windows 95; Win95 boots correctly.
>3. Shut down Win95; Reboot machine; Get LILO boot: prompt.
>4. Choose Linux; Watch boot messages (gets past HDD detection,
>mounting drives, fsck)
>5. Machine reboots itself when loadable modules line is displayed
>(Loading vfat...), right after vfat item is displayed.
>6. Insert Linux bootable floppy made during inital installation.
>7. Boot again; No LILO prompt (from hard-drive).
>8. Boot correctly all the way.
>9. Reinstall LILO; Reboot machine; Get LILO prompt.
>10. Choose Linux; Boot correctly all the way.

>This is so strange since this system worked perfectly before I
>installed the 56k modem, which works great under both OS's! Why would
>re-installing LILO fix the Loading vfat module problem? What does a
>modem have to do with LILO?

>Please give me any advice you can, I am losing my mind...

>Thanks in advance,
>Eric Hardwick


 
 
 

Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Post by Eric Hardwi » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>It sounds like the port configuration is different in win than in linux.
>With this modem, you may have to power the computer off, then back on before
>you can switch. I have had to do this before.

>I would suspect the port/boot combo problem, not the modem.

Unfortunately that didn't make a difference, thanks though...

Things I have tried: (That didn't work)
1. Uninstall modem under Win95 (remove device from System panel in
Control Panel.
2. Turn modem off/disconnect modem when booting.
3. Turn computer off before re-booting into Linux.
4. Set my PNP setting in my BIOS to say 'I *don't* have a PNP
operating system.
5. Set my PNP setting in my BIOS to say 'I *do* have a PNP operating
system.

BTW, In the boot-up messages, the line that causes the problem says
'Loading vfat lp lp0' ..??? (can't remember what else)

What is lp and lp0? Are they the port drivers? Maybe they are *
the boot-up, not vfat?

Thanks for any help,

Eric Hardwick

 
 
 

Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Post by Eric Hardwi » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>Is your Win95 partition FAT or FAT32?  There is a known bug in Linux (as
>of 2.0.36) which *may* cause the kernel to crash if you mount a defective
>filesystem.  To the FAT12/16 code, a FAT32 filesystem *is* defective.
>Next time you get a successful Linux boot, edit the fstab file so that the
>Win95 filesystem does not auto-mount.  You may find that this cures the
>problem.

Yes it is FAT32. I just tried your suggestion. It seemed to work the
first time I booted win95 and then Linux. Linux booted correctly all
the way through. So I tried it again...Booted windows then Linux. No
go. Same problem. One thing was different the first time, might mean
nothing. I used 'rmmod' to unload the vfat module, then rebooted into
windows, then Linux. This worked. Another round of reboots and Linux
*doesn't* boot. I don't really think this is the cause but can someone
tell me how to prevent the vfat module from loading during boot up? Is
it a config file I need to edit?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eric Hardwick

 
 
 

Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Post by Chetan Ahu » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00


: >Is your Win95 partition FAT or FAT32?  There is a known bug in Linux (as
: >of 2.0.36) which *may* cause the kernel to crash if you mount a defective
: >filesystem.  To the FAT12/16 code, a FAT32 filesystem *is* defective.
: >Next time you get a successful Linux boot, edit the fstab file so that the
: >Win95 filesystem does not auto-mount.  You may find that this cures the
: >problem.
: >

: Yes it is FAT32. I just tried your suggestion. It seemed to work the
: first time I booted win95 and then Linux. Linux booted correctly all
: the way through. So I tried it again...Booted windows then Linux. No
: go. Same problem. One thing was different the first time, might mean
: nothing. I used 'rmmod' to unload the vfat module, then rebooted into
: windows, then Linux. This worked. Another round of reboots and Linux
: *doesn't* boot. I don't really think this is the cause but can someone
: tell me how to prevent the vfat module from loading during boot up? Is
: it a config file I need to edit?

   Yes.. the file you need to edit is /etc/fstab  
      just remove the line that is mounting the win95 partition... or
you can make the fourth field ( the one after vfat)  read 'noauto'
(without the quotes) That means not to mount the file system automatically...
  Chetan

: Thanks for the suggestions.

: Eric Hardwick

--

 
 
 

Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Post by Eric Hardwi » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00





>: >Is your Win95 partition FAT or FAT32?  There is a known bug in Linux (as
>: >of 2.0.36) which *may* cause the kernel to crash if you mount a defective
>: >filesystem.  To the FAT12/16 code, a FAT32 filesystem *is* defective.
>: >Next time you get a successful Linux boot, edit the fstab file so that the
>: >Win95 filesystem does not auto-mount.  You may find that this cures the
>: >problem.
>: >

>: Yes it is FAT32. I just tried your suggestion. It seemed to work the
>: first time I booted win95 and then Linux. Linux booted correctly all
>: the way through. So I tried it again...Booted windows then Linux. No
>: go. Same problem. One thing was different the first time, might mean
>: nothing. I used 'rmmod' to unload the vfat module, then rebooted into
>: windows, then Linux. This worked. Another round of reboots and Linux
>: *doesn't* boot. I don't really think this is the cause but can someone
>: tell me how to prevent the vfat module from loading during boot up? Is
>: it a config file I need to edit?

>   Yes.. the file you need to edit is /etc/fstab  
>      just remove the line that is mounting the win95 partition... or
>you can make the fourth field ( the one after vfat)  read 'noauto'
>(without the quotes) That means not to mount the file system automatically...
>  Chetan

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I mean how do I remove the vfat loadable module
from the bootup process, it's the line that says

Loading vfat lp lp0 ...

and so on.

I already removed the /etc/fstab lines that mounted my win95
partitions. I had set that up to be noauto anyway so that wasn't the
problem.

I assume the vfat module is 'vfat.o'? Maybe I should do a grep on my
/etc dir for that string...

I chose support for vfat during the installation of Debian 2.0. Maybe
it recompiled the kernel during the installation? (does that happen?)

Oh well, thanks for the advice none the less.

Eric Hardwick

 
 
 

Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Post by Phoeni » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00




> >Is your Win95 partition FAT or FAT32?  There is a known bug in Linux (as
> >of 2.0.36) which *may* cause the kernel to crash if you mount a defective
> >filesystem.  To the FAT12/16 code, a FAT32 filesystem *is* defective.
> >Next time you get a successful Linux boot, edit the fstab file so that the
> >Win95 filesystem does not auto-mount.  You may find that this cures the
> >problem.

> Yes it is FAT32. I just tried your suggestion. It seemed to work the
> first time I booted win95 and then Linux. Linux booted correctly all
> the way through. So I tried it again...Booted windows then Linux. No
> go. Same problem. One thing was different the first time, might mean
> nothing. I used 'rmmod' to unload the vfat module, then rebooted into
> windows, then Linux. This worked. Another round of reboots and Linux
> *doesn't* boot. I don't really think this is the cause but can someone
> tell me how to prevent the vfat module from loading during boot up? Is
> it a config file I need to edit?

> Thanks for the suggestions.

> Eric Hardwick


the file is /etc/fstab  and yes you need to remove the line mounting
your win95 drive  (find it by the VFAT line) or just change the type to
msdos instead of vfat and it should automount fine.
 
 
 

1. Linux and Windows 95 dual boot using LILO

Hi guys...

I am not sure what I 'm doing wrong in this simple and trivial case of
dual boot installation, so please help...

I have a Pentium III/500 machine, with Windows 95 pre-installed. The
hard disk is a standard EIDE one, with 6GB, partitioned in 3 equal
chunks of 2 GB each, the third of which I am using for Linux.

I did manage to install a RedHat distribution (version 5.2) on the
third partition, without any problems at all, including LILO, and it
runs just fine, apart from the dual boot, which I can't achieve.

LILO isn't installed on the MBR, because of horrific situations a
colleague run himself into, attempting to do such a thing under Windows
NT. Instead, I have placed LILO on the Linux native partition, making
DOS the default boot option. I also asked LILO to produce a
bootsect.lin file, which I put in the C:\ drive.

As this can't be enough by itself, I have then created a boot menu in
the Win95 CONFIG.SYS file, with two options: one is Windows 95 itself,
which works fine, and the other is Linux, which doesn't, because simply
I don't know (and haven't been able to find anywhere) what command
should be executed when the "Linux" option is selected. (In
desperation, I even tried shell=c:\bootsect.lin, which, of course,
didn't work!)

So, could you please tell me how I could achieve dual boot under
Windows 95, without having to resort to loadlin?

Thanks,

Dimitris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. soft linking prior to using

3. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

4. Video Card and X dont match???

5. Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed

6. Can't access 3Com 3C3FEM556C PCMCIA card's modem portion w/o panic

7. [Fwd: Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed]

8. Boot problem to Mandrake 8.0

9. Dual booting with windows 95 and linux

10. Restoring Windows ME Boot after Dual booting Windows and Linux with GRUB - HELP!

11. Linux disables NIC under Windows 95 on dual-boot

12. LINUX and Windows 95/NT Dual Boot

13. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb